Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ocean surfing with wakesurf board

foxhall

I have the large broadcast wakesurf (~5'8") and will be going to Virginia beach next summer. Anyone use a board like this for ocean surfing? Is it worth throwing it in the car to take or a waste of time and rent a long board? Thanks

According to Wake Outlaws the Shred Stixx Thresher is 4' 11". When I learned to surf (in the ocean) I had a custom Kanoa made that was 5' 4"... I was eight years old and somewhere around 70 pounds. 4' 11" is too short to provide the flotation required to paddle onto an ocean wave...especially if you weigh more than 70 pounds. :lol:

Since you are asking this question I'm assuming you haven't surfed in the ocean before? The hardest thing about ocean surfing for newbies isn't riding the board, its catching the wave. You want to learn on a long board for this, longer the better as it makes catching the wave easier.

I say Tease2.gif take the wake surf board and rope..... rent a jet ski and take turns getting pulled to the wave. Surfing.gif

Have you ever tried to paddle a surf board through a large set of waves? My experience was that it's very difficult and took everything I had just to get past the break. Frustrated.gif { 3- 5 ft. in Hawaii}

Make it easy on your self. You already know how to get up on the board and ride being pulled behind the boat. Your body and wife will thank you. Yes.gif

edit for additional content

Edited by cyoda44

I say Tease2.gif take the wake surf board and rope..... rent a jet ski and take turns getting pulled to the wave. Surfing.gif

Have you ever tried to paddle a surf board through a large set of waves? My experience was that it's very difficult and took everything I had just to get past the break. Frustrated.gif { 3- 5 ft. in Hawaii}

Make it easy on your self. You already know how to get up on the board and ride being pulled behind the boat. Your body and wife will thank you. Yes.gif

edit for additional content

3-5 foot? wow...sounds gnarly! ROFL.gif J/K...it does take some getting used to.

I rememebr when I graduated to 10-12' (aka DOH...aka Double Over Head). Now, 3-5' Shoulder to Head High is a fun walk in the park, unfortunately, no where near the rush (nor pain from the beating for that matter)

Longboard is nice 'n lax..just get an 8-9' log. Easy paddling and very stable.

3-5 foot? wow...sounds gnarly! ROFL.gif J/K...it does take some getting used to.

I rememebr when I graduated to 10-12' (aka DOH...aka Double Over Head). Now, 3-5' Shoulder to Head High is a fun walk in the park, unfortunately, no where near the rush (nor pain from the beating for that matter)

Longboard is nice 'n lax..just get an 8-9' log. Easy paddling and very stable.

An 8-9 ft would be alot easier... my 6ft was not quite enough for easy paddling but it's great behind the boat Surfing.gif

post-8836-125972899764_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I've never ocean surfed before last year. Tried when I was in Cali. I swam my a** off for 4, half hour sessions, never caught a wave enough to stand up. Rented a 7 foot board. The waves just weren't ever where I was.

That was a grueling workout. I can't wait to try it again!

Edited by JasonK

I stand by my first suggestion! Make it easy on yourself.

All this talk of surfing is making me want to go..... I keep telling myself "you can go and surf without having to get into the water" & "just take off from the platform and surf back up to it when your done"

Plus1.gif

There is video of guys ocean surfing the new slingshot wakesurfer. Too lazy to search for it. If u don't have a lot of experience ocean surfing, it's easier with a bigger board and a lesson.

Edited by skurfer