Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Have the 97 VLX hull w/ Tuna tower. Will 05 VLX cover or 04 w/ swoop tower fit?

the_dude

Hey guys,

Saw a good deal on boat covers and have been wanting to pick up a full cover to supplement my mooring covers. I have a 97 Sunsetter VLX with Skylon Tuna tower. Think any of these will fit? One better than the other?

For a MALIBU WAKESETTER 21 VLX w/SKYLON TOWER COVERS PLATFORM 2005 - 2006, also fits a Conventional Tournament Ski/Wakeboard Boat w/Tower up to 116' length

For a MALIBU SUNSETTER LX w/ECI T-3 TOWER INSIDE MOUNT COVERS PLATFORM I/B 1993 - 1998, also fits a Euro Tournament Ski/Wakeboard w/Tower up to 21'6 length

For a MALIBU SUNSETTER VLX w/SWOOP TOWER DOESN'T COVER PLATFORM 2002 - 2004, also fits a Conventional Tournament Ski up to 21'6 length

If the tower feet are in a diff location think I could have a tailer resew it to fit on the cheap?

The SLX and the VLX years 96-04 will work. The VLX in ‘05 radically changed the hull among them the width from 93” to 98” so no go on ’05 and newer. Not sure which brand these covers are but sunbrella fabric is what I'd look for and as for the platform coverage that's personal but if I could I would just to keep the maintenance on the teak to a minimum.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to throw this out there for anyone else in my same predicament in the future.

I choose to go with the nicer Sunbrella cover which meant it was for the 2005 and newer VLX hull, not my SV23 hull.

The cover fits great. I knew the tower legs were not going to work, but actually the front legs fit perfect, the rears are not usable atm. If I had the matching tower then their would be no reason not to use the 05+ hull cover on the older SV23 hull assuming it's for storage and not trailering. At least if you are in my situation where the best deal was on the newer cover, not the one for my exact hull.

The only spot it really doesn't work perfectly is the bow. With everything tightened down I will need to put something in the bow to tent it up to prevent water pooling on the cover.

For the main cabin area I already use an adjustable table top dealio to prevent my old cover from pooling and it worked great on the new cover too.