Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu ends Corvette production at 50 boats

Bake's Marine

When Malibu called it the "Limited Corvette Sport V" They meant it, Malibu announced yesterday that they were ending production at 50 making it even more of a collectors item.

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/malibursquos-corvette-boat-reaches-limit,1074759.shtml

-Paul

I'll offer you double for that pretty silver one then.....

Just curious, how many of the original Corvette boats did Malibu make? Are they considered classics?

I personally think they were better looking boats and, best of all, they were direct drives!

freaking finally! those boats are like the Chevy Avalanche...the only people who like them are the people who own them. i never understood the marketing angle on that boat. maybe looks good on paper, but not in real life. sorry to hate on any of the owners in here.

Edited by stroker-ace

I'll offer you double for that pretty silver one then.....

Sold! It would look good behind the mega....

Just curious, how many of the original Corvette boats did Malibu make? Are they considered classics?

I personally think they were better looking boats and, best of all, they were direct drives!

The original Corvette was a limited edition too, they did it for 3 years 97,98, and 99 and from what I've heard they built 75-100 a year.

The new Corvette with that LS7 would blow the doors off the old Corvette with the Calaway 383. I've driven both and there is a big difference between the two performance wise. I agree with the looks, the new one looks sweet in the water but the old one had a nice sharp look to it too.

Have you ever seen the one in front of the factory in Merced?

post-4023-125995381168_thumb.jpg

-Paul

freaking finally! those boats are like the Chevy Avalanche...the only people who like them are the people who own them. i never understood the marketing angle on that boat. maybe looks good on paper, but not in real life. sorry to hate on any of the owners in here.

hater!! Wink.gif Either you like it or you don't. We sold one of the old Vette's to a guy that used it as his shore tender boat for his 200 ft yacht... practical dingie?

-Paul

Hater, my Avalanche is SWEET! it is a great vehicle and fits my life style and purpose. I like the Silverado's but the Avalanche has more creature comforts for the family. Each vehicle has it's own purpose and owner and I like mine. I do agree though I hate the new Malibu Corvette's, they look horible compared to the older version. I'll stick with my old Echelon LX. To each his own.

Edited by coldwater-echelon

hater!! Wink.gif Either you like it or you don't. We sold one of the old Vette's to a guy that used it as his shore tender boat for his 200 ft yacht... practical dingie?

-Paul

That is awesome!!!! I would love to see a picture of that!

I could never "hate" any corvette... I prefer the older style 'cause it's a hardcore Skiboat, whereas the new style is sort of a crossover hybrid somethin' or other that goes R e a l fast. But, to each their own.

In fact, the gentleman I bought my '97 from is one of the owners of this last 50. He's a collector of the land based 'vettes (has 3 including a '90 Callaway), and I'm sure this boat looks pretty cool in his garage.

Maybe I'll give him a call and have him save it for me...

The Corvette boat was the wrong boat at the wrong time!! They could not sell em!

It was truly a boat for the collector/investor.

If I wanted a kick-azz V-Drive for over 100 grand I'd buy a custom Schiada that would really haul the mail.

But that LS-7 (427) 505 hp motor is now available on the other models!!

To diverge..The new 6.2 LS-3 450 HP is good to replace the 450 HP Vortec 8100 8.1 which will soon cease production.

Edited by funkcity

The Corvette boat was the wrong boat at the wrong time!! They could not sell em!

It was truly a boat for the collector/investor.

If I wanted a kick-azz V-Drive for over 100 grand I'd buy a custom Schiada that would really haul the mail.

But that LS-7 (427) 505 hp motor is now available on the other models!!

To diverge..The new 6.2 LS-3 450 HP is good to replace the 450 HP Vortec 8100 8.1 which will soon cease production.

Wrong time... couldn't agree with you more.

The LS-7 is available since they didn't sell as many Corvettes as they thought so Indmar still has some motors.

The 6.2 LS-3 was actually built to replace the Hammerhead as it no longer in the line up, the 8.1L will remain in production as long as inventory allows for 2010. The 8.1L will possibly be replaced with a supercharged 6.2L but is still well into it's R&D stages in marine.

Engine line up for 2010 is the following:

LS7 Corvette Engine: 505 hp w/470 lb-ft of torque, SPFI and Stainless Steel tuned CAT exhausts.

LS3 Corvette 6.2L Engine: 450 hp w/ 424 lb-ft of torque, SPFI and Stainless Steel tuned CAT exhausts.

Monsoon 350 5.7L Vortec: 350 hp w/397 lb-ft of torque, SPFI and ETX/CAT.

330 LCR: 330 hp, 375 lb-ft of torque and Sequential Port Fuel Injection.

Vortec 8100: 496 cubic-inch, 450 hp w/ 525 lb-ft of torque and SPFI.

-Paul

No, just bring back the regular Response, One of the greatest boats of all time.....I think that the Corvette edition was an "ok" novelty at first, but honestly the money spent on designing and developing the molds for that boat could have been put to much better use somewhere else

According to the guys at East coast Flightcraft you can no longer order a Response closed bow or even an Lx....did I misunderstand them can you still order one ?

The LS-7 is available since they didn't sell as many Corvettes as they thought so Indmar still has some motors.

The 6.2 LS-3 was actually built to replace the Hammerhead as it no longer in the line up, the 8.1L will remain in production as long as inventory allows for 2010. The 8.1L will possibly be replaced with a supercharged 6.2L but is still well into it's R&D stages in marine.

LS7 Corvette Engine: 505 hp w/470 lb-ft of torque, SPFI and Stainless Steel tuned CAT exhausts.

LS3 Corvette 6.2L Engine: 450 hp w/ 424 lb-ft of torque, SPFI and Stainless Steel tuned CAT exhausts.

-Paul

Great engine line-up this year!

If Indmar builds the SC engine with the GM Performance marine unit (derived from the Cadillac CTS-V) it will be a killer combo!

http://www.gm.com/experience/technology/gmpowertrain/engines/specialized/marine/2010_6200_LSA_Marine.pdf

Indmar seems to get more HP out of their offerings as compared to the GM units. Their LS3 gets 32 more hp than the GM Marine unit.

-Paul

is the LS7 a dry sump motor when put in a boat?

According to the guys at East coast Flightcraft you can no longer order a Response closed bow or even an Lx....did I misunderstand them can you still order one ?

Still available - always has been, Malibu just doesn't promote it. I have a 2010 on the showroom floor.

Peter

Nope you can still get them, we sold a 09 Response LX barefoot boat

is the LS7 a dry sump motor when put in a boat?

It is a dry sump, where they would put it in a direct drive? You've got me.

Still available - always has been, Malibu just doesn't promote it. I have a 2010 on the showroom floor.

Peter

I wonder why they have never put it in the brochure, if you have a model why not try and sell it? The Response and the LX compete really well with those small little closed bow Nautiques.

Or maybe even more affordable boats than the Ride or Axis series! Smile.gif

I don't think they can get any cheaper, with labor and material costs i think they are all ready up against the wall with the Ride and Axis boats.

-Paul