Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

First boat in my name.

jk13

So, after looking for the right deal since August, I found one. I was looking at Mastercraft 205s, SNOBs, Supras and more recently, the Echelon caught my eye. It had the walk through instead of the playpen, which we liked, and a ski locker in the floor in front of the pylon. It needs some minor work, moslty cosmetic, but the interior is very nice minus one cut, and it runs and drives really well (The test drive two days after Thanksgiving was 35 degrees and well worth it). I will post before and after pictures in spring because that's when most of the work will probably take place--it's Hockey season.

I will say that reading these forums definitely helped me make up my mind on Malibu Boats, even though most of yours are much newer and nicer than this one, it seems that the Echelon falls in good favor.

I do have two questions though:

1. What is the difference between the Echelon and the Echelon LX? Is it the open bow, or motor options, instrumentation? My boat is very basic, carburated, no computers or steering wheel controls, and I'm glad for it, just trying to determine model.

2. Could someone with an Echelon post a picture of the bottom of the bottom of the back seat (not a typo) please? Mine is missing the riser that goes under the bottom seat cushion, so it's sitting on the floor. I will build one out of composite decking material, but I need to decide which direction to go; a) attach it to the seat for support so we can use it as a sundeck as designed, or b) raise the bottom of the arm rests and attach a taller riser to the floor (one each side of the floor access panel) for under seat storage--I'm thinking 4" in the back and 6" in the front for riser height instead of the factory 2/4.

Thanks guys, you've been a great help already!

LX = open bow (both flavors). The closed bow didn't have a moniker, it was just "Echelon".

Congratulations, the Echelon is a great boat that was way ahead of its time. The walk-through is a desirable feature & definitely something that will help with resale in the future.

Congrats! I have the same boat, except I'm blessed with the state of the art computron. I'll try to get a picture of the rear seat. Nice idea with raising it all up a bit, but be carefull with the occupants, there isn't a lot of gunnel/depth to 'er, and with some chop and tight turns you could lose a person. You may be better off to design some netting under the gunnels for storage along the sides instead, something that is pretty standard with newer Direct Drives.

I have a 94 Echelon LX also,it is a sweet boat and havn't had any problems. bought it brand new and just normal every year fluid changes,impeller every other year with a drive shaft packing check and steering adjust and it is good to go. Congrats on the new purchase,have fun on the water this year! Thumbup.gif

Thanks, guys.

Michigan, our boats are twins on the outside minus the tower. It says in your profile that you wet sanded and buffed the outside--how bad was it, and how long has it lasted without getting oxidized again, assuming it was before. I just talked to our body shop and they said once it starts to oxidize, you have to redo it every spring because it keeps coming back, even with paint sealer or constant waxing.

I did think about the low gunnels, but I hope a 2 inch rise wouldn't be unsafe. I'll remove the arm rests and build a temporary platform for garage testing before committing. Side netting is already on the list, as well--good idea.

Wakes--I'm mid-life crisis-ing. I have never run a buoy course other than on a stand up jet ski for fun when I was a young punk. I now have two kids 12 & 6 and got my son up on the boom on my brother's Mastercraft this summer. We always had boats growing up (outboards) and I've always wanted an inboard, especially since my brother got his 1991 PS190. We don't get to his place as often as we should, so we bought our own.

Any way, I do slalom, but just enough to see how far over I can lean and to get myself "velocitized" for a wakeboard run. It's amazing how slow and "soft" everything feels at 21mph versus 34... It gives me more confidence on my board to try new and stupid things. I do enjoy both, however and I don't need a 3' wake to have fun on a wakeboard.

Considering the best bang for your buck, you couldn't have made a better choice in buying a Echelon. The Echelon has proven a reliable and very trouble free boat over the years(with the exception of the Computron). Killer runs for the slalom skier and with a wedge and some ballast you can dial in a good wake for some boarding or even some surfin.

Welcome to site!

Thumbup.gif

Thanks, guys.

Michigan, our boats are twins on the outside minus the tower. It says in your profile that you wet sanded and buffed the outside--how bad was it, and how long has it lasted without getting oxidized again, assuming it was before. I just talked to our body shop and they said once it starts to oxidize, you have to redo it every spring because it keeps coming back, even with paint sealer or constant waxing.

I did think about the low gunnels, but I hope a 2 inch rise wouldn't be unsafe. I'll remove the arm rests and build a temporary platform for garage testing before committing. Side netting is already on the list, as well--good idea.

It was a sickening shade of pink when I got it, rarely covered and neglected. After the wet sanding I waked it twice last season, and it has held up perfectly. It was kept on a covered boat lift too. The transom had some fading start to come back, but that part was subject to the sun from 6pm to 10pm. But a little light compound will take care of that this winter, and I do plan on hitting the whole boat again with rubbing compound & new wax just for kicks and to keep her looking good & red. So WakeGirl was right on that one, no problems at all.

I'll get a pic of the seat tonight.

I do enjoy both, however and I don't need a 3' wake to have fun on a wakeboard.

Ha, I used to say that too. Then you get used to 180's and simple board grabs, read a magazine or watch something on TV and say "If he can do an invert, why can't I?" It's addicting. I'm adding ballast this year. :)

It was a sickening shade of pink when I got it, rarely covered and neglected. After the wet sanding I waked it twice last season, and it has held up perfectly. It was kept on a covered boat lift too. The transom had some fading start to come back, but that part was subject to the sun from 6pm to 10pm. But a little light compound will take care of that this winter, and I do plan on hitting the whole boat again with rubbing compound & new wax just for kicks and to keep her looking good & red. So WakeGirl was right on that one, no problems at all.

I'll get a pic of the seat tonight.

Was it worse than this?

post-12034-125982050266_thumb.jpg

Here's another. I thought I was going to have to paint the boat. Started wet sanding with 800grit, and all of a sudden after a few minutes I found red! So don't worry, your color is in there still, you just have to get the old pitted surface off to find it.

post-8942-125984827984_thumb.jpg