Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

its freezing in Texas

stroker-ace

It's sunny clear and low 60's here...whoo hoo. Just feed the longhorns more beans....lol

haha...no worries, it will be 70 and sunny again next week, i am sure.

I had to laugh yesterday when I saw the Weather Channel headline about snow falling in Dallas and I've yet to see a flake this year in Detroit. But apparently that's all about to change today and tomorrow.

I live in North Georgia and we are forecasted to have snow Friday night/Saturday morning. My daughter lives in MN and they have not had snow yet.

I was going to come in here first thing in the morning and post about this- beat me to it!

My question: Spoke with the guys at CTWS, and they told me how to drain the water out of the block of my '09 VTX. Anybody have any tips for this? Seemed fairly straightforward, but you know how those things can go...

t

Piece of cake. Disconnect the two small hoses that come off the exhaust manifolds. They're joined together by a regular garden hose coupler. Let that drain to the bilge.

Pull off the raw water intake from the bottom of the water pump. Again, let drain to bilge.

Do you have a shower? If so, there will be a brass nipple on one side of the engine with a hose coming off it. Remove that hose to drain. If you don't have a shower, there will be a plug down there. Just remove it and store it for safe keeping.

On the other side of the engine, there is a brass fitting with a wire coming off of it. That's your knock sensor. Pull the wire and remove the sensor.

Block is drained. Now the next question, do you have a heater? Also, you should consider pulling hoses from the transmission housing as well to drain the v drive unit.

I was going to come in here first thing in the morning and post about this- beat me to it!

My question: Spoke with the guys at CTWS, and they told me how to drain the water out of the block of my '09 VTX. Anybody have any tips for this? Seemed fairly straightforward, but you know how those things can go...

t

PM Pistol Pete for a winterization guide.

If you are really worried about a hard freeze you want to drain manifolds (hose connects between then in front of block), heater, shower, impeller lines, etc.

Edit - UW posted while I was responding, so ditto what he says!

As for freezing in Texas, this thread might need to move to the Off Topic Hot Topics forum! Global Warming? Sure thing, as long as you are Al Gore and heavily invested in the perpetuating fear of the masses for your own profit.

Edited by MalibuTime

It's winter.

I live in the northern part of the country.

I'm struggling to feel your pain.

But hopefully no issues with the boat.

Plus1.gif We've had several snowstorms already this year with more on the way this weekend. Hopefully the state of Texas doesn't shut down over this. The bit that Bill Engvall does about snow in Dallas comes to mind. :lol:

Some of us like it. I live 30 minutes from some of the best powder on the west coast. Besides, I couldn't take the humidity where you live. That was brutal. Literally, I'm not kidding or exaggerating at all about this, it was 80 in Dallas when we flew out, & when we landed in Portland it was 100 & felt infinitely better.

Some of us like it. I live 30 minutes from some of the best powder on the west coast. Besides, I couldn't take the humidity where you live. That was brutal. Literally, I'm not kidding or exaggerating at all about this, it was 80 in Dallas when we flew out, & when we landed in Portland it was 100 & felt infinitely better.

Thumbup.gif Yes, I get that. Some of us like the heat & humidity. Where your part of the country sees it as comedy about our reaction to the cold, it makes perfect sense to me. Just what you are used to I suppose. We see snow and freezing weather as a inconvenience, at best, unless you're a hunter Guns.gif .

oh, it is freaking chaos here when it snows/freezes. there are many deaths due to one reason. two cars will get into a fender bender, the drivers will get out to take a look at it and the next vehicle by skids right into them...dead. the lack of common sense is appalling.

curiously, the knock sensor is not installed on my boat, just a brass plug on either side. I know enough about cars to know i need to be running a knock sensor. at least i run nothing but 93 octane, so i doubt i have been detonating.

quick question. do i need to disconnect anything from my direct drive tranny? i did disconnect the tranny cooler hoses. i followed all the steps in the indmar manual...i think.

I keep my boat out at Canyon Lake north of San Antonio in the Hill Country where it's usually 10 degrees colder than SA. I have it in an indoor storage but it gets like a refridgerator in there when cold. I've always lifted the engine cover up place my electric oil heater in the boat. I keep the heat just low enough so it doesn't freeze. Never had a problem.

Edited by wildroot56

It is suppose to rain and snow here all next week. Our first real storm. Sunday to Sunday. I hate the cold and rain but if we don't get it we won't have the water in the lakes so I guess it's a good thing.

Plus1.gif We've had several snowstorms already this year with more on the way this weekend. Hopefully the state of Texas doesn't shut down over this. The bit that Bill Engvall does about snow in Dallas comes to mind. LOL.gif

That Bill Engvall skit is not too far off the truth! I have only been here two years and haven't completely lost my CO nativeness when it comes to cold weather. When it gets below 50 here peeps are layering up like it's -10 or something and when it snows! OMG! The thing is that it's truly dangerous on the roads because there are a bunch of people who don't know how to drive in the snow, really, and a bunch of people who saw how to drive int he snow on a movie or something... It's bad.

That Bill Engvall skit is not too far off the truth! I have only been here two years and haven't completely lost my CO nativeness when it comes to cold weather. When it gets below 50 here peeps are layering up like it's -10 or something and when it snows! OMG! The thing is that it's truly dangerous on the roads because there are a bunch of people who don't know how to drive in the snow, really, and a bunch of people who saw how to drive int he snow on a movie or something... It's bad.

I believe it. Snow in western Oregon & Washington is a thing to behold in terms of the quality of the drivers on the road, & they actually get snow a couple of times per year. I can't imagine how much worse it must be in a place like Texas.

Austin/Lakeway...we had a snow shower that lasted MAYBE 30 min. (a little off & on) before noon today.

Silly thing is that our school district was the only one that had already decided to dismiss school early because of the forcast. When the girls got home is was sunny..but very very cold!

The shower was pretty.

The thing is, it never really snows here. We get freezing rain and ice. So it is not like driving in snow, where you at least have some traction. It is straight up ice. It gets bad. I know how to drive (cuz I was raised in hot rods) and I dont even go out b/c someone is sure to hit me while I am driving straight.

We got 5" on Saturday and everything looks very pretty.

Dumb thing was, Saturday was The Snowland Dance at our high school, which is bigger then the prom in our parts, but "they" canceled it about 40 minutes before start time due to . . . . yes, snow. All the stupid flowers went to waste, all the $ spent on hair and nails, gone. Oh well.