Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Delphi ECM required

robertiux

Will appreciate some help, the ECM is damaged need to replace. Anyone knows which options I have and aprox costs? Boat is an LXi Response 2003 with a 335 Monsoon (230 hrs), the ECM is Delphi 12569494.

Any link to a site and information around this issue will be helpful.

Surprisingly, this was damaged during normal operation, engine started to smoke (black) until flooded with excess of gas, even hydrolocked. Injectors remained opened while the pump was pushing fuel in. During troubleshooting this effect continued and no communication could be established through the Diacom. Finally and to make it short, by changing the ECM from another boat the engine could operate properly.

Comments will be appreciated, the concern is of course what's the root cause.

Sounds like the ECM developed a short in the F.I. driver circuit. Your ECM is a MEFI 4a. Not sure about your software version or where to obtain it.

That ECM will have to come from a Indmar dealer, depending which ecm you have they are in the ball park of $1,000. Indmar is the only one that can load their program onto the ECM, then dealers can only install calibrations for that ECM. If you can supply your engine serial number and Indmar can program and calibrate it so it is plug and play so you don't have to bring it into the dealer.

As for the problem, it sounds like the fuel injector driver failed and stuck the injectors wide open. You have a return fuel system so if the injectors were open it would of eventually filled the cylinders full of fuel and possibly even hydro locked a cylinder. So if you got away with no engine damage, that's great!

ECM's are a computer circuit board so just like a computer they don't like, high voltage, low voltage, or moisture.

I see more get damaged from low or high voltage more than anything. Loose battery terminals, loose main power/ground to the engine, hooking batteries up back-wards, lightning strikes, etc.

Send me a PM if you need help tracking down a ECM, I can have one programmed and drop shipped direct to you from Indmar.

PS that Delphi part # 12569494 is for a MEFI4 (not 4A)

Thanks

-Paul

That ECM will have to come from a Indmar dealer, depending which ecm you have they are in the ball park of $1,000. Indmar is the only one that can load their program onto the ECM, then dealers can only install calibrations for that ECM. If you can supply your engine serial number and Indmar can program and calibrate it so it is plug and play so you don't have to bring it into the dealer.

As for the problem, it sounds like the fuel injector driver failed and stuck the injectors wide open. You have a return fuel system so if the injectors were open it would of eventually filled the cylinders full of fuel and possibly even hydro locked a cylinder. So if you got away with no engine damage, that's great!

ECM's are a computer circuit board so just like a computer they don't like, high voltage, low voltage, or moisture.

I see more get damaged from low or high voltage more than anything. Loose battery terminals, loose main power/ground to the engine, hooking batteries up back-wards, lightning strikes, etc.

Send me a PM if you need help tracking down a ECM, I can have one programmed and drop shipped direct to you from Indmar.

PS that Delphi part # 12569494 is for a MEFI4 (not 4A)

Thanks

-Paul

Thanks for the very comprehensive answer, I'll contact you separately.

Rgds

• 9 years later...

I am having the same problem with the same boat (2003 Response LXT Monsoon). It seems the injectors are wide open and are filling the cylinders with gas.

What MEFI do I need?

1 hour ago, BradD said:

I am having the same problem with the same boat (2003 Response LXT Monsoon). It seems the injectors are wide open and are filling the cylinders with gas.

What MEFI do I need?

Call the guys at Bakes

On 11/25/2009 at 7:19 AM, robertiux said:

Thanks for the very comprehensive answer, I'll contact you separately.

Rgds

If you need a MEFI 4 and not the 4A, be ready to grab your ankles. The MEFI 4s are price quite a bit higher. The list price from Indmar for a MEFI 4 is $2182, Bakes has it listed for $1900.

Edited by COOP
2 hours ago, csleaver said:

Try the guys at MEFIBURN.COM aka OBD Diagnostics in California.  They were able to repair a MEFI4 for me at the fraction of the cost of a replacement. 

Do this ^

I had two ECMs get on Volvo engines (houseboat) get fried due to a solar problem and the guys at MEFIburn.com had new units (two engines) in my hands in 48 hours, AND they bench tested my units to figure out if they were recoverable (they weren't). Also, due to a call I had with Indmar this week I know that there is direct communication between MEFIBurn.com and Indmar, so you should be all set.