Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Questions from potential new Bu owner

ds53652

Hi everyone,

new to the site obviously and am seriously considering ordering a 2010 23 LSV in a couple of weeks. I would love everyone's feedback on what I'm thinking of ordering and on some questions I have.

What I'm thinking of ordering:

• 2010 23 LSV w/ G3 tower
  • Forward ballast
  • Docking lights
  • Driver's seat heater
  • Dual bats & perko switch
  • Bimini
  • Snap-in/out carpet
  • Bow lifting eye
  • Pop-up bow light
  • Stainless pylon
  • Rear sundeck walkover
  • Transom underwater lights
  • Power Wedge
  • CS Boat Cover w/Tower Cutouts (G3 or X)
  • Precision Pro Speed COntrol
  • Maliview
  • Stainless Steel Gauge Panel & Glove Box Door (Thoughts on this? I'm concerned about glare from the sun)
  • Malibu Vortec 8100 - 450hp, EFI-MPI
  • Silent Tip Exhaust

Questions:

1. What is the "CS Boat Cover" option? Is it a cover for when the tower is lowered?
  2. Are separate bow and cockpit covers available?
  3. On the stainless steel gauge panel and glove box - any concerns with glare from the sun?
  4. Monsoon vs LS3 vs 8100 Vortec engine options - Thoughts? Recomendations? I noticed the Monsoon and LS3 come with a Catalyst but the 8100 does not? We'll be doing a lot of surfing so would the 8100 be a bad choice?
  5. Anybody have or seen a Wakesetter with the dual captains chair option? How does it reconfiugure the cockpit area? What happens to the typical port storage space? Any other concerns or gotchas with this option?

I'll be doing a custom stereo setup (non-factory) and will post questions about that in the stereo section.

Any other suggestions, thoughts, concerns, input, etc?

TIA, Roger

1. I'm pretty sure that's a standard cover with the tower in its upright position so no, I don't believe it covers the tower.

2. I can't help you there. If you're looking for a fantastic cover talk to Cory at evolution covers... great stuff.

3. We skipped that on our VLX.. for one I thought it was a bit overkill plus that year they flipped down and rested on the upholstery and the billet would certainly wear out the vinyl faster than the plastic.

4. We have the monsoon in our VLX and it's just fine. I hear the Hammerhead propped right is money with the LSV. The other engines I've read tend to drink more.

5. Ours does! I hated the idea at first, but my family went for it and I actually like it a lot. It only takes away an extra spot for seating and quite a bit of storage. But we don't really have too many people or gear in the first place... and it's something unique on our boat that a lot of other people appreciate.

heres some pictures..

DSCN2947.jpg

DSCN2949.jpg

DSCN2950.jpg

DSCN2952.jpg

DSCN2953.jpg

and passenger area

SNV30300.jpg

First off, welcome to the site. Lots of great information here. A tremendous resource if you

end up a Malibu owner.

Just a few quick opinions: a) Docking lights are a nice feature on paper, and I would never consider

them a negative when it came to resale, but IMHO, they are pretty useless; b) A heater? In Texas?

Really? Okay, seriously, I wouldn't consider it a negative, and I might even appreciate having one

had I ever been on the water when it was below 70, but I just don't think it's a necessity; c) A rear

sundeck walkover just doesn't appeal to me; I don't have one and wouldn't really want one, especially

if it cost extra, but YMMV; d) Likewise with the dual captain's chairs, except I definitely wouldn't

want one; I just love the wrap around seating too much; e) I like the looks of the billet chromed

dash and glove box on my boat, and glare has never been an issue for me, so I'm guessing that the SS

versions would get a nod from me on the 2010; f) Forward ballast, dual battery setup, bimini, STE's

are, IMHO, all a must; g) Power wedge is a big plus; h) Pop-up bow light, stainless pylon, transom

LEDs are all nice features; i) The boat cover with tower cut-outs would be for when the tower is up

(the cut-outs typically rise up 12-16 inches with a elastic cuff around the tower bases). Not sure

about CS, but there are other custom cover options available.

I won't comment on Malivue or the 8100 as I am unfamiliar with both. I wasn't aware that catalytic

converter's were not available on the bigger engine. You can surf without them, but exhaust odor

might be a consideration if you're doing it a lot.

Good luck with your decision.

Exciting times!

Since you asked, I would get the billet, skip the big motor, and go HH, skip the docking lights, and order a cover from Evolution Covers. The dual captains chairs are kind of cool, but when it comes down to it, if you are doing watersports and are the passenger you usually want to face backwards. Everything else sounds good.

Edit - generally with a seperate bow cover you are adding snaps which would need to be done locally, same with a cockpit cover. Evolution is more for covering the whole boat/towing. You might want to check if the cover you listed is a towing cover. If not, I'd skip it for sure.

