Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rock guard

hattric73

Hey guys,

We are looking to get a rock guard to protect the boat, and other trailers when towing.

We want one that either attaches to the receiver or has the receiver built in.

Our tow vehicle is a 2008 Duramax, so the tailpipe sticks way out the back. Does anyone know of a product that is built for this? Seems that the tailpipe is going to melt any of them...Otherwise, any suggestions on how to work around it?

thanks guys, I have seen those sites. I am concerned about the exhaust and the bristles coming in contact and melting the bristles. Anyone have experience with this?

on edit:

looks like towtector makes a couple heat shields to prevent the problems I was thinking about...

http://www.towtector.com/shop/category.asp?catid=13

Edited by hattric73

I got a roadwing mud flap system that bolted on to my existing hitch. Then just trim the mud flaps up depending upon the vehicle height. The bristle systems after doing research isn't the prefered method imho as it still allows much to get through.

Hattric, will you ever be towing behind different vehicles? I put on a custom hull protector that is on the trailer. I may use 3 different vehicles to tow with and this was by far the best solution for me. It works great! The only downfall is getting in to scrub down the boat when we pull it out of the water. I juts usually a few times a simmer remover the mesh and scrub the front end really well.

post-5478-125916287817_thumb.jpg

Hattric, will you ever be towing behind different vehicles? I put on a custom hull protector that is on the trailer. I may use 3 different vehicles to tow with and this was by far the best solution for me. It works great! The only downfall is getting in to scrub down the boat when we pull it out of the water. I juts usually a few times a simmer remover the mesh and scrub the front end really well.

I saw those, and like the idea. We will have the opposite problem as you though. 1 truck (most of the time) and multiple trailers!

• 2 weeks later...

Where did you get this and how much was is?

Thanks

They attach to your receiver hitch bar. So when you remove your hitch bar, the mud flaps are also removed.

To anyone who has the Rock Tamers...

What do you have to do to take them on and off? They look great for towing, but horrible if not.

Yes, please share where you got these from. I have been trying to figure out how to fabricate something like this. But it looks like it has already been done. Is there protection up the middle? I see the flaps on the sides but wondering if there is anything in the middle of the trailer.