Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurfing on VLX vs. 23LSV

Kevin B

I am deciding between buying a VLX or 23LSV. I am 250 pounds, 6 ft tall and love to wake surf but would prefer not to add fat sacs. I would get either boat with the biggest engine available and full the MLS with bow ballast tanks. Any recommendations on which boat to buy?

I am deciding between buying a VLX or 23LSV. I am 250 pounds, 6 ft tall and love to wake surf but would prefer not to add fat sacs. I would get either boat with the biggest engine available and full the MLS with bow ballast tanks. Any recommendations on which boat to buy?

23 LSV I'd be willing to let mine go for $41,000 if your interested

you will need to add additional ballast unless you max out the people and cram them in the surf corner and put the small children in the locker :). On an 08 23 LSV we run 900 lbs in the locker in the surf side, and fill both rear, mid and front and I am still hit or miss if the wedge fully deployed helps but at max wake size it kills wave. The vlx is easier to weight out as the wave is dependent on how much you can lean the boat over and how deep you can get it.... the lsv is obviously longer and also has a wider beam which needs more weight to lean over and sink. I have surfed behind both and find my LSV wave longer.

Edited by G-Mack

The easiest boat to get a surf wave out of with minimal weight is the 09' VLX. The best wave IMO is the 08'+ 23 LSV, but it takes some weight.

Edited by 06vlx

you will need to add additional ballast unless you max out the people and cram them in the surf corner and put the small children in the locker :). On an 08 23 LSV we run 900 lbs in the locker in the surf side, and fill both rear, mid and front and I am still hit or miss if the wedge fully deployed helps but at max wake size it kills wave. The vlx is easier to weight out as the wave is dependent on how much you can lean the boat over and how deep you can get it.... the lsv is obviously longer and also has a wider beam which needs more weight to lean over and sink. I have surfed behind both and find my LSV wave longer.

Do you usually have people hanging off the sides to curl the wake?

go with a bigger boat. you will wish you had if you dont. i bought at 23 and loved it. it is a fine boat. then i made the mistake of getting on a 247. less than a year after buying my 06 23, i ordered my 247.

If you get bigger boat you will need more weight to sink it.

I'd get the 23' and bring more peeps! (that means more People)

How many full size peeps do you think I would need?

• 1 month later...

Do you usually have people hanging off the sides to curl the wake?

I haven't done that yet... my surf crew usually has as many kids under 5 as adults so they have to all sit and hang onto a kid... I have heard of guys doing it but it is a bit risky for me. I just bought another 900 lb bag to put on the floor.. so my wave is now independent of people... hopefully

I got the VLX and it is easy to get a nice surf wake since I usually have 7-8 people on board and most are over 200 lbs. I would say get the boat that is right for you, whether it is the 23 or 247 and worry about the surf wake aftewards. You have ballas and can always add more ballast if need be. A couple fat sacs is easy to get and fill up and it makes more sense to buy more fat sacs for the boat you want than to get a boat you don't want or need. Test drive and buy.