Also, you should take a look at tower bimini (towerbimini.com). You can create some cool multi-color patterns, a nice custom touch over basic black. I do not know if they have done the G3 yet, but if not it sure is time to. Here is what I mean...

100_5566.jpg

Edited by MalibuTime

Welcome Roger

1.) Bow lifting eye - isn't that so you can lift the boat off the trailer, do you need that?

2.) I'd go with Pop Up Cleats

3.) Not sure where you are in TX ... but if it gets cold there and you want to boat year road, I'd go for the heater

4.) Flush Pro (or what ever it's called now) so thay you can easily run your engine on land

5.) I like wrap around seating.

6.) What about an On Board Charger ... maybe an after market one would be better.

7.) Engine ... how deep are your pockets?

Edit ... caffine hasn't fully kicked in ... but it's coming!

Dual axle trailer with brakes, spare tire kit, spare, swing tongue.

Edited by MalibuNation

Yeah the bow lifting eye and pop up bow light are somewhat opposing options, the pop up bow light makes the front of the boat more sleek, but if you already have your lifting eye there will it be more sleek? But who cares, a $50 option on a $70k boat....

I'd go wrap around, but the 23 is definitely big enough to make the captains chairs work.

We have captains chairs in a 21 LSV.

We like them for cruising and relaxing.

They are good for the observer because they swivel and are comfortable.

Easy to put your legs up on the side seat to stretch out.

We put a tote bag on the floor in front of the seat and it tucks forward into the foot area.

I also like the wrap around option and it is very comfortable.

I think whichever you have you will love.

I don't like the idea of chrome reflecting into your face. I'm surprised they put it on the dash.

I like my bow cover on in the mornings when it's cold or raining, but then again I don't have a windblocker for the walk-thru.

1. What is the "CS Boat Cover" option? Is it a cover for when the tower is lowered?

I believe that is the cover that is available from Commercial Sewing. If it's the one that I think it is, it's a trailerable cover. But quite honestly, I would spend that money on a cover from Evolution. I've seen the CS cover & had the Evo, & the Evo is hands down better IMO.

2. Are separate bow and cockpit covers available?

Only through an aftermarket, custom cover company. The type that you're thinking of would require you to drill the boat for snaps. If it were me, I'd just order a bow cover & full Evo cover if you really want the bow cover.

3. On the stainless steel gauge panel and glove box - any concerns with glare from the sun?

If I had it to do over again, I'd order as little of that as possible. There was occasional glare from the sun on my boat.

4. Monsoon vs LS3 vs 8100 Vortec engine options - Thoughts? Recomendations? I noticed the Monsoon and LS3 come with a Catalyst but the 8100 does not? We'll be doing a lot of surfing so would the 8100 be a bad choice?

I'd drive an LS3 if it were me. To those recommending the HH, it isn't available for '10 & as I understand it the LS3 is very different in terms of when the power comes on. Hopefully someone else can comment on that, but I suspect that it's not an ideal engine for a wakeboard/surf boat for that reason.

5. Anybody have or seen a Wakesetter with the dual captains chair option? How does it reconfiugure the cockpit area? What happens to the typical port storage space? Any other concerns or gotchas with this option?

If you like it, get it. My only concern would be for resale value/sellability.

docking lights are pretty useless, but the look cool so I would order them again.

I'd get every option available (except the stereo} and definitely one of the bigger HP engine options if the price was agreeable, then I would never say "I wish I would have ordered that" I hate it when that happens.

If you do a lot of cruising with your Wife I guess the captain chair option would work for you, I like the wrap around and need the storage for all my amps batteries and extra sub.

If you like it, get it. My only concern would be for resale value/sellability.

With dual chairs, the wrap around seats go from the back of the drivers seat to the back of the passenger seat. The seat cushions directly behind each of the buckets are hinged and fold towards the middle of the boat. In front of the passenger seat is some foot space, and then a small hinged door that folds to the floor. Opening it (in folds towards the seat) flat allows easy access to the batteries and other storage area up to the front seating area. (I have two batteries in this space and did not put anything else in there). On one side of this space is more storage area (about 6" deep x 14" wide x 20" tall), on the other side is my Perko battery switch.

My seats swivel and slide, I don't know if they all do that or not.

We considered the resale since this is a unique set-up, but in the end it was a set up we liked, in a boat we loved, at a great price.

If it wasn't packed away, i would take some pictures, but the ones early in this thread tell the story.

yep, dual captain's chairs swivel and slide just like a normal driver seat. And what we like most about it is that it can face directly backwards to watch someone ride behind the boat, and easily swivels forward when we cruise across the lake for dinner or something. You have the option to sit however you want there, not forced to always look behind you.

I don't like the idea of chrome reflecting into your face. I'm surprised they put it on the dash.

