Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gas tank issues today

Today while winterizing, I was going to replace the fuel cap inlet because the last time I took out the boat, I left the cap sitting on the swim deck while fueling and lost it. Well to make a long story short, I had some issues removing the old inlet and hose from the tank. It ended up involving a pair of channel locks which in turn dropped metal shavings in the tank. So I had to pull the tank, drain about 20 gallons of gas, and wash it out. In the process, I found that the screen on the pick up line in the tank was just floating around because the clamp had rusted off. My questions are:

1. What should I use to replace screen to the pick up line in tank? Would zip ties be better than metal clamps since they don't rust?

2. I have a 92' skier, does it have an inline filter anywhere? I have not been able to find one other than the fuel water seperator.

3. If it does not have a fuel filter, would it be in my best interest to add one?

4. I have seen on here where you guys talk about replacing dist. cap and rotors. How often should this be done?

I bought this boat last summer and this was our second season with it. I love the DD malibu. Just need a few answers as this is the first inboard I have ever owned. Always been one of those guys with the fast bass boat with an outboard I couldn't work on. I like being able to come here and usually get enough knowledge to work on this 5.7 litre without going to the shop. Sure have saved me lots of money.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Today while winterizing, I was going to replace the fuel cap inlet because the last time I took out the boat, I left the cap sitting on the swim deck while fueling and lost it. Well to make a long story short, I had some issues removing the old inlet and hose from the tank. It ended up involving a pair of channel locks which in turn dropped metal shavings in the tank. So I had to pull the tank, drain about 20 gallons of gas, and wash it out. In the process, I found that the screen on the pick up line in the tank was just floating around because the clamp had rusted off. My questions are:

1. What should I use to replace screen to the pick up line in tank? Would zip ties be better than metal clamps since they don't rust?

2. I have a 92' skier, does it have an in-line filter anywhere? I have not been able to find one other than the fuel water separator.

3. If it does not have a fuel filter, would it be in my best interest to add one?

4. I have seen on here where you guys talk about replacing dist. cap and rotors. How often should this be done?

I bought this boat last summer and this was our second season with it. I love the DD Malibu. Just need a few answers as this is the first inboard I have ever owned. Always been one of those guys with the fast bass boat with an outboard I couldn't work on. I like being able to come here and usually get enough knowledge to work on this 5.7 liter without going to the shop. Sure have saved me lots of money.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

1. A zip tie would work for awhile but i think fuel is too corrosive. I would say a ALL stainless hose clamp would work but there is still ferris material in stainless. No good suggestion there...

2. All it has is the fuel water separator, you could add a in-line fuel filter and it would not hurt anything on that fuel system.

3. A fuel filter like this: http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=739 would help but your fuel water separator has a lot of surface area. As long as you service that once a year there is no big reason to add a in-line filter

4. You want to replace the cap and rotor (in the spring, don't do prior to winter storage) when ever the cap starts to get really "fuzzy" the points should be clean and in the marine environment they should be brass. Your 92 most likely has points and a condenser too which work great but they are very sensitive to corrosion and when they get out of tune you will know it because the boat won't want to start.

The crew is awesome, no doubt!

Good luck!

-Paul