Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

08 23' LSV

My 08 23 LSV has 90 hours and this last season, someone stepped down on the cushion (center, back of the boat) and the vinyl was torn at the seam. The design of this back cushion is poor and should have an actual place to step....Malibu provides a great deck to get out of the water, then you walk across a nice, no slip deck between the storage doors (on the '08) and then you step down on a vinyle cushion seam. If you step too far to to the front of the cushion, the cushion will flip forward, exposing the bin beneath.... poor design. In addition, the front triangle shaped cushion has a wear area that has worn through on the corner.

Questions:

1) I assume this covered under warranty?

2) Has anyone had this problem.... I know if they fix it under warranty, it's going to happen again. A 250lb guy stepping down off the back ...right onto the cushion seam..... the seam doesn't have a chance long term (or short term in my case). Any other solutions out there?

3) I have photos but not sure how to post.

PS....love the boat overall and have recommended buying one to a buddy but it's frustrating to buy triple stiched high quality vinyl and have it rip on the 2nd summer of use.

Thanks,

Chad

My 08 23 LSV has 90 hours and this last season, someone stepped down on the cushion (center, back of the boat) and the vinyl was torn at the seam. The design of this back cushion is poor and should have an actual place to step....Malibu provides a great deck to get out of the water, then you walk across a nice, no slip deck between the storage doors (on the '08) and then you step down on a vinyle cushion seam. If you step too far to to the front of the cushion, the cushion will flip forward, exposing the bin beneath.... poor design. In addition, the front triangle shaped cushion has a wear area that has worn through on the corner.

Questions:

1) I assume this covered under warranty?

2) Has anyone had this problem.... I know if they fix it under warranty, it's going to happen again. A 250lb guy stepping down off the back ...right onto the cushion seam..... the seam doesn't have a chance long term (or short term in my case). Any other solutions out there?

3) I have photos but not sure how to post.

PS....love the boat overall and have recommended buying one to a buddy but it's frustrating to buy triple stiched high quality vinyl and have it rip on the 2nd summer of use.

Thanks,

Chad

I'm not certain but I believe that would fall under the category or normal wear and tear, meaning the warranty most likely won't cover it. Although that's just what the document says, Malibu has been known to go above and beyond on occasion. If you want it to hold up for the long or short term I suggest you tell people not to step on your seats. They could always plop down on the vdrive compartment pads and then put their feet straight onto the floor from there (I just hope malibu doesn't tell you the same)

Chad,

It's not a design flaw, the cushions are made that way for a reason so they are comfortable to sit in not to stand on.

We've made carpeted steps to replace the cushion in the back for customers before for the people that had to stand there. The easiest thing to do if people won't sit down (next to the pylon) and put their feet on the floor is to put a towel across your back seat and let people to know to step/stand there. So your right, if it gets replaced it will happen again because the seats are not designed to stand on. 250 lbs. of pressure the size of your foot is a lot more than if you were sitting distributing your weight across the seat.

Malibu's vinyl and stitching is the best of what the market has to offer so it doesn't get much better than that.

Also make sure your religiously treating your vinyl with 303 Conditioner as this keeps the vinyl soft and pliable. Over time with UV, sun tan lotion, oils from your skin, etc your vinyl will harden and normally tear at the seams like you are describing too.

Supply photos to your local dealer and they will contact Malibu to find out if it is warrant-able or not. If you don't have a local dealer (which I'm finding a lot of people don't anymore) i can help you get in touch with the people at the factory that could let you know.

Hope this helps you out

-Paul

I'm not certain but I believe that would fall under the category or normal wear and tear, meaning the warranty most likely won't cover it. Although that's just what the document says, Malibu has been known to go above and beyond on occasion. If you want it to hold up for the long or short term I suggest you tell people not to step on your seats. They could always plop down on the vdrive compartment pads and then put their feet straight onto the floor from there (I just hope malibu doesn't tell you the same)

It is considered wear and tear and it isn't. I would say it's handled case by case. Malibu will want photos, close up, far away, and a shot of the interior of the boat to determine vice versa.

If people have to step on the seats, laying down a folded up towel or something to help avoid pulling the vinyl so hard will make a really big difference.

-Paul

I had the torn seam issue with my 2004 23 LSV. I now have 225 hours on my 2008 23 LSV and have not had any problems. Both boats were used the same way by the same people............including a 250 pounder. I hope this info helps.

Edit...........I wipe down the vinyl after each use and use 303 every 3-4 weeks.

Edited by skyskier

The last owner had one replaced and I am also..... No issue with my dealer.... BTW my buddy had one replaced on his also

I wipe my seats down all the time and also use a conditioner every few weeks. Once I have to pay for this repair myself I'll have one made without the "piping" because this is where all the issues seem to be...

Edited by aaudii5150