Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

SV23 DIAMOND VS V25 DIAMOND

sgt1970-442

might be looking at a newer boat in the spring. we love the sunsetter lxi and the sv23 hull but i'm looking at a 2006 sunsetter lxi with the v25 hull. anybody have an opinion on the difference for skiing????

thanks steve

might be looking at a newer boat in the spring. we love the sunsetter lxi and the sv23 hull but i'm looking at a 2006 sunsetter lxi with the v25 hull. anybody have an opinion on the difference for skiing????

thanks steve

The 2006 is a beamier (98" vs. 93.5"), heavier (3300 lbs. vs. 2900 lbs.) boat that drafts 24"

(vs. the 18" draft of your boat). I'm not certain if it's the v25 diamond hull per se, or if

it's the extra beam and weight of the newer boat, but the concensus seems to be that the sv23

diamond produces a better slalom wake.

Better ski it first. You don't want to "upgrade" to a wake you're not happy with.

Edited by srab

i sure don't want to give up the clean wake of the sv23 hull. the wife and my 3 girls 23,20,14 are a skiing family only. we tried the wake boarding and nobody seemed to like it. i've always been a direct drive owner but, would consider a v-drive if there is a hull thats comparable to what i have. anybody have any thoughts, thanks steve

Imho there isn’t a boat in the lineup that is comparable to the SLXI. It really comes down to what your reason is to upgrade. Other than having “new” there isn’t a real upgrade for the SLXI for slalom performance and space/storage. Since you are a slalom family the choices imho are limited. If you live on a lake the Response LX or CB is the supreme slalom boat in the lineup, though you’ll sacrifice seating and storage a bit therefore the SLXI fits the bill perhaps the best still. Otherwise the RLXI is the next best bet.

If you wanted to look at a Vdrive, though I’ll tell ya don’t go to the dark side :) but the 20LSV or the FXI which is the 20LSV with the engine relocated to the middle are you’re only real choices in a Vdrive. Again they offer less storage but offer more freeboard that that of the SLXI. Properly propped SLXI is going to be hard to beat for a family of five.

Didn’t mention it in your post but if you plan on running the course only the SLXI, Response CB,LX, or the RLXI would be my suggestion. If you plan on surfing certainly the 20LSV would a good compromise, but again nothing like the SLXI in terms of slalom. All the newer boats with the RLXI being the exception are wider and heavier than the SLXI.

thanks for the info dude,

for the record we only ski and thats it. no barefooting or wake boarding.

i agree that i really don't want to give up the sv23 hull.

storage is always at a premium for us. i really don't want to consider the upgrade except

i found a 2006 sunsetter lxi v25 hull and the hammerhead 400hp motor and 112 hours.

guy just wants out of the payment and owes a little less than 15000.00 on it.

don't know if i can pass up a 7 year newer boat for less than 15,000.00 and it has

a grocery list of options and looks showroom new.

anybody know why malibu did away with the best skiing hull ever??????????

just wish i wasn't so attached to our boat, its like one of my kids.

Edited by sgt1970-442

If skiing is your thing... DON'T DO IT. No.gif

At least not without skiing behind it first. Maybe the downgrade in wake quality (and it most definitely is a downgrade) won't be as important to you as the upgrade to a newer boat. A guy that I ski with from time to time made the exact same "upgrade" and curses himself for doing it. Now when we ski together we take my boat not his.

I wasn't my experience, but SN2001 was planning on getting one of the 05 SLXi's until she skied it. The ended up cancelling the order. She ended up with an 01 SLXi & really likes it. She was kind enough to let me get eyes/hands on an SLXi to really see/evaluate overall layout of the model before I traveled & committed to buy one from a dealer several hours away.

That is a great deal on the 06, but my guess is that you will be disappointed with the wake.

Edit - If it was an 04, I'd say jump on it, but not for slalom skiers with the 05/06.

Edited by wienrdog

The reason Malibu got rid of the SLXI is for two reasons the RLXI fit the bill and secondly the ’05-’06 SLXI suited no one really well and wasn’t strong in any water sport activity. The wake isn’t going to be anywhere close the ’99-’04 SLXI, also consider these will be hard to sell because unless you find a casual boater this boat isn’t on anyone’s radar. Spend the $$ on reupholstering the interior and adding upgrades.

The reason Malibu got rid of the SLXI is for two reasons the RLXI fit the bill and secondly the 05-06 SLXI suited no one really well and wasnt strong in any water sport activity. The wake isnt going to be anywhere close the 99-04 SLXI, also consider these will be hard to sell because unless you find a casual boater this boat isnt on anyones radar. Spend the $$ on reupholstering the interior and adding upgrades.

no need to do anything to what i have, it looks like it just came from the showroom. everything is in excellent shape.

like i said before, our boat is like one of my kids and nothing is to good for it. i've spent more time pampering the boat than enjoying it.

the wife says i have ocd with the boat and my oldsmobile.

Edited by sgt1970-442

no need to do anything to what i have, it looks like it just came from the showroom. everything is in excellent shape.

like i said before, our boat is like one of my kids and nothing is to good for it. i've spent more time pampering the boat than enjoying it.

the wife says i have ocd with the boat and my oldsmobile.

LOL, so does mine.... I wish I still had my SLXI....

better to ask for forgiveness than to ask permission :lol:

i've owned my olds 442 for 12 years and we have an agreement

don't ask how much it was and there won't be an arguement... :lol: