Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need a Spare

Eric LX

My trailer didn't come with a spare tire and I am trying to find one that matches this rim. It is original for the trailer and the tire size is a ST225-75-R15. Appreciate any help. Thanks!

th_burims006.jpg

Instead of buying a spare you could consider replacing your current tires with a "D" load range tire in that size. That would give you load capacity of 2540# per tire instead of the 2150# rating of your current "C" rated tire. Inflate to 65psi and " don't worry baby".

If you wanted to go total overkill because you tow a lot you could go to a 16" "E" rated tire say a 235/80 R 16 and have a load capacity of 3420# per tire. Heat is the tire killer and by going "E" rated you eliminate any possibility of overheating.

My experience is that by going to the "D" and "E" rated radial tires I have eliminated any issues with tire failure.

Preventative maintenance: I have my wheel bearings packed every 3 years and keep my tires inflated to the max pressure listed on the sidewall, in this case 65 PSI.

I do not carry a spare. I tow a minimum of 90 miles round trip to Billy Chinook, do several 190 mile trips each year, a 340 mile trip to the Willamette, and a California Delta trip of 950 miles or so. In 37 years of trailer boating I have never had a flat or bearing failure. This is either due to preventative maintenance or dumb luck. Y.M.M.V.

Instead of buying a spare you could consider replacing your current tires with a "D" load range tire in that size. That would give you load capacity of 2540# per tire instead of the 2150# rating of your current "C" rated tire. Inflate to 65psi and " don't worry baby".

If you wanted to go total overkill because you tow a lot you could go to a 16" "E" rated tire say a 235/80 R 16 and have a load capacity of 3420# per tire. Heat is the tire killer and by going "E" rated you eliminate any possibility of overheating.

My experience is that by going to the "D" and "E" rated radial tires I have eliminated any issues with tire failure.

Preventative maintenance: I have my wheel bearings packed every 3 years and keep my tires inflated to the max pressure listed on the sidewall, in this case 65 PSI.

I do not carry a spare. I tow a minimum of 90 miles round trip to Billy Chinook, do several 190 mile trips each year, a 340 mile trip to the Willamette, and a California Delta trip of 950 miles or so. In 37 years of trailer boating I have never had a flat or bearing failure. This is either due to preventative maintenance or dumb luck. Y.M.M.V.

True, but he's only towing a boat with a total dry weight of about 2450#

That looks like a tire/rim combo original to a Boatmate trailer, correct? And if it is, the Goodyear Marathons that size are load range D.

I bought a spare tire/wheel directly from Boatmate after spending a lot of time and effort trying to find a 15" rim like that locally. They chared me about $100, IIRC, and shipped it right to me.

Give them a call if you can't find anyting locally...they will help you out.

That looks like a tire/rim combo original to a Boatmate trailer, correct? And if it is, the Goodyear Marathons that size are load range D.

I bought a spare tire/wheel directly from Boatmate after spending a lot of time and effort trying to find a 15" rim like that locally. They chared me about $100, IIRC, and shipped it right to me.

Wow, $100..?? If it is a boatmate and they have those rims laying around and will wrap a tire on it that's a steal, I wish I would have thought of that!!

Your right, it is the original rim for the trailer. I will take a look at boatmate and see if they still have them. I worked with them a few months ago to install a swing tongue and they were very helpful.

Thanks to everyone, I'll check out the links. Thumbup.gif

I was looking for the same one. If you want to spend around $215 for the tire and rim you can find it on line shipped to your house. I ended up getting a white rim with the tire for $80 from POMPS tires in Wisconsin. I then but a black trailer tire cover over it and it looks good. It is what it is and hope to never use it. Good luck.