Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Leave gas in Tanks?

I have a 247 and store the boat in my insulated temp controlled work shop. I live in the central valley of California, so we dont deal with a heavy winter. My issue is what to do with the 60 or so gallons of premium gas in the tanks. Gas has been in the boat since Sept a will not be used till March or April. Should I siphon and refill in the spring?

I have a 247 and store the boat in my insulated temp controlled work shop. I live in the central valley of California, so we dont deal with a heavy winter. My issue is what to do with the 60 or so gallons of premium gas in the tanks. Gas has been in the boat since Sept a will not be used till March or April. Should I siphon and refill in the spring?

Copious Stabil and run it long enough for the treated fuel to get into the engine.

Copious Stabil and run it long enough for the treated fuel to get into the engine.

Thats what I've been doing since 2004, And it's easy enough for me to start and run the boat for 15 minutes every month or so.

To bad you didn't get the stabil in there during Sept. But like they say, hindsight is 20/20. I don't foresee any problems. Maybe top off the tank before the first start of spring and you should be good to go.

The one thing everyone misses about storing their boats with gas in them is that the vent to the tank is completely open to the atmosphere. That gas is going to evaporate and will most likely cause a fuel vapor smell in your storage. I'd drain it if you can do it easily.

I found an easy way to drain my tank via the fuel pressure schrader valve on the fuel rail and drain my tank any time I know the boat is going to sit. My boat is outside in a hot sun and I know the gas evaporates pretty quickly.

I have always stored boat with full tank all winter and Stabil added. Have never noticed gas smell in garage due to full tank. Now if there was ever a fire, I suppose the 50 gallons of fuel wouldn't help the situation any.

I have always stored boat with full tank all winter and Stabil added. Have never noticed gas smell in garage due to full tank. Now if there was ever a fire, I suppose the 50 gallons of fuel wouldn't help the situation any.

Well, no, but then we could help you pick out your new boat.

I think if one had a fire and the fuel become an issue the fiberglass would be burning and its going to be a job to put it out.

I have stored my boats with fuel for more than 15 years never a problem. I do as many have posted I put a generous dose of Stabil in the fuel and run it for some time to be sure the fuel with Stabil is through the entire fuel system. It stops fuel from gumming as well as holds the octane in the fuel.

When the fuel tanks were made from aluminum I would either fill or empty the tank to slow condensation but with the new polymer tanks its not a problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Stabil goes in right after filling the boat with gas the last time before storage. Per Malibu's instruction, I have always filled my tank completely full with gas before winterization. I live in Utah, where we have pretty severe winters. It's already been in single digits here. I keep the boat in the garage, but no climate control. Still gets very cold. For 2 years now I've had no problem whatsoever starting the boat in the spring. Be sure to do like those before have recommended. Run the engine after putting the stabil in to cycle through the engine.

Stabil goes in right after filling the boat with gas the last time before storage. Per Malibu's instruction, I have always filled my tank completely full with gas before winterization. I live in Utah, where we have pretty severe winters. It's already been in single digits here. I keep the boat in the garage, but no climate control. Still gets very cold. For 2 years now I've had no problem whatsoever starting the boat in the spring. Be sure to do like those before have recommended. Run the engine after putting the stabil in to cycle through the engine.

It's not necessary to fill your gas tank before storage, it is however important to run the stabil during the last tank so that it gets into the fuel delivery lines.

Something I've always wondered about Stabil. You fill your tank with 38 gallons of gas, then add the right amount of Stabil, then run your engine for 5-15 minutes to get it into the fuel system. Got it. However, if I add the stabil to the full tank of gas does it magically disperse equally to all 38 gallons or does it stay at the top? How does it get mixed? If not mixed and fuel pick-up is at the bottom of the tank, then none of it gets to the fuel system.

Something I've always wondered about Stabil. You fill your tank with 38 gallons of gas, then add the right amount of Stabil, then run your engine for 5-15 minutes to get it into the fuel system. Got it. However, if I add the stabil to the full tank of gas does it magically disperse equally to all 38 gallons or does it stay at the top? How does it get mixed? If not mixed and fuel pick-up is at the bottom of the tank, then none of it gets to the fuel system.

Good question, that's why I did figure 8's for about 5 minutes after I put mine in!!

It's not necessary to fill your gas tank before storage, it is however important to run the stabil during the last tank so that it gets into the fuel delivery lines.

Depends on your boat. If it's an older boat with a metal tank like mine you have to watch. If it is stored at a constant temp it's no big deal to store a metal tank half full, but if it's outside or somewhere the temp will fluctuate a lot, I would drain it or store it topped off so condensation doesn't get water in the fuel.

Edited by martinarcher

Depends on your boat. If it's an older boat with a metal tank like mine you have to watch. If it is stored at a constant temp it's no big deal to store a metal tank half full, but if it's outside or somewhere the temp will fluctuate a lot, I would drain it or store it topped off so condensation doesn't get water in the fuel.

Wow I didn't even know they still used metal tanks even back then. My comments were geared more towards newer boats but that info is good to know.

Wow I didn't even know they still used metal tanks even back then. My comments were geared more towards newer boats but that info is good to know.

Yep - all the older Bu's had stainless tanks. I figured you were referring to the newer Bu's, but I saw someone in the thread had an 85' so I thought I'd throw it out there so everyone is aware. Thumbup.gif

post-7666-126143190428_thumb.jpg

Near the end of the season, I always keep Stabill in the tank. This year I got out 2 or 3 times with Stabill in the tank. That way I know it is well mixed and run through the entire system. If I don't get to run it on the lake, I would drive it around the block a time or two to mix it well then run engine to fill system with treated fuel. I don't know if it will mix without agitation.

Next season I am going to start using stabil full time. I think it is probably worth it.

Especially the marine formula for counteracting the negative effects of the ethanol on our fuel systems and engine parts.

Especially the marine formula for counteracting the negative effects of the ethanol on our fuel systems and engine parts.

Exactly. I have been worried about my carb so I started using it last year throughout the season.