Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

TexasLake House Rental?

Harrison256

I wanna get out of Houston this summer and I am looking to rent a lake house with a boat slip preferably for a month or two starting in May. I want it to be on some part of Travis or the lakes it connects too (LBJ, Horseshoe bay, etc.) Where's the best location? Travis is so huge I don't know which part to rent in either to avoid getting a bum deal (not good area, too isolated) Where does everyone typically board in that lake system?

I boarded out around Kingland on LBJ, my buddy has a lakehouse out there, if you head away from the bridge towards the end where it dead ends to rocks its pretty good over there and deep. I have also rented a cabin at the Log Country Cove, they were very nice and they have places where you can store your boat. Well actually most of the cabins allow you to tie your boat up to the cleats on the bulkhead. There is one cabin that does have an actual dock. I just tied mine to the bulkhead cleat because there are very very few boats that come down the cove and when they do they are at a slow creep.

http://www.logcountrycove.com/

Edited by MexTex

Lake Austin is a great place to ride, but the homes for rent may be a bit pricey- not sure what you're hoping to spend. You can almost always find glass, though, as long as it's not too busy.

Hopefully Travis will be full again. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't most of Travis shut down this year due to low water? I saw some pretty horrible pic's of docks sitting on the bottom of the lake, a few boats too (lazy owners). Travis is a pretty kick a** spot though when it is poppin. I haven't been down there since the summer ended, so no clue what the rain over the past few months has done to the water levels...

I boarded out around Kingland on LBJ, my buddy has a lakehouse out there, if you head away from the bridge towards the end where it dead ends to rocks its pretty good over there and deep. I have also rented a cabin at the Log Country Cove, they were very nice and they have places where you can store your boat. Well actually most of the cabins allow you to tie your boat up to the cleats on the bulkhead. There is one cabin that does have an actual dock. I just tied mine to the bulkhead cleat because there are very very few boats that come down the cove and when they do they are at a slow creep.

That is an awesome place. We have tried to get down there for several summers and with it being so popular it's hard to get in there. We used to have our TMC.com Mini WOWs down there on that part of the lake/river (Kingsland).

That doesn't really help me haha...

"Log Country Cove will not accept reservations from college students - no exceptions will be made. If a reservation is made online or by phone by college students and Log Country Cove is not aware of the situation, the group will not be allowed to stay and deposit will be lost. We are sorry about this decision but due to the lack of respect of the log homes and our guests we had no other option."

They could of just put an age limit on it, that's just offensive... That would make more sense. Does this mean high school kids or college dropouts can rent it?

That doesn't really help me haha...

"Log Country Cove will not accept reservations from college students - no exceptions will be made. If a reservation is made online or by phone by college students and Log Country Cove is not aware of the situation, the group will not be allowed to stay and deposit will be lost. We are sorry about this decision but due to the lack of respect of the log homes and our guests we had no other option."

They could of just put an age limit on it, that's just offensive... That would make more sense. Does this mean high school kids or college dropouts can rent it?

Thats funny. Guess they got tired of the spring break crowd trashin their place.

A few years ago my nephew & his college buddies were partying at Havasu & sank a pontoon boat loaded down with people & kegs. A couple years later we met him & some friends there to live it up on a houseboat. He'd been black listed. And my college dropout butt had to rent the houseboat for him. :Doh:

unless you plan to board during the week or very early in the morn. Lake Travis,LBJ are like the ocean on weekends.

If the Perdenales gets some water, that would be the place to rent. And there are some cabins there right next to a ramp and a little park with a quiet cove. But we will need flooding for that part to see boat life.

Lake Travis is coming up, the once connected chain of islands are mostly all now separated.

Lake Austin would be the best for boarding.

unless you plan to board during the week or very early in the morn. Lake Travis,LBJ are like the ocean on weekends.

If the Perdenales gets some water, that would be the place to rent. And there are some cabins there right next to a ramp and a little park with a quiet cove. But we will need flooding for that part to see boat life.

Lake Travis is coming up, the once connected chain of islands are mostly all now separated.

Lake Austin would be the best for boarding.

Are there not places you can always find that are flat on Travis? It's so large I just can't imagine there being some quiet coves or something that are flat all the time?

in/near the main basin, pretty much the water is BAAAAD on the weekend everywhere. The further you go toward the Perd, the less traffic= smoother water, but there arent very many homes that far up.

We went all the way up from mansfield dam to near Barton Creek lakeside in may, it took a couple of hours and there was finally decent water I would have ridden in, it was a long way.

It is really nice during the week.

Travis may fill back up by May if it manages to rain some. If not, LBJ and Lake Austin, both

constant level lakes, would be your best bet. You might check here for possibilities.

LBJ is an ocean on weekends, at least past 10:00 or so in the morning. If you're willing

to get up at the crack of dawn, though, you will be rewarded with decent water for an hour or two.

Weekdays, you shouldn't have a problem.

The best water for boarding/skiing on LBJ is, at least in my experience, up just north of Camp

Champions/Granite Shoals, on up to Kingsland, and then up the Colorado river branch as far as

you care to go. The south end of the lake (Horseshoe Bay) is typically rougher (because

of winds and the volume of boat/jetski traffic).