Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

oil at v drive

i have a little oil reside at v-drive can see a little on hull just bought the boat anyone else had this issue looks as if the gasket may be leaking do those bolts work loose or is there another common problem

I would do a real good job cleaning it and keep your eye on it. You will be able to tell how bad it is or if maybe the previous owner just spilled some while topping it off. No need to panic yet but keep a close eye on it.

Those walter V-drives were bomb proof it seemed so clean up the area really good and see if anything comes back. I bet it is just residue from a service

-Paul

The filler cap on the Walter V drive has little vents that can splash out oil especially if you are surfing, that is due to the listing of the boat. Just keep an eye on it and keep it filled above the low mark. Also check the oil pressure sensor on the port side of the walter v drive that is thread into the drive. Sometimes oil can leak from that spot.

• 4 months later...

When I went to put my boat in the water on Friday I found a puddle of oil between the fuel tank and the center ballast tank (low point of the hull during storage). I checked the engine dipstick, transmission, and v-drive and found the v-drive to be 3/4 quart low. I am going to try and inspect it again today to see where it may be leaking out. Has anyone else had this issue? There is no obvious leak that I can see from the top of the v-drive.

When I went to put my boat in the water on Friday I found a puddle of oil between the fuel tank and the center ballast tank (low point of the hull during storage). I checked the engine dipstick, transmission, and v-drive and found the v-drive to be 3/4 quart low. I am going to try and inspect it again today to see where it may be leaking out. Has anyone else had this issue? There is no obvious leak that I can see from the top of the v-drive.

I found a very similar thing when starting the de-winterization project this weekend. I haven't gotten to that part of the project yet to see exactly what is going on. I'll be interested to hear how your situation plays out and see if I have the same issue.

Thats basically all the fluid in your v-drive have you used the boat with a bashed/dinged prop at all? If so you probably damaged the rear seal...

Thats basically all the fluid in your v-drive have you used the boat with a bashed/dinged prop at all? If so you probably damaged the rear seal...

No I have not, but when I ran my hand on the underside of the v-drive where the drive shaft comes out I could feel the oil. You may be onto something. I took it in to the dealer on Tuesday and will post when I hear back from them. Hopefully it is nothing major.

No I have not, but when I ran my hand on the underside of the v-drive where the drive shaft comes out I could feel the oil. You may be onto something. I took it in to the dealer on Tuesday and will post when I hear back from them. Hopefully it is nothing major.

Any news?

Any news?

I took it into the shop last week. They found that there was some paint on the v-drive right around the drive shaft that was forcing the shaft seal to open up slightly. I am glad that it was nothing major, but they had to pull the v drive to get to the bottom of this :(

I took it into the shop last week. They found that there was some paint on the v-drive right around the drive shaft that was forcing the shaft seal to open up slightly. I am glad that it was nothing major, but they had to pull the v drive to get to the bottom of this :(

mine ended up bieng the four bolts on the bottom not being completly tight that has seem to fix mine

So correct me if Im wrong you are saying they told you that the shaft out of the v-drive to the coupler had paint on it causing it to leak? This is an 05? with how many hours on it? and it just started leaking over last winter sounds fishy to me? That shaft spins everytime in the boat is in gear obviously... if it were spinning for normal use since 05 it would have wore off the paint by now and not leaked or its been leaking the whole time just my 2 cents...?