Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

more ballast for 247 lsv

wapo961

Last year we had a great time surfing behind the 247 LSV. (Thank you to all who posted on ballast) The problem is that we have 2 regular and 2 goofy in my family. I got it to be pretty consistent with the following.

Surf side full

middle full

bow full

750 in rear locker

400 on surf side seat

400 in bow.

It is a royal pain to flip all of that stuff side to side. I am trying to figure out a way to leave bags in the correct spots and then I can deal with pump issues. I would love to go fully automated, but I can't figure out how to stash all of the bags without taking up all the storage for the Misses.

This leads me to my last question. What is under the floor below the seats on the port side and the coolers on the Starboard side. Check out the pictures

post-7655-125997408135_thumb.jpg

Last year we had a great time surfing behind the 247 LSV. (Thank you to all who posted on ballast) The problem is that we have 2 regular and 2 goofy in my family. I got it to be pretty consistent with the following.

Surf side full

middle full

bow full

750 in rear locker

400 on surf side seat

400 in bow.

It is a royal pain to flip all of that stuff side to side. I am trying to figure out a way to leave bags in the correct spots and then I can deal with pump issues. I would love to go fully automated, but I can't figure out how to stash all of the bags without taking up all the storage for the Misses.

This leads me to my last question. What is under the floor below the seats on the port side and the coolers on the Starboard side. Check out the pictures

The bags will be flat when unfilled obviously and not be taking up any room under the seats. The easiest way to do what you're after is get a couple of Y selector valves like these ( http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1297 ) and just tie into your existing fill pumps for your rear tanks. You'll have to run some new hose but that's about it. Several people have done this at Bakes Marine with sucess and no issues. All you have to do is turn the handle on the selector valve after the stock rear tanks fill and it re-directs the flow to your bags. You will have to add dedicated drain pumps to the bags though, you can splice those into other drain or vent lines from other MLS tanks if you wanted. If you wanted faster fill times adding another pump to either side is easy enough as well.

I'm getting ready to install my new custom sac I had Bakes make with an additional 4 pumps here this winter. I'll post up when it's all done.

You should check out some of these custom surf sac threads, we've done quite a few for 247s now and people have been really happy with them.

06-07-08 247 Bag http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/22343-247-surf-sac-is-here/page__p__325696entry325696

09 23 LSV bag - http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/23912-now-thats-a-big-sac/page__p__348000entry348000

-Paul

The bags will be flat when unfilled obviously and not be taking up any room under the seats. The easiest way to do what you're after is get a couple of Y selector valves like these ( http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1297 ) and just tie into your existing fill pumps for your rear tanks. You'll have to run some new hose but that's about it. Several people have done this at Bakes Marine with sucess and no issues. All you have to do is turn the handle on the selector valve after the stock rear tanks fill and it re-directs the flow to your bags. You will have to add dedicated drain pumps to the bags though, you can splice those into other drain or vent lines from other MLS tanks if you wanted. If you wanted faster fill times adding another pump to either side is easy enough as well.

I'm getting ready to install my new custom sac I had Bakes make with an additional 4 pumps here this winter. I'll post up when it's all done.

another option for valves are these flow-rite valves. They are labeled for fishing boats livewell applications but the concept is the same (diverter) these valves can be coupled with an actuator (just look around the site) that would allow remote switching of the valves to fill one then the other. This valve uses the flow-rite quick connectors (also found on the site).

flow-rite valve

another option for valves are these flow-rite valves. They are labeled for fishing boats livewell applications but the concept is the same (diverter) these valves can be coupled with an actuator (just look around the site) that would allow remote switching of the valves to fill one then the other. This valve uses the flow-rite quick connectors (also found on the site).

flow-rite valve

Correct Craft had issues with those valves on thier boats, not sure I'd trust them. I've never used them myself, just something I heard.

flow-rite valve

Correct Craft had issues with those valves on thier boats, not sure I'd trust them. I've never used them myself, just something I heard.

there was a service bulletin on some flow rite valves leaking in 2003-2005 correct crafts. Those valves don't look at all like the current valves that I linked to though.

here is the link to the service bulletin:

service bulletin

there was a service bulletin on some flow rite valves leaking in 2003-2005 correct crafts. Those valves don't look at all like the current valves that I linked to though.here is the link to the service bulletin:

service bulletin

That's because those valves pictured are the replacement valves they went to not the flow-rite valves they removed and had issues with. Like I said I wouldn't trust them if someone is looking for a proven worry free add on ballast design. I'm sure there are other diverter valves out there.

there was a service bulletin on some flow rite valves leaking in 2003-2005 correct crafts. Those valves don't look at all like the current valves that I linked to though.

here is the link to the service bulletin:

service bulletin

That's because those valves pictured are the replacement valves they went to not the flow-rite valves they removed and had issues with. Like I said I wouldn't trust them if someone is looking for a proven worry free add on ballast design. I'm sure there are other diverter valves out there.

sorry, you are right about those being the replacement valves. I would trust the flow rite valves, that problem is 5 years old.

