Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which wakesurf board for me?

Harrison256

So me and my friends are all around 5'11-6'2 and from 190-220 lbs. We are going to be riding behind a 2006 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV w/the stock ballast and possibly 1 single 300lb additional fat sac most likely to be placed in the right v-drive compartment. None of us has ever wakesurfed before and we will all be using this board. My girlfriend wants to get me one for x-mas and I have no idea which one to pick. I do want something that looks as good as it rides and as far as I can deduce I would probably enjoy a "Surf" board over a "Skim" board.

So any suggestions? It would be nice to get one from the-house.com because a member on here is selling $100 gift cards for $80 (although I haven't checked into it to see if its a scam yet since the member only has 5 posts).

Edit: The gift cards are not a scam I was mistaken and didn't realize the poster actually had 15 posts and was a Crew Supporter...Sorry! Not out to slander anyone

Edited by Harrison256

Also what kind of racks do I have on my boat and can someone link me to the equivalent surf rack? The only things I know about my boat so far are through pictures until its finished getting cleaned up. My stock racks can be seen in the attached link.

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Images.aspx?ItemID=818307&ImageID=28611

Also what kind of racks do I have on my boat and can someone link me to the equivalent surf rack? The only things I know about my boat so far are through pictures until its finished getting cleaned up. My stock racks can be seen in the attached link.

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Images.aspx?ItemID=818307&ImageID=28611

check out the Titan racks designed for the tower.Malibu rack combinations

• 1 month later...

It is too late for you for Christmas, but.... Get the hyperlite for a first board. The one just a bit over 5 feet. I think it is 5'4". You need a board everyone can enjoy at first. Once you get better, you can go for a shorter slicker board. You will be sad if you go for the trick board too soon, plus the hyperlite is way fun for the entire first season....then you will want to hunt for a shorter board so you can try more tricks.

By the way, you gotta have some more ballast than the 300. If you stick with the 300, put it in the back locker you are surfing on, fill your back (only the one), center, and front tanks. Then, load everyone (more is better) into the side seats all on one side (but do not get so far to the side that you get the fuel vent or rub rail below water when you are stopped). Someone in front is good too. I even stand on the left side when I'm driving and we are surfing regular. Goofy is easier cuz I can sit in the drivers seat.

That 23LSV will throw a MONSTER wave. Have fun. Drive safe. Take your time making your turn to go back at get your swimmer. Don't swamp your boat on the turn. One other tip...on anything but a private lake, turn a large circle in the direction you are surfing. This will make the surf wave bigger and also the circle will cause your huge waves to crash against each other and eat each other up....that way the neighbors won't hate on you so bad (plus you get the bigger wave by turning a slight circle...everyone wins!)

Edited by SC Fam

Congrats on the new boat, we are also in Houston and used to have a 23LSV. Do not make the mistake that most make and buy a beginner wakesurfer i.e. HL Broadcast, LF skim/skate, etc. you and the crew will get bored really quick. Buy something like a used Inland Surfer-Blue Lake if you are intrested in surf or Phase5 Oogle if you are intrestred in skim, honestly I think that the Oogle is one of the best bangs for your buck as a first wakesurf board. Shoot me a PM when it warms up a little, we have a stack of boards you and your crew are welcome to try before you buy something. I will have to look in my storage but, I think I might have some ballast bags we used on the LSV, if so I would let them go cheap. Anyway hit us up we would be happy to show you the ropes one weekend.

Congrats on the new boat, we are also in Houston and used to have a 23LSV. Do not make the mistake that most make and buy a beginner wakesurfer i.e. HL Broadcast, LF skim/skate, etc. you and the crew will get bored really quick. Buy something like a used Inland Surfer-Blue Lake if you are intrested in surf or Phase5 Oogle if you are intrestred in skim, honestly I think that the Oogle is one of the best bangs for your buck as a first wakesurf board. Shoot me a PM when it warms up a little, we have a stack of boards you and your crew are welcome to try before you buy something. I will have to look in my storage but, I think I might have some ballast bags we used on the LSV, if so I would let them go cheap. Anyway hit us up we would be happy to show you the ropes one weekend.

I am also looking for a first board myself. It is for the family, we are all beginners, me, my wife, and two daughters under 10. And when you say surf vs, skim, I dont get the difference. When i learned I think it was on a surf board.