Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2010 vlx--wake or diamond

shuswap99

Im about to order my first Malibu. We still like to ski a little but are getting into surfing alot. Should i go wake or diamond?? How much surf wake will i be giving up???

Im about to order my first Malibu. We still like to ski a little but are getting into surfing alot. Should i go wake or diamond?? How much surf wake will i be giving up???

If you are really getting into surfing I'd do the wake hull. I think you may find you're skiing much less.

IMO she's a VLX, the foundational wakeboard boat of the Malibu family. You go looking a VLX for wakeboarding and also get a great surfing boat as well. There are other models I'd recommend if you truly want an all purpose boat.

I suggest you take a ski run behind a VLX first, it's not a great crossover boat for that. It's a sweet wakeboard/surfing machine though. If skiing is something you really want to keep doing a crossover boat is going to be difficult to be decent at skiing/boarding/surfing, so in the end what is the most important to you will determine the boat.

Take a look at the difference between the wake and diamond hulls. At slalom speeds (30+ mph), those

downward chines on the diamond hull create some degree of lift on the rear of the boat, producing a

smaller wake.

I'm sure others will probably disagree, but, IMHO, at surfing speeds (+/- 10mph), there just is not

enough lift created to make a big difference in the wake.

If you can, I'd recommend that you demo both a diamond-hulled and a wake-hulled boat, ideally skiing at

slalom speeds and, with comparable ballast, surfing at surfing speeds. Then, you can decide for yourself.

It depends on what your expectations are in the ski wake. What level of wakeboarding would you expect to get out of the boat, and how much time is spent doing each of these.

Like WakeGirl asked, what are you used to skiing behind? What speeds are you skiing at and what level of skiing? If you're used to skiing behind an I/O (similar size at least) then either hull will be an improvement. If you're used to skiing behind a direct drive inboard and are skiing aggressively, you may want to think about do you want a boat to try and do everthing. Personally I think you notice less difference in the surf wake between the hulls and will notice more with the wakeboard wake and ski wake. Diamond hull, noticebly smaller wake for wakeboarding (but is probably fine for most peoples ability!) and vise versa, wake hull obviously has a killer wakeboard wake and killer surf wake, but an aggressive skier won't like it.

Everyone has their favorite thing to do behind the boat and their opinions will be swayed this way.

A good salesperson should help you through all of this... Biggrin.gif

If you are really getting into surfing I'd do the wake hull. I think you may find you're skiing much less.

06vlx-I can`t believe you say that....

I have the diamond hull om my vlx and trust me your not giving anything up by going to the diamond. The wake hull is awesome but unless your a pro you are not going to notice the difference. For surfing the difference will be where you put the weight no really the amount of weight. That is what I have noticed and I have surfed and boarded behind both. Keep in mind I am no pro just a guy who like to be on the water.

Edited by liljohn

We were in the same boat 4 months ago. Friend had an 05 wake hull.The ski wake sucked.We bought an 07 diamond. The ski wake is much better but it still sucks.It really depends on what you are used to. We came from skiing a stoker outboard tunnel.So we will never find a wake that flat.But the diamond is decent for a little free skiing. I have heard really good things about the vtx. I think the diamond has the same if not better surf wake.That is comparing 05 wake to 07 diamond, unweighted.My friend with the wake hull agrees.The 2010 is a different hull. I would ski all 3.It is alot of money to not be sure. The surf wake can always be improved with ballast. The ski wake can't. That being said I opted for a more versatile boat.The v drive has real nice seating but skiing is not that great.

I was also thinking about the VLX diamond then I began to look closer at the VTX. I ended up purchasing a 09 VTX with a diamond hull. Man am I impressed. IMO the ski wake is fantastic and the surf wake is amazing. I may be giving up a bit on the wakeboard wake having the VTX but unless you are pro you will be more than happy. I would strongly suggest you look at a VTX.

06vlx-I can`t believe you say that....

I have the diamond hull om my vlx and trust me your not giving anything up by going to the diamond. The wake hull is awesome but unless your a pro you are not going to notice the difference. For surfing the difference will be where you put the weight no really the amount of weight. That is what I have noticed and I have surfed and boarded behind both. Keep in mind I am no pro just a guy who like to be on the water.

Sorry I was sold on that demo we did.

I was also thinking about the VLX diamond then I began to look closer at the VTX. I ended up purchasing a 09 VTX with a diamond hull. Man am I impressed. IMO the ski wake is fantastic and the surf wake is amazing. I may be giving up a bit on the wakeboard wake having the VTX but unless you are pro you will be more than happy. I would strongly suggest you look at a VTX.

I would agree with this statement and is why after demoing a VTX with cut diamond hull that we decided to keep the VLX we had. I loved the ski wake and the surf wake, but the kids liked the boarding wake on our VLX more than the one on the VTX and since that is what they mainly do.... I have a good friend with a DD Ski Nautique that I ski behind and they go boarding behind our boat. Works out well.

I would agree with this statement and is why after demoing a VTX with cut diamond hull that we decided to keep the VLX we had. I loved the ski wake and the surf wake, but the kids liked the boarding wake on our VLX more than the one on the VTX and since that is what they mainly do.... I have a good friend with a DD Ski Nautique that I ski behind and they go boarding behind our boat. Works out well.

That's exactly what we do....my favorite little orange boat.... :)

I'm going to echo what most have said on here, but I guess a consensus helps.

If you do any amount of skiing at all, I'd go with the diamond hull on the VTX. As has been mentioned, you will lose a bit of the wakeboard wake compared to a VTX wake hull, but I truly believe the number of people whose wakeboard sessions will be limited by this is NOT a large number. The DD guys will say no Vdrive boat is a good ski boat, but I'd take that with a grain of salt. It doesn't sound like you guys are running 35 off or anything.

As far as the surf wake...I have no complaints with the VTX surf wake on the diamond hull. Going ropeless for me is no problem with stock ballast and only a driver (shhh.....). Now, there's not a terrifically large pocket, so I'm going to buy a fat sack for the transom locker to make things more interesting, but it sounds like you'll have plenty of folks to help provide that ballast. I'm a relative newcomer to the surf scene, so I might sing a different tune in a bit, but I doubt it.

I went with the VTX on the diamond hull and have NEVER regretted that decision. Just as much interior room as the VLX, and it can handle all three sports (ski, board, surf) pretty damn well. Here's what I'd say, overall:

Skiing your true and only love? Going to need a direct drive. For sure.

100% wakeboarding? VLX on the wake hull is the way to go.

Surf freak? 247 it is.

I love to do all three (for me, it goes slalom --> surf --> ride), so the VTX is perfect.

t

p.s. If anyone in Austin has a little dd ski boat and is looking for a third, though...I have a 5/4/3 wetsuit and am not afraid to use it.