Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How shallow can you foil?

MalibuNation

Been kicking around the idea of getting into foiling ... and one of the lakes I visit has some spots that aren't all that deep and can't imagine what would happen if the foil hit the bottom ... would be hard on the body and the fin. Thanks

Edited by MalibuNation

I'll second that 10' rule.

Just sitting in the water, the rear wing is like 6' deep. A good crash could take you down another foot or two. Any more & you could be stuck in the mud.

Thanks guys ... guess they'll be no foiling on Austin Lake. Jim

It was the part about getting stuck in the mud wasn't it?

I now have an image in my mind of someone “foiling” along, minding their own business, getting ready to get some air. He dips down, he leans back, the rope tightens. Just then the foil hits bottom! The ensuing face plant is.....from here make your own image.

Edited by WakingMeHappy

I certainly wouldn't want to ruin an expensive toy like a Sky Ski ... but with lower back pain 24x7 I just can imagine the hitting the bottom and what it would do to the old bod that I have ... wrenching the ole back??????

I certainly wouldn't want to ruin an expensive toy like a Sky Ski ... but with lower back pain 24x7 I just can imagine the hitting the bottom and what it would do to the old bod that I have ... wrenching the ole back??????

All I could picture was sending a video of the crash into AFV probably win the 100K. By the way Had a bad car accident in 08 and complicated by already screwed up back. I havn't even boarded behind my own boat. How does your back hold up when boarding?

All I could picture was sending a video of the crash into AFV probably win the 100K. By the way Had a bad car accident in 08 and complicated by already screwed up back. I havn't even boarded behind my own boat. How does your back hold up when boarding?

Hurts ... but I'd rather board and hurt vs not board and not hurt. Hope that makes sense.

Working on my "core" and trying to loose that weight!

Hurts ... but I'd rather board and hurt vs not board and not hurt. Hope that makes sense.

Working on my "core" and trying to loose that weight!

Thanks, I think this year I will get up on my board.

I now have an image in my mind of someone “foiling” along, minding their own business, getting ready to get some air. He dips down, he leans back, the rope tightens. Just then the foil hits bottom! The ensuing face plant is.....from here make your own image.
All I could picture was sending a video of the crash into AFV probably win the 100K. By the way Had a bad car accident in 08 and complicated by already screwed up back. I havn't even boarded behind my own boat. How does your back hold up when boarding

Have you guys seen The Secret Spot? At the very end of the dvd (I think it might even be after the credits have rolled), one of the foilers that had been featured in the movie is out next to the boat near the shoreline & hits something (either the bottom or a rock, not sure which). The ensuing crash is epic & immediate, just like you'd expect. If you haven't seen the movie, I highly recommend that you put it on your Christmas list. It's a great dvd that any watersports enthusiast will enjoy, regardless of your favorite discipline.

The Secret Spot is awesome! Not at all an instructional video. Instead, it captures the family, friends, and social aspect of water sports.................and effectively drives home the message that barefooters ain't right. :)

The Secret Spot is awesome! Not at all an instructional video. Instead, it captures the family, friends, and social aspect of water sports.................and effectively drives home the message that barefooters ain't right. :)

Lol @ the barefooters remark, it's so true. And yeah, not an instructional video at all, but just a great movie if you're into watersports.

• 3 weeks later...

Lol @ the barefooters remark, it's so true. And yeah, not an instructional video at all, but just a great movie if you're into watersports.

Dang, ordered the Secret Spot movie from Amazon and what I got was an XXX instructional video, I said what the heck I could use it anyways Crazy.gif

Have you guys seen The Secret Spot? At the very end of the dvd (I think it might even be after the credits have rolled), one of the foilers that had been featured in the movie is out next to the boat near the shoreline & hits something (either the bottom or a rock, not sure which). The ensuing crash is epic & immediate, just like you'd expect. If you haven't seen the movie, I highly recommend that you put it on your Christmas list. It's a great dvd that any watersports enthusiast will enjoy, regardless of your favorite discipline.

Thats Ted Freeman. He & his son Thomas are great riders & a lot of fun to hang around with. I'm not sure what exactly he hit in the video, but mark my words, you will go down that fast & that hard if you hit just about anything riding a foil, ie; small stick, fish, etc. Been there, done that. Crazy.gif

Thats Ted Freeman. He & his son Thomas are great riders & a lot of fun to hang around with. I'm not sure what exactly he hit in the video, but mark my words, you will go down that fast & that hard if you hit just about anything riding a foil, ie; small stick, fish, etc. Been there, done that. Crazy.gif

I immediately thought of the S.P. He hits the bottom, IIRC, cutting a bit too close to shore.

Dang, ordered the Secret Spot movie from Amazon and what I got was an XXX instructional video, I said what the heck I could use it anyways Crazy.gif

ROFL.gifROFL.gif What a surprise that must have been. "Honey I bought a new DVD about foili......what the??.....never mind." ROFL.gif

You don't want to hit bottom....it happens fast and leaves you wondering what in the heck just happened.

was taken in Shasta a couple of years ago out in the middle of the Squaw Creek arm.

You don't want to hit bottom....it happens fast and leaves you wondering what in the heck just happened.

was taken in Shasta a couple of years ago out in the middle of the Squaw Creek arm.

Man that has to scare the crap out of you! Surprised.gif There would be zero time to take a breath before going under!

Man that has to scare the crap out of you! Surprised.gif There would be zero time to take a breath before going under!

Yea, that was a particularly brutal crash. Afterwards my wife & I took a jetski over to see what it was. About a foot under the surface was a LARGE treetop.... not a tree trunk, but all the branches! It looked like Medusa's head & all the snakes right under the Jetski!

I guess back when they were logging Lake Shasta, World War II started & all the loggers had to go to work for the war effort. So the logging stopped & the Squaw arm never was fully logged before the dam was done & they filled the reservoir up.

We were all pretty lucky that day. The boat never hit anything. And other than throw Jake down, he didn't really hit, or get tangled up in any of the tree branches. He was a little sore & rattled but nothing that a 222 & a bottle of Jack didn't solve. Whistling.gif

Edited by Bill_AirJunky