Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bimini for better wake?

tomas

Has anyone ever heard of the theory that if you have the bimini up that it creates lift at slalom speeds therefore producing a smaller wake? I don't really buy it but would be interested to see what other people think.

I've also heard that if you put a power wedge on the front of the boat as well as the back and drop your prop down, you can turn your boat into a hydrofoil for the absolute smallest of wakes possible.

Sorry, couldnt resist

Well,

I've noticed that when I tow my boat (5 hrs. ~150 miles one way) that if I leave the wedge down, I get a lot less tongue weight. I wonder if I mounted this foil on the tower backwards (like I said earlier) if it would create 2K# of uplift. If I keep my transom tiedowns on like M-dude says, that should virtually eliminate half the weight of my boat. Then, I should get like double the gas mileage. Like 8 miles to the gallon instead of 4.

Oh baby, I'm gonna order one right now!

Heck with the fuel savings, it'll pay for itself in my first season of only taking my boat out twice because I'll be towing it 20 hrs. round trip just to do so. I wonder how they'll ship it? Have a big rig pull up in front of my house, driver gets out, climbs on cab of his truck, unbolts his wing, hands it to me?

And you measure this tongue weight how?

If you thought that I was passionate about the Seahawks, they've got nothing on the Blazers. :)

Maybe that's because one team is winning and the other is not.Tease2.gif I just so happen to be a Laker/Kobe fan, things could get interesting this season!!!

Maybe that's because one team is winning and the other is not.Tease2.gif I just so happen to be a Laker/Kobe fan, things could get interesting this season!!!

Nah, that has little to do with it. I was born into Blazermania, I married into Seahawk fandom. Truth be told, I probably would have dropped the Hawks like a bad habit if they'd gone through an era like the Jailblazers, but I stuck with them hoping for what we have now - a very bright future. :) Okay enough with the hijack, we need an NBA thread.

Perhaps this is a good idea just in the wrong direction. Why not install hydofoils on the boat and lift it right out of the water. No wake and a butter smooth ride in rough water.

Start by buying one of these and just tweak it to do what you want.

It should totally work dude. Whistling.gif

This is in no way a knowledgeable opinion but, at the speeds we drive these boats, I don't see there being any noticeable effect from a wing or air foil. JMHO.

Well,

I've noticed that when I tow my boat (5 hrs. ~150 miles one way) that if I leave the wedge down, I get a lot less tongue weight. I wonder if I mounted this foil on the tower backwards (like I said earlier) if it would create 2K# of uplift. If I keep my transom tiedowns on like M-dude says, that should virtually eliminate half the weight of my boat. Then, I should get like double the gas mileage. Like 8 miles to the gallon instead of 4.

Oh baby, I'm gonna order one right now!

Heck with the fuel savings, it'll pay for itself in my first season of only taking my boat out twice because I'll be towing it 20 hrs. round trip just to do so. I wonder how they'll ship it? Have a big rig pull up in front of my house, driver gets out, climbs on cab of his truck, unbolts his wing, hands it to me?

Perhaps that would work to improve gas mileage, but I'm guessing if you do it too long we will soon hear you crying about these new mysterious cracks in your gel coat around the mounting points for your tower.

Ok, ok, ok.

So, I've been thinking about how to make my boat as fuel efficient as possible and I think I'm gonna break down and buy one of these.

Now, I can call my boat a gasoline/wind hybrid. Heck, why waste gas when I can just sail around the lake? I wonder if I can use it while surfing?

Ok, ok, ok.

So, I've been thinking about how to make my boat as fuel efficient as possible and I think I'm gonna break down and buy one of these.

Now, I can call my boat a gasoline/wind hybrid. Heck, why waste gas when I can just sail around the lake? I wonder if I can use it while surfing?

Huh????

Ok, ok, ok.

Well if you do please don't post any pics, I didn't want to see that guys stiffy and I don't want to see yours either!!