The replacement valves that CC used are these, i think, TH valves

sorry, you are right about those being the replacement valves. I would trust the flow rite valves, that problem is 5 years old.

The replacement valves that CC used are these, i think, TH valves

Those are the ones.

Question- Have you used the Flow-rite valves for anthing, better yet a ballast system? How did they work?

Those are the ones.

Question- Have you used the Flow-rite valves for anthing, better yet a ballast system? How did they work?

No, have you heard of any problems with Flow Rite valves or fittings lately? Cause if you have it may change my plans.

I do use and love the flow rite quick connect fittings: flow rite quick connects, that one is 3/4" but i plan to redo my ballast using their 1-1/8 fittings and hose (that has been so hard for me to find) from these guys.

They have great documentation on these valves:

Flow Rite V5 Valve documentation

No, have you heard of any problems with Flow Rite valves or fittings lately? Cause if you have it may change my plans.

I do use and love the flow rite quick connect fittings: flow rite quick connects, that one is 3/4" but i plan to redo my ballast using their 1-1/8 fittings and hose (that has been so hard for me to find) from these guys.

They have great documentation on these valves:

Flow Rite V5 Valve documentation

No but CC never going back to them and spending 4X as much on a diverter valve for their ballast systems says something to me.

So looking into the Flow-Rite valve more it looks like to get everything you need it's actually going to be as much or more than the Y diverter from Bakes.

You could always get that Y diverter valve that Bakes has at West Marine for $50 Dontknow.gif .

Edited by 06vlx

No but CC never going back to them and spending 4X as much on a diverter valve for their ballast systems says something to me.

So looking into the Flow-Rite valve more it looks like to get everything you need it's actually going to be as much or more than the Y diverter from Bakes.

You could always get that Y diverter valve that Bakes has at West Marine for $50 Dontknow.gif .

I get promoting shopping at Bakes, Paul is by all accounts a great guy and he surely is generous with his time supporting this site, I have learned a lot from his posts and I would certainly buy from Bakes before I ordered from West Marine.

These valves with the remote switch are an option for someone to consider when installing a ballast system, that's all.

I get promoting shopping at Bakes, Paul is by all accounts a great guy and he surely is generous with his time supporting this site, I have learned a lot from his posts and I would certainly buy from Bakes before I ordered from West Marine.

These valves with the remote switch are an option for someone to consider when installing a ballast system, that's all.

It's not about promoting shopping at Bakes. I looked everywhere for a lower price before I bought one there and obviously I couldn't find one.

My issue with those "lower priced valves" you show is that I don't see where they are designed to be manualy switched. Who wants to wire up that selector switch to it. Doesn't look like there is a good way to mount it other than just plumbing it into the hose and letting it hang there. I don't think that valve was engineered to use manually with a persons hands, the valve I showed is.

You promote shopping from Flow-Rite, for fittings and hose I get it but for valves that you've never personally used I don't. They are not tried and true, in fact quite the opposite as CC stopped using them. Are they bad, I don't know. I do know that when someone asks a question about how to plumb in some ballast to their boat I'm not going to recommend a product that nobody has seen or used and that there are knows issues with in ballast systems. All to save a couple dollars, literally.

You buy some, use them, and report back how good they are and how worth it they are. Until then using them in a ballast system is speculative and hopefull.

Edited by 06vlx

It's not about promoting shopping at Bakes. I looked everywhere for a lower price before I bought one there and obviously I couldn't find one.

My issue with those "lower priced valves" you show is that I don't see where they are designed to be manualy switched. Who wants to wire up that selector switch to it. Doesn't look like there is a good way to mount it other than just plumbing it into the hose and letting it hang there. I don't think that valve was engineered to use manually with a persons hands, the valve I showed is.

You promote shopping from Flow-Rite, for fittings and hose I get it but for valves that you've never personally used I don't. They are not tried and true, in fact quite the opposite as CC stopped using them. Are they bad, I don't know. I do know that when someone asks a question about how to plumb in some ballast to their boat I'm not going to recommend a product that nobody has seen or used and that there are knows issues with in ballast systems. All to save a couple dollars, literally.

You buy some, use them, and report back how good they are and how worth it they are. Until then using them in a ballast system is speculative and hopefull.

i have not promoted or recommended anything, the phrase i used was "as an option".

"lower priced valves" does not mean lower quality. They look to be a better quality than the diverter valve from bakes and west marine.

i have not promoted or recommended anything, the phrase i used was "as an option".

"lower priced valves" does not mean lower quality. They look to be a better quality than the diverter valve from bakes and west marine.

All I can do is laugh at that one ROFL.gif

Oh then again you don't know because you've never actually used or even seen one.

Edit: By the way Cervelo the Y diverter valve in question has a handle that's made of metal and actually designed for a human hand to operate, vs designed to be used with a remote selector switch. Tell me how an all plastic valve looks to be "better quality". Laughable.

