Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Questions from potential new Bu owner

ds53652

Wakegirl, no worries! Smile.gif I just want to make the right decision and these engines are new so I'm just a little skittish to say the least. I've been all over Indmar's website and they have nothing on the new LS3 or LS7. I'm going to give them a call here in a bit and see if i can get any info. If I do, I'll certainly share. From what I remember the LS3 was about a $6500 upgrade...somewhere around there. I have it written down at the house, but don't remember for certain.

Malibudude, thnx for the info as well. That's starying to make me feel a little better on the 8.1.

No problem. I can tell what indmar will say thier recommendation is...If you surf get the 8.1.

According to Indmar, the catalytic coverter reduces carbon monoxide output by more than 90%. Since we do a lot of surfing, that was key for us.

We love our dual captains chairs

Agree that towerbiminis.com makes a great looking and functional bimini. Took a while to get it, but worth the wait.

My dealer quoted me the following per engine upgrade:

LS3 - $6750

8100 Vortek - $7250

I've asked for the cost of the LS7 and will post when received.

Didn't mean to scare you, sorry. I've seen a few comments about the powerband of that motor & it led me to believe that it may not be well-suited to a big wakeboard boat. I could be totally wrong on that. It would be interesting to see some torque & HP curves for it. Talk with your dealer about it & see if there's any way that you can demo one with that engine prior to ordering. Even better if they'll let you weight it down a bit to really get an idea for how it will do.

What's the upcharge on that engine?

Malibutimes,

thnx for the info and pic. Very nice looking indeed! If you don't mind me asking, how much did that run you?

Couple of other questions for you if you don't mind...

1. Do the towerbimini.com biminies mount to the tower the same way the factory ones do?
  2. Are the towerbimini.com biminies bigger than the factory biminies (try saying that 3 times real fast...LOL!)?
  3. Can you be underway (on the water) with the bimini deployed?
  4. Does it rattle at all?
  5. Did you go with the stainless steel upgrade versus the polished aluminum?
  6. Are the nylon fittings standard regardless of what the frames are (stainless vs aluminum)?

Thanks again!

Exciting times!

Since you asked, I would get the billet, skip the big motor, and go HH, skip the docking lights, and order a cover from Evolution Covers. The dual captains chairs are kind of cool, but when it comes down to it, if you are doing watersports and are the passenger you usually want to face backwards. Everything else sounds good.

Edit - generally with a seperate bow cover you are adding snaps which would need to be done locally, same with a cockpit cover. Evolution is more for covering the whole boat/towing. You might want to check if the cover you listed is a towing cover. If not, I'd skip it for sure.

Also, you should take a look at tower bimini (towerbimini.com). You can create some cool multi-color patterns, a nice custom touch over basic black. I do not know if they have done the G3 yet, but if not it sure is time to. Here is what I mean...

100_5566.jpg

Edited by ds53652

Malibutimes,

thnx for the info and pic. Very nice looking indeed! If you don't mind me asking, how much did that run you?

Couple of other questions for you if you don't mind...

1. Do the towerbimini.com biminies mount to the tower the same way the factory ones do?
    YES
  2. Are the towerbimini.com biminies bigger than the factory biminies (try saying that 3 times real fast...LOL!)
    Basically the same size, but there isn't really a factory biminy they are all after market.
  3. Can you be underway (on the water) with the bimini deployed?
    Yes no issue there even at WOT.
  4. Does it rattle at all?
    Not those that I know that have them.
  5. Did you go with the stainless steel upgrade versus the polished aluminum?
    IIRC they just went w/ the aluminum.
  6. Are the nylon fittings standard regardless of what the frames are (stainless vs aluminum)?
    I beleive so.

Thanks again!

I've yet to hear any complaints about Tower Biminy's product. In fact we've done a group buy on them in the past.

Awesome, thnx malibudude!

I've yet to hear any complaints about Tower Biminy's product. In fact we've done a group buy on them in the past.