Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Flagship Wakeboarding Boat?

pablo

Which boat is the best ot the bunch for wakeboarding? I always heard that the 21 vlx was the flagship wakeboard boat that malibu used for tournaments. Do they use the 23 LSV for tournaments and even the 247? I was looking at the virtual test drive on wakeboarding mag online and they suggest that the 08 247 had the best wake for wakeboarding out of all the wakesetters. I know that the 247 is well known for its surf wake but is it also the top dog of the bunch when it comes to wakeboarding?

Which boat is the best ot the bunch for wakeboarding? I always heard that the 21 vlx was the flagship wakeboard boat that malibu used for tournaments. Do they use the 23 LSV for tournaments and even the 247? I was looking at the virtual test drive on wakeboarding mag online and they suggest that the 08 247 had the best wake for wakeboarding out of all the wakesetters. I know that the 247 is well known for its surf wake but is it also the top dog of the bunch when it comes to wakeboarding?

It seems like the VLX has always been the local pro rider choice for the Seattle area.

-Paul

I've never heard of a 247 being used, but the VLX & 23' are both used a lot in tournies.

Wakegirl: Do you think the 247 has a better wake for wakeboarding than the vlx?

Pistol Pete: How could the 247 wake be so big that it is un- useable? Is it too wide of a wake?

It is interesting that some companies like Supra use their 24 foot boot as their flagship wakeboard boat and Correct Craft now uses their 23 foot boat. I wouldnt be surprised to see malibu start using their 247 in tournaments. Why wouldnt they?

Pistol Pete: How could the 247 wake be so big that it is un- useable? Is it too wide of a wake?

It is interesting that some companies like Supra use their 24 foot boot as their flagship wakeboard boat and Correct Craft now uses their 23 foot boat. I wouldnt be surprised to see malibu start using their 247 in tournaments. Why wouldnt they?

What year is the VLX that we're talking about? Anything up through '08, yes, IMO the 247 is better. From '09 forward, the gap narrows significantly. The 247's wake is bigger when running with no ballast (naturally), but the new VLX is very, very capable. I would call it a smaller version of the 247's wake. It's clean, with no trough & a fantastic transition. Add a power wedge to fine tune how steep or shallow you like it & you've got one of if not the best, most flexible wakeboard boats out there. The only knock on the 247 (again IMO) is that the wake is so big even with no ballast that it may be too much for beginners. The VLX's isn't exactly small, but it would be better suited if you've got a wide range of skill levels that you need to accommodate (that can be said for any VLX from any model year).

Neither the 247 or the new VLX ('09-'10) have a wide wake, by contrast they're much narrower than you'd think. Most of the time I ride at 65', but behind those 2 boats I'm clear out at 80' just to keep from landing too far into the flats.

All of this is just my opinion, but I've spent enough time on these models to be able to speak somewhat intelligently about it. :)

The VLX is 100" where the 247 is 102", so yes wider but not that noticeable. We do call the 247 the bone crusher, as the wake height an to some extend the thickness is greater than the VLX. Is it a waste to have that size of wake is a personal decision. Keep in mind Pete airchairs and your wake isn't as critical as it is for wakeboarding. I've watch guys pull off a back/front roll, tantrum, 360's etc off a sporters pylon. Does the larger wake make it easier, sure but most lack in proper technique and therefore the larger wake does help.

What is the best? I think it's subjective and depends. If you ride behind each of those boats you'll know what I'm talking about. It all depends on what you like and your riding style/skill level. The magazines try to be objective, but when it comes down to purchase, you have to try those out for your likes/dislikes when actually wakeboarding. Most of us are not pros.

As far as tournaments, hands down the VLX has pulled the most and garnered the most accolades on many different hull designs and stood the test of time. However that does not necessary mean it’s the "best wake". For me I like the design of the wake, not just size.

I think Wakegirl has posted some really nice detail in the past on something similar to this subject.

Maybe I shouldn't belabor this point, but I think what impressed me the most about the new VLX's hull was just how versatile it was at the type of wake that you could get out of it. It's not quite as peaky as the '05-'08 stock for stock (no ballast), but what you can do with it once you start using ballast & the power wedge.....the older VLXs can't compete with that IMO. You can make it almost as vertical or as rampy as you want, & it will be clean with a great transition no matter what. The '05-'08 VLXs have a bit of a trough no matter what, & the ones using the older fixed wedge make it worse. There is none of that with the newer VLX. Like I said, think of it as a smaller 247 in terms of its capabilities.

If I had the resources to buy a new boat, it would be a VLX on the wake hull, no question about it. If I needed more room, it would be a 247. There aren't any other boats that are in the equation for me.

My only true experience behind a 247 is an 06. It happens to be nick-mamed, oh sorry, I mean nick-named, "The Crippler".

The wake is so rampy that it's hard for me (a sky skier at heart, (thanks for letting me know about that M-dude)) that it just shoots you up and it's hard to go wake to wake. Also, the 247 is a whole lotta boat, I mean some of them come on triple axle trailers, and the passenger side is like the equivalent of two sofas side by side. Do you really need that?

The bottom line is, everything WG says is the best advice on this thread and, if you ask me, for pure wakeboarding, the VLX is the king.

Some of the best riders that ride period, ride my 247. they all say it is the best wake out there. these guys ride all kinds of wakeboarding comps and always complain that the tow boat is not a 247! get the bigger boat. if you dont now you will later. might as well skip that step.

LMAO, I just about spit oatmeal all over the screen when I read that.

We had some great laughs about last night and immediately knew intervention was necessary.....Whistling.gif

To the OP the old adage is to test drive/board/surf behind both models to see which one fits your needs better.