Edited by 06vlx

All I can do is laugh at that one ROFL.gif

Oh then again you don't know because you've never actually used or even seen one.

Edit: By the way Cervelo the Y diverter valve in question has a handle that's made of metal and actually designed for a human hand to operate, vs designed to be used with a remote selector switch. Tell me how an all plastic valve looks to be "better quality". Laughable.

it is great the "Y" diverter is designed to be operated by a human hand. i mean that is really great, an actual human hand can operate it. super.

As an option to using the "Y" diverter that can be operated by a human hand, someone who is installing a ballast system may consider the option of using a mostly plastic valve, along with their plastic pump, that can be operated remotely. What is your problem with that?

Another option would be to use the fly high system designed for mastercraft, it is a plastic valve though.

mastercraft additional ballast

it is great the "Y" diverter is designed to be operated by a human hand. i mean that is really great, an actual human hand can operate it. super.

As an option to using the "Y" diverter that can be operated by a human hand, someone who is installing a ballast system may consider the option of using a mostly plastic valve, along with their plastic pump, that can be operated remotely. What is your problem with that?

Another option would be to use the fly high system designed for mastercraft, it is a plastic valve though.

mastercraft additional ballast

Cervelo that would be great. You know the best part is that it's actually been used and people probably have some actual experience with it ;) .

Cervelo that would be great. You know the best part is that it's actually been used and people probably have some actual experience with it ;) .

why do you have such a big concern about using a valve that is widely used in fishing boats, for livewell systems, and adapting it for use in a ballast system?

The flow rite quick connects have been adapted from livewell system use to ballast system use and work great.

It is great that you like your "Y" diverter valve but don't go dissing a product you know nothing about.

why do you have such a big concern about using a valve that is widely used in fishing boats, for livewell systems, and adapting it for use in a ballast system?

The flow rite quick connects have been adapted from livewell system use to ballast system use and work great.

It is great that you like your "Y" diverter valve but don't go dissing a product you know nothing about.

I could say the same about you pushing that product.

I could say the same about you pushing that product.

and you have...but i have not pushed or recommended the flow rite valves to anyone, i simply said the flow rite valves with the remote actuator are an option to the "Y" diverter....that 06vlx is pushing.

Edited by Cervelo

and you have...but i have not pushed or recommended the flow rite valves to anyone, i simply said the flow rite valves with the remote actuator are an option to the "Y" diverter....that 06vlx is pushing.

I do recommend that valve Cervelo because I've actually used it and it works and there is no history of issues with it.

To bad you can't say the same. The parts you need to make that valve work by the way is over $43, wow huge savings.

I'd like to see someone use them and report back on the results, then it would be an option IMO.

Edited by 06vlx

I do recommend that valve Cervelo because I've actually used it and it works and there is no history of issues with it.

To bad you can't say the same. The parts you need to make that valve work by the way is over $43, wow huge savings.

I'd like to see someone use them and report back on the results, then it would be an option IMO.

These valves are used in livewell systems everyday. The pumps and valves on a livewell system get used way more than they would in a ballast application.

i did not mention that option because there may be a cost savings involved. it could have cost more and likely would if this product was for sale at a place like West Marine for example. A flow rite quick connect fitting is $4.00 at a place like West Marine and is $1.43 on the flow rite site over 2.75 times as much, that $43 valve assembly would likely cost near $100 somewhere else.

I think the "Y" diverter valve is an option for someone who wants to toggle the switch by hand and the flow rite vlave is an option for those that want remote control.

You really do not like the flow rite valves, yet you have not given a good reason why you do not like them.

Flow Rite is an international company, the mold shop inside their 47,000 sq ft. manufacturing facility is robot controlled and operates 24/7 in a lights out environment inside the USA. They are an ISO 9001:2000 company. They have been in business over 25 years.

the "Y" diverter... Dontknow.gif China?

These valves are used in livewell systems everyday. The pumps and valves on a livewell system get used way more than they would in a ballast application.

i did not mention that option because there may be a cost savings involved. it could have cost more and likely would if this product was for sale at a place like West Marine for example. A flow rite quick connect fitting is $4.00 at a place like West Marine and is $1.43 on the flow rite site over 2.75 times as much, that $43 valve assembly would likely cost near $100 somewhere else.

I think the "Y" diverter valve is an option for someone who wants to toggle the switch by hand and the flow rite vlave is an option for those that want remote control.

You really do not like the flow rite valves, yet you have not given a good reason why you do not like them.

Flow Rite is an international company, the mold shop inside their 47,000 sq ft. manufacturing facility is robot controlled and operates 24/7 in a lights out environment inside the USA. They are an ISO 9001:2000 company. They have been in business over 25 years.

the "Y" diverter... Dontknow.gif China?

Like I said I would like to see one used in a ballast application to ensure it was a viable option is all.