I like my bow cover on in the mornings when it's cold or raining, but then again I don't have a windblocker for the walk-thru.

Jason, i have the crome plated dash. early morning sunsets reflect off of it.

Does the seating capacity differ between the 2 seating arrangements, swivel seating verses wrap around ?

Interesting ... but doubt it.

Edited by MalibuNation

I don't think the capacity changes.. our VLX is rated at 11 people as I believe traditional wrap around lounges are rated at 11 as well. I doubt 11 people can sit comfortably in either, but it would be more easily done in the lounge style seating I presume.

First of all I hope all of you had a wonderful Thanksgiving and second, thank you so much for taking the time to share your input, thoughts, pictures and opinions. It is very helpful and very much appreciated. You all have given me lots to think about and as always, sometimes leads to more questions.

On the bow lifting eye, isn't this the eye on the bow that most trailer straps attach to? And if so, why isn't this standard on the Bus? I've asked my dealer this same question and have not heard back yet.

I will call Evolution Covers and see what they have to offer since they are so highly regarded here. Thnx everyone!

On the stereo stuff....I plan to go a non-malibu and non-dealer route. Do i need to be concerned with something not coming from the factory that would limit my options 3rd party stereo wise? Like does the seating change due to the no-stereo option, like the rear seat with the cutout for remote andn pair of speakers? Is the speaker wiring still done?

Wakegirl is correct, the HH engine is gone for 2010. If the 8100 had the catalytic convertors, it would be a no brainer for me to go that route as that is a very proven setup with lots of low-end torque. Anybody have a lot of experience surfing behind an 8100 and care to comment on how the exhaust fumes are or aren't? Outside of the 8100 option, I'm limited to the LS3 and LS7 upgrades. Wakegirl, you're really scaring me with your comments on the LS3. What have you heard in regards to the LS3? Anybody have any experience with the LS7?

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate the help!

Sincerely, Roger

Didn't mean to scare you, sorry. I've seen a few comments about the powerband of that motor & it led me to believe that it may not be well-suited to a big wakeboard boat. I could be totally wrong on that. It would be interesting to see some torque & HP curves for it. Talk with your dealer about it & see if there's any way that you can demo one with that engine prior to ordering. Even better if they'll let you weight it down a bit to really get an idea for how it will do.

What's the upcharge on that engine?

I've surfed behind a 247 w/ the 8.1, it'd didn't seem to have any issue other than the 88gal tank...lol The bow lifting eye located on top of the gunwale is not standard only the bow eye to strap the front of the boat to the winch. All the speaker locations are still there even if you order it w/o speakers you'll just need to cut out the vinyl to install them. All the wiring to the tower is standard but the wiring to the interior speakers isn't ifs you don't order them. I can tell you the LS3 is going to preform better than the HH did, it's a pretty big improvement from what I've heard. The powerband is sweet compared to that of the HH....Thumbup.gif

Okay, I had to go searching to find the threads that I thought I remembered:

LINK 1

it really enjoys the 4000 rpm range.

LINK 2

The 8.1 is more of a boat engine than the LS3. Maximum torque is reached around 3000 rpm in the 8.1, while max torque in the LS3 is not achieved till 4600 rpm. Maybe a good footers engine.

The Hammerhead had a torque curve much closer to that of the 8.1, making it much better suited to your application than the LS3 (fun factor aside). JMO

LINK 3

The LS3 is refined, much like the LS1 was. Smooth and responsive, its not raw kick butt holeshot - if you prop it for overall use.

The fact that he compares it with an LS1 in terms of how it behaves is not a ringing endorsement for the OP's particular application. In a footer's boat, heck yeah. In a 23' wakeboard boat, I'd choose the 8.1.

Wakegirl, no worries! :) I just want to make the right decision and these engines are new so I'm just a little skittish to say the least. I've been all over Indmar's website and they have nothing on the new LS3 or LS7. I'm going to give them a call here in a bit and see if i can get any info. If I do, I'll certainly share. From what I remember the LS3 was about a $6500 upgrade...somewhere around there. I have it written down at the house, but don't remember for certain.

Malibudude, thnx for the info as well. That's starting to make me feel a little better on the 8.1.

Edited by ds53652

Awesome! Thnx Wakegirl, I'll check out all of the links. Thanks very much!

Okay, I had to go searching to find the threads that I thought I remembered:

LINK 1

LINK 2

The Hammerhead had a torque curve much closer to that of the 8.1, making it much better suited to your application than the LS3 (fun factor aside). JMO

LINK 3

The fact that he compares it with an LS1 in terms of how it behaves is not a ringing endorsement for the OP's particular application. In a footer's boat, heck yeah. In a 23' wakeboard boat, I'd choose the 8.1.