Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Andy's new ski

beef

I had heard it wouldn't be sold through the normal O'Brien channels, but I just assumed that meant it was going to be a special-order kind of thing that you had to buy directly through Andy.

Never would have guessed this.

Jobe must have shelled out some serious cash to get this - good investment in my opinion.

Mike

Next thing will be Andy designing a boat for MB or Gekko or something.

It's a lot of hype for a water ski, personally, I tried to 6AM and didn't find that it was "all that" kind of like the Monza wasn't all that either. Wouldn't it be nice if someone came out with a product after hyping it and it really delivered as promised.

Here's my prediction: In November, when it's due to come out, there will be 5 maybe 6 folks that ride it and 3 of those folks will post reviews all over raving about how it "fill in the blank" and then come next spring we will see a few of them and then people start asking about set up and fins and blah, blah, the people will start talking about how they broke one. Ultimately, it's just carbon fiber and a core- it's what the rider does that's special.

I agree with SkiSix. Almost every new ski released follows a particular life cycle.

Months of hype followed by everyone and their uncle trying to buy it (unsuccessfully) because there are limited quantities/sizes. Finally skis become available to the public (for a nice chunk of change). Then comes the part where skiers love the ski (some hate it), and then comes the tweaking of the fin. Finally, after all the above are resolved, that person is ready to try the next new ski that comes out, because they buy into the hype.

See - Goode 9600, 9700, D3 Custom series followed by the X5 and now Nomad, SixAM, HO Truth then Monza.

The companies that stay out of this pretty well are Connelly and Obrien.

Oh yah - the world record is on the SixAM, think we'll see CP switch to the Jobe? Again, like SkiSix said, its the skier, not the ski. We could probably watch CP run 28 off with his feet duct taped to a 2x4.

Do you know anything about the Jobe Edge?  I saw this on Performance's website.  I've never heard of it.

The Jobe Edge is the HO CDX. Jobe bought the mold from them (Jobe has bought several molds to HO/Hyperlite).

I have thought of getting a CDX from Wiley's. Would there be any difference between the HO at Wiley and the Jobe Edge?

I'm not disagreeing with skisix's point, that skis don't make the skier, but I see people who just genuinely enjoy getting a new ski and having fun learning how to ride it. I don't see that they "buy into the hype", they don't expect to hop on it and run another pass. They're just having fun. It's like getting a new car. Do you really need a new car? Probably not. Is it going to do anything much different than your old car. Probably not. Is it a helluva lot of fun getting a new car. Hell yeah!

What possible fun would these stupid sports be if there was one "perfect" boat, one "perfect ski"...It would be boring in my opinion. I look forward to seeing people get excited about riding a new ski for the first time, and then hearing discussions in the boat about it. And then doing it all over again!

Some people have as much fun trying new equipment as they do running another pass. More power to them. And don't forget, they're the ones who are really supporting the industry.

Good points, all. Mapple/Jobe's new ski is definitely another 2 lb, $1,000, carbon stick. There's quite a few to choose from, as referenced above. I went from a KD 7000 to an X5 last year, and obviously noticed an immediate difference in the skis. I didn't pick up an instant extra pass like I'd dreamed of, but the lighter ski is just faster/easier.

I don't know about all the minute differences among the high end skis, and a lot of them seem remarkably similar. But, I have looked over most of the new sticks and can see some pretty stark differences in bevel, rocker, etc. I guess the bottom line is, if you don't have wads of spare cash you always take a chance with a new ski. Very few good demo programs are available.

All the hype aside, I have to believe that Andy Mapple knows a lot about what makes a ski work. I'd sure like to try one...

What possible fun would these stupid sports be if there was one "perfect" boat, one "perfect ski"...It would be boring in my opinion.  I look forward to seeing people get excited about riding a new ski for the first time, and then hearing discussions in the boat about it.  And then doing it all over again!

What are saying? There is one: RLXi and a Carbonworx Outlaw.

Andy knows a lot about what helps his skiing, his style and his technique. He does incredibly well on the water but, I didn't care for the 6AM because my style and technique are greatly different.

It's a good point about trying different stuff. In the middle of the season I always go into a slump and the quickest thing to getting me out of it is to change something. Try a different ski, move the fin position, try a different speed.

What possible fun would these stupid sports be if there was one "perfect" boat, one "perfect ski"...It would be boring in my opinion.  I look forward to seeing people get excited about riding a new ski for the first time, and then hearing discussions in the boat about it.  And then doing it all over again!

What are saying? There is one: RLXi and a Carbonworx Outlaw.

True on the boat...but, how long did it take you to figure that out? Would you have preferred just one boat brand because it was perfect, or is it fun changin it up? My bottom line is to have fun, as I'm sure yours is too six.

what where you guys saying about the hype of new skis??

"This new ski is already being hailed as the fastest, most balanced and predictable competition waterski ever made!! Rocket fast across the wake, unmatched angle out of the turn, with the predictable smooth balance every skier at any level will benefit from..."

(off the link to performance)

time will tell.... ROFL.gifYahoo.gifSurprised.gifRockon.gifLove.gifThumbup.gif

and its months away!

I think it's that way with all kinds of gear - wakeboards, foils, heck, look at the winter industry. How many of you know people that get new snow skis or a new snowboard every year? I know plenty (I do live in a ski town, so my perspective may be a bit skewed). Anyway, if you read & believe the hype that comes with any of these things, then of course, you'd be ready to go buy it that day. Some may do it for this reason, thinking that it will make them a better skier, but some will buy just for the thrill of a new toy to play with. After all, there are people out there with more money than good sense. :)