Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

06 vlx

shuswap99

Im looking at purchasing a 06 vlx with 186 hours. It has a manual wedge. Is there anything i should look out for??? Any weak links???

Im looking at purchasing a 06 vlx with 186 hours. It has a manual wedge. Is there anything i should look out for??? Any weak links???

06 was not a good year for the people who sold malibu chromed parts,,,,lots of pitting and flaking

06 was not a good year for the people who sold malibu chromed parts,,,,lots of pitting and flaking

I never had a single issue with any chrome flaking on my 06 VLX. When I sold it there was 187 hours on the boat. I did keep the boat inside my garage though, could have something to do with the condition?

Plus1.gif That's what I've found with my '06 vRide.

Plus1.gif Me too on my 06 VLX. Some people have upgraded to SS. I was able to get it covered under warranty, but I expect it to do the same again. I bought it used and they probably kept it out doors, but I will keep it in now. Hopefully it will help. You can always get racks powder coated. Are you planning on keeping it in doors?

You may also want to upgrade the steering arm in any boat older than 09 (I think). There is a vibration under hard acceleration that will get helped with a heavier arm.

For the most part I'm extremely happy with my 06. For the stuff I've had to mess with it's been minor and any year will have a couple hiccups.

Edited by Jimmypooh

I never had a single issue with any chrome flaking on my 06 VLX. When I sold it there was 187 hours on the boat. I did keep the boat inside my garage though, could have something to do with the condition?

Plus1.gif I never had any of that with my '06 either. Most of what I've seen posted seems like it related to the racks (Metcraft), although I have seen a few people post about the interior emblems & dash pitting out. I would think that if the boat doesn't have that problem & if the emblems haven't been replaced, then it would be fine. I suspect that Malibu had a bad chrome run through that period.

Metcraft products have had major issues w/ thier chroming over the past several years, to the point I'd never buy thier stuff again.

They weren't nicknamed MetCrap for no reason.

They weren't nicknamed MetCrap for no reason.

Yep, they did warranty the item but only after several months and badgering them to the point that I'm so done w/ them. I would love to replace them w/ Titan/Nice racks.

Has anyone had any issues with this flaking on an 07?

Only on my Metcraft stuff, the rest is just fine. I just go through a lot of Mothers...

Metcraft products have had major issues w/ thier chroming over the past several years, to the point I'd never buy thier stuff again.

And that is probably a good reason why they are no longer in business......

-Paul

One of a few. Speaking of which....

To the OP, one other thing that you ought to think about is the tower. The Illusion was made by Metcraft & while there are other companies making accessories for it, I'd personally try to look for a boat with a Titan on it.

And that is probably a good reason why they are no longer in business......

-Paul

Well the service and warranty turn around were the major issues imho. Every company has times which things go awry, it's the service afterwards that can make or break you and that is were they sucked big time.

One of a few. Speaking of which....

To the OP, one other thing that you ought to think about is the tower. The Illusion was made by Metcraft & while there are other companies making accessories for it, I'd personally try to look for a boat with a Titan on it.

Agreed the Titan was the best but keep in mind they are more difficult to find.

It also depends on the price.The floating wedge is pretty nice compared to the other 1. I like my illusion tower but I think it is a little different on an 07.What can you afford is the ? I wonder if the g3 can be easily swapped from the illusion?