Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

EPIC 23e hybrid electric wake boat

areamike

Well I'll be.

Check it out. Aptera co-founder debuts EPIC 23e hybrid electric wake boat

http://www.engadget....tric-wake-boat/

I saw that vid a little while back and was curious on the price. Batteries are heavy so it would certainly lend itself to a wake boat design. Just like hybrid cars, I think the price doesn't justify the gain. I still would like to see a V-Drive boat with a turbo diesel. Thumbup.gif Good gas economy and heaps of torque!

I cant see what the video shows, but I saw an article on this boat in some mag. approx $120k sales price. They profess to already having sold half a dozen of them in Europe (where fuel prices are sky high). I think about 90 minutes run time per charge. I believe they have a small engine in them used strictly to charge the batteries.

Last I heard they did not have a final price yet (not done with developing) and they are currently taking reservations of $15k for a spot in line to buy one. That boat is really cool but it seems like you would either have to wakeboard everyday 365 or be an uber rich environmentalist (not that I am anti-green) that enjoys going to the lake.

Edited by Meyerbu

Last I heard they did not have a final price yet (not done with developing) and they are currently taking reservations of $15k for a spot in line to buy one. That boat is really cool but it seems like you would either have to wakeboard everyday 365 or be an uber rich environmentalist (not that I am anti-green) that enjoys going to the lake.

You think Al Gore has one?

i cant wait for the day i can buy an electric ski boat. everything about electric motors and their properties in a skiing setting is ideal.

If i ever win lotto i will be buying an RLX and converting one just to prove how awesome it would be. jumpers would be lining up at the dock.

Not the best looking thing I have seen. I would definitely miss the sound of the V8 though. Even though it says it uses 50% less fuel, the amount that you would spend on it and the electricity to charge it would take forever to become cost-effective. Not that I am bashing its green energy, we could all use some more of that. Hell, I'm currently in an AP Environmental class right now.

Im not that sold on hybrids as of yet, cradle to grave they are more polluting , we are in the car bussiness and all the data we receieve shows all of the hazardest waste in the creation of and disposal of all aspects of a hybrid and they by far out gain the slight reduction in hydracarbons of combustion engines.

So why dont they make a turbo diesel?? It would make lots more torque, and be way better on fuel economy. Maybe I will try and make one someday in my spare time.

Interesting idea, wrong market. I think that if cutting fuel consumption, reducing emissions, and being environmentally friendly are your goals in life, then waterskiing and wakeboarding are probably not the best hobbies for you.

As mentioned above, I can definitely get behind a diesel boat though.

So why dont they make a turbo diesel?? It would make lots more torque, and be way better on fuel economy. Maybe I will try and make one someday in my spare time.

Because turbos dont work good on water unless you have 4 of them pushing a quarter mile drag boat. Lag is a killer. Diesel exhaust is dirty and noxious to ski behind.

$60,000 boats and people are worried about fuel economy. Dontknow.gif

Edited by stroker-ace

And before someone beats me to it...

Turbo diesels are awesome on open water vessels cuz they make s-loads of power, but their turbos tend to be the size of small children and therefore take about a half hour to spool. For long, open throttle cruising only.

Your V8 is going to make more power than any 4cyl turbo diesel. If you are thinking of V8 turbo diesel, then the cost of the engine outweighs any fuel savings...not to mention the emissions.