Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Decreasing Engine Noise

Murco

Hi All,

I have a 1999 sportster lx and am getting fed-up with how loud the boat is. I was told most of the engine noise is produced by the rubber discharge hoses of the header. Not sure if accurate? I also was told that the new hoses are made of fiberglass to muffle the noise. If this is true, where can I purchase aftermarket parts for Indmar Vortec?

Thanks

Hi All,

I have a 1999 sportster lx and am getting fed-up with how loud the boat is. I was told most of the engine noise is produced by the rubber discharge hoses of the header. Not sure if accurate? I also was told that the new hoses are made of fiberglass to muffle the noise. If this is true, where can I purchase aftermarket parts for Indmar Vortec?

Thanks

You can always try insulating the engine compartment. Should make at least a noticeable difference I'd imagine

new hoses are made of fiberglass to muffle the noise

you can install mufflers (contain sound baffles) to dampen out some of the noise.

they probably look like they "are made of fiberglass".

as suggested above, insulating the dog house will quiet the ride inside the boat, too.

Yeah, plenty of info on this site about insulating the motorbox ($150) and/or installing in-line silencers (about $250). I did both this past off-season, and it made a quite a difference. I didn't realize just how much until a buddy borrowed my boat (to take his 80yr old mom for a ski!!) and was amazed at how much quieter my boat is compared to his (Response).

I'm not familiar w/ the specifics of your Sporty, but I'm sure others will chime in. FYI, exhaust hose (with steel belts running through it) is some nasty stuff to wrestle with and try to cut through. If to replace, hopefully you can order them cut to fit.

Edited by davemac

I used the B-Quiet ultimate material for my motor cover. I also used it on my previous Porsche a 1999 Carrera. The stuff definitely works. It will lower the pitch of the noise that does come through. Easy to apply, you just peel from the backing strip and apply with the adhesive built into the material. Easy to cut to size before you peel the backing strip off. And you can overlap layers on the edges that do not need to be cut. Will not adhere to foam but holds firmly on metal and fibreglass.

http://www.b-quiet.com/ultimate.html

Edited by DONTW8

Has anyone taken before and after db (sound pressure) readings? It is encouraging to hear these strategies make a difference. Curious how the numbers work out.

Hopefully this works.....

scroll down to the first reply.

this has definitely been added on the winter to-do list..

Edited by Live2Ride

Are you ded up with the noise inside or outside the boat? If outside, or really from the back, teh engine box insulation won't help much. If inside, it will help. A silent rider exhaust muffler will also quiet the boat significantly, mostly outside. Also, if inside, you might want to add some insulation above the exhaust pipes running out the back, that area will also transmit moise but less since the floor does act as an insulator.

I used the B-Quiet ultimate material for my motor cover. I also used it on my previous Porsche a 1999 Carrera. The stuff definitely works. It will lower the pitch of the noise that does come through. Easy to apply, you just peel from the backing strip and apply with the adhesive built into the material. Easy to cut to size before you peel the backing strip off. And you can overlap layers on the edges that do not need to be cut. Will not adhere to foam but holds firmly on metal and fibreglass.

http://www.b-quiet.com/ultimate.html

This looks like the easiest/quickest way to do it, just cut to size and stick it on. Question - how much did you use to do your motor box, will a 12 sq ft roll be enough?

Ed

I bought the 50 sq. ft. roll from B-Quiet. I originally used the B-Quiet Ultimate on my previous Porsche. I figured that I would need more than 12 sq ft and that I would use the 50 sq. ft. roll. I think the motor cover will use 24 sq. ft., but I did not measure how much I used on either project.

• 2 months later...