Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

outside storage

norforksportster

OK, We are building a new house and I am going to have to store the sportster outside for the first time in its life. Very sad day. BUT I am very confident that with the right prep and right cover(S) I can do this with no harm (UV or Water).... Any suggestions on Tarps, covers, etc?

Ethan

1998 Malibu Sportster LX

Skylon Swoop Tower

I wrapped the tower in pallet wrap plastic so the tarp would not rub on it. Ran a rope from stem to stern over the tower to provide a ridge line for the tarp and used tennis balls so i would not have to rely on the grommets, which are not always in the place you want them.

4127667093_fb2cb9fc85_m.jpg

Do you get snow where you are? If so prop up the tarp so the snow doesn't sit in a pool in the middle of the tarp. I extended my ski pylon and added ratchet straps to the extension and ran strapping to the back of the boat to hold the tarp up in the presence of heavy snow fall.

Edited by Wakes
  • 2 months later...

Do you get snow where you are? If so prop up the tarp so the snow doesn't sit in a pool in the middle of the tarp. I extended my ski pylon and added ratchet straps to the extension and ran strapping to the back of the boat to hold the tarp up in the presence of heavy snow fall.

Got a 8.0 oz heavy duty poly tarp - strapped on with tie downs, over my Malibu canvas cover. Laid tower back on 2X4 across boat w/towels under, and wrapped tower posts with towels. Seems to be workin good, do have a mild pool area I siphon off when snow melts, but she's well protected, and even the trailer and tires are blocked from UV as well.... Thanks for the feedback! Cant wait for Lake time!!

OK, We are building a new house and I am going to have to store the sportster outside for the first time in its life. Very sad day. BUT I am very confident that with the right prep and right cover(S) I can do this with no harm (UV or Water).... Any suggestions on Tarps, covers, etc?

Ethan

1998 Malibu Sportster LX

Skylon Swoop Tower

If you have the extra cash get it shrink wrapped. They can also put vents on the shrink wrap for air flow. Put some little moisture buckets you can buy at walmart for a few bucks in the boat also and you'll be fine.

Put your regular boat cover on then fold the tower down a put a big cheap tarp over the whole thing that will cover the swim deck and most of your trailer.

Thats what I did one winter while My house was under construction. The folded tower with tarp over the top gives it room to breath. It worked good.

I know a guy around my area that stores boats inside in his warehouse for $200. His office is connected to the warehouse and he used to store machinery in their. He said if he could get 25 boats, he makes $5,000 and helps cover his overhead that he was going to have to pay anyways. Now I know that is rare to find something like that, but it might not hurt looking for some inside storage options. You never know what you might find.