Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Vests

Malibuswany

I really like my Jet Pilot A10 (comp Vest). Very light weight and excellent mobility. Doesn't have the best flotation, but keeps my head above water.

I need a new one too. The last 2 I've been using are from Ski Limited & Rubber Jungle. For some reason most vests are pretty short on me. Those two are long enough that they actually come down to my shorts. The Ski Limited is USCG approved, the Rubber Jungle is AUCG approved, but you can also order them in custom colors & silkscreened with your own artwork.

Doing as many crazy tricks as we do, I don't mess with any competition vests. I need the thing to float me under any circumstances..... because I'll probably crash big sometime soon.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I bought an O'Neill Revenge last year and have loved it. It is USCG approved, but not bulky. I also have an O'Neill Gooru vest which is a comp vest. It is nice, but it doesn't give much in the way of rib protection for some of my wipeouts. I have been almost exclusively using the Revenge. Check it out.

Currently using neoprene Body Glove Matrix. BG's run very big, and this one seems to have stretched a bit.

I'm looking to pick up a Comp vest (to wear under drysuit). As a "natural sinker", looking at the Radar Comp vest...as I was told it has some added bouyancy.

Edited by davemac

I have 2 o'neil vests:

Revenge USCG - good bouyancy, good protection and for a USCG really good maneuverability for slalom (I can get my elbows tucked in to get the handle low to my hips). The hidden buckles are different but easy to get used to and nice. It's a little heavy when just picking it up, but once it's on I don't notice it.

Checkmate (not USCG) - barely keeps my head above water. I've taken some hard falls and ended up with it around my neck and elbows on one occasion. That was a little scary, if my ski was still attached I think I would have been in trouble. That vest is now reserved for shallow lake use only now. If you really have your heart set on a non USCG, make sure it has a belt to keep the thing down around your torso.

I retired another o'neil, last year that was 7 years old. I'm curious to see if my new revenge holds up as long.

I recently started using the O'Neill TNT Comp vest. It has tons of padding and some of the hardest spills on the hydrofoil haven't hurt at all really. It's very slim fitting and you can get it in orange camo! It's not an approved vest though, so it depends on the laws in your area, or whether you care or not. I've tried the more "floaty" approved vests and didnt like them. I like piercing the water when I fall instead of hitting the water and my vest forcing me to stay on top of the water.

O'Neil Law Vest - Super comfortable, feels like a comp vest, but is USCG legal

By far my favorite vest I've ever worn / owned.

-Paul

Plus1.gif I'm with Paul, hands down the best vest I've used to date. Had mine 3 seasons now and it's still in near perfect condition, plus it's extremely comfortable and protective. Tried a non-USCG O'Neil, it floats me about nose high. I like a little more breathing aparatus above the water line...

Ed

I'd be interested if anyone wants to share more info on the O'Neill Revenge (please specify whether USCG or non USCG version...they offer both). Specifically, how does it compare to the Law & does it get heavy when wet.

Likewise, anyone w/ the Law want to comment on weight when wet?

TIA

Eagle vests are highly regarded as some as the best non-USCG vests around. See here: Eagle Sports. O'Neill is also up there but I have stretching of the neoprene from their comp vests is a little more significant than of other makers. If you only expect 1 season out of it you are good to go though.

What are you looking for? a pullover, front zip, back zip? Certified/Non-Certified vest?

I retired another o'neil, last year that was 7 years old. I'm curious to see if my new revenge holds up as long.

We're on our 4th O'neil vests.

Our original two got retired after 10 years. They're still very useable and we keep them for guests.

Tried a non-USCG O'Neil, it floats me about nose high. I like a little more breathing aparatus above the water line...

Ed

Try it without your board or foil strapped on? We find a lot of them won't float a rider on their own.

...or in Ed's case I believe...without the Rippin' Stick strapped on.

What I'm looking for is either... a USGA vest that is flexible, thin & unobtrusive (don't want exposed buckles in case worn under dry suit) , and doesn't get real heavy when wet....

or a Comp Vest that provides more floatation/bouyancy than other Comps.

An in-between "hybrid" I guess, if such a vest exists.

I'd be interested if anyone wants to share more info on the O'Neill Revenge (please specify whether USCG or non USCG version...they offer both). Specifically, how does it compare to the Law & does it get heavy when wet.

Likewise, anyone w/ the Law want to comment on weight when wet?

TIA

The foam in the Law does not absorb water so it doesn't take on any additional weight, one of the numerous things I really like about it.

I wear mine under my dry suit Dave (baggy), the buckles have never been an issue. Not sure why that's a concern to you but It's never been a problem.

Ed

Edited by ed obermeier

The revenge USCG does take on some water. The outer shell isn't glide skin so it absorb some as well. It also takes on some when submerged, between the outer shell and foam. This drains relatively quick so it's not too noticeable. When picking up my revenge after use I can tell it weighs slightly more but don't notice it while wearing it.

The two things I like about it the most are the low belts (which I think the law is similar), this keeps it from riding up. The covered belts are really nice.

Since I haven't worn a law, I'm not sure of this but it seems that there is more flotation foam around your midsection. The revenge seems to distribute it all over and have a little less bulk in the middle, which really helped me for slalom. This comment is more based on appearance and the assumption they have similar levels of flotation foam to meet the USCG requirements.

However I was pretty close to buying a Law, I really think you can't go wrong with a USCG O'Neil.

Edited by Wayne

I bought an HO Candidate Comp boat in the fall and it floats my 230 pounds without any problem. It doesn't float me like my LF USCG vest but it provides pretty good protection and it is much more comfortable to ski in plus it doesn't hold water so it is lite.

I wear mine under my dry suit Dave (baggy), the buckles have never been an issue. Not sure why that's a concern to you but It's never been a problem.

Ed

...just worried they might chafe the (baggy) drysuit. I just picked up the Eagle drysuit w/ the zipper running diagonally across the front, and didn't want buckles catching on or interfering w/ drysuit zipper. I'm probably worrying about nothing.

-Dave

...just worried they might chafe the (baggy) drysuit. I just picked up the Eagle drysuit w/ the zipper running diagonally across the front, and didn't want buckles catching on or interfering w/ drysuit zipper. I'm probably worrying about nothing.

-Dave

Yep. My StayDry is almost 10 yrs old & has no signs of chaffing. Not even from the SkySki belt. Wore out the tops of the feet this year though.... first time for everything.