Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Putting a boat back together

New to the inboard scene and just bought my first Malibu from a salvage auction. Here is the story: it is an 08 LSV 247 and previous owner hit a rock shelf at Lake Powell according to the boat shop that did the estimate. Needing replacement are two tracking fins, prop and prop shaft, prop strut and rudder assembly. On top of that, got an estimate of 3,500 for fiberglass repair. When the rock broke the shaft, it spun up and hit the hull and pushed it in far enough to hit the oil pan and crack it. Have all the hardware on order, but I am going to have a pleuthera of questions on getting this boat back to square one and on the water. First question, is there such thing as a service manual for the boat and motor? Shop pulled motor to verify cracked oil pan, but didn't reconnect a thing on putting it back in. EVERYTHING is disconnected, hoses, wiring harnesses, motor mounts, ect. If I had somebody in the Orem, Utah area that I could look at their boat, I could put it back together or if I had a service manual with diagrams. Second question concerns the Wedge. The right side mounting bolt was disconnected and what I assume is the position sensor that attaches to it was just hanging there. Anybody have a pic of how it attaches to the bolt and how I get it to go up? Wedge goes down, but "up" button does not work. Third question: when I install the new prop and shaft, how do you seal out the water? Is there a seal that I should have ordered for the new shaft? I have only dealt with outboard motors and outdrives until I picked up this boat. Anyhow, any help at all would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The wedge will not move up unless the boat is moving forward. Have someone hold the up button while you spin the paddle wheel under the boat. I think it has to be less than 10 mph to all the way up.

The wedge will not move up unless the boat is moving forward. Have someone hold the up button while you spin the paddle wheel under the boat. I think it has to be less than 10 mph to all the way up.

Interesting...wonder why?

Ok, so I got the wedge to move up. Thanks a ton on that guys. I would never have guessed. How about the sensor that attaches to the right side bolt on the Wedge? Is there a bracket of some sort to attach it to the bolt or does it just press-fit in to the allen wrench looking hole on the bolt?

Ok, so I got the wedge to move up. Thanks a ton on that guys. I would never have guessed. How about the sensor that attaches to the right side bolt on the Wedge? Is there a bracket of some sort to attach it to the bolt or does it just press-fit in to the allen wrench looking hole on the bolt?

Eeesh, not much help here fellas? Thanks anyways

hmmm, today is the first time i have seen this topic show up.

But to answer your question, don't have a clue. You know that is a really tough question and you have to realize we are not all mensa members here.

just kidding, someone will get the answer for you, just not me.

Eeesh, not much help here fellas? Thanks anyways

Do a search first as many of the questions you will have, have been previously discussed in this forum, if you can't find it, then post yyour question. Be patient and you will get the info you need.

First question, is there such thing as a service manual for the boat and motor?

check out skidim.com for a manual for the engine. i don't think that you are going to find manuals w wiring diagrams for the boat.

Second question concerns the Wedge. The right side mounting bolt was disconnected and what I assume is the position sensor that attaches to it was just hanging there. Anybody have a pic of how it attaches to the bolt and how I get it to go up? Wedge goes down, but "up" button does not work.

looks like this one is covered in the thread.

Third question: when I install the new prop and shaft, how do you seal out the water? Is there a seal that I should have ordered for the new shaft?

check this articleabout the stuffing box to see if it helps point you in the right direction.

all engine connections should match to one another only go one way,go online and u get a wiring manual from skidim.com . the prop shaft should having packing go around buy the dripless from skidim . make sure the vdrive and shaft are in line is the most important part. good luck with the repair keep us posted

New to the inboard scene and just bought my first Malibu from a salvage auction. Here is the story: it is an 08 LSV 247 and previous owner hit a rock shelf at Lake Powell according to the boat shop that did the estimate. Needing replacement are two tracking fins, prop and prop shaft, prop strut and rudder assembly. On top of that, got an estimate of 3,500 for fiberglass repair. When the rock broke the shaft, it spun up and hit the hull and pushed it in far enough to hit the oil pan and crack it. Have all the hardware on order, but I am going to have a pleuthera of questions on getting this boat back to square one and on the water. First question, is there such thing as a service manual for the boat and motor? Shop pulled motor to verify cracked oil pan, but didn't reconnect a thing on putting it back in. EVERYTHING is disconnected, hoses, wiring harnesses, motor mounts, ect. If I had somebody in the Orem, Utah area that I could look at their boat, I could put it back together or if I had a service manual with diagrams. Second question concerns the Wedge. The right side mounting bolt was disconnected and what I assume is the position sensor that attaches to it was just hanging there. Anybody have a pic of how it attaches to the bolt and how I get it to go up? Wedge goes down, but "up" button does not work. Third question: when I install the new prop and shaft, how do you seal out the water? Is there a seal that I should have ordered for the new shaft? I have only dealt with outboard motors and outdrives until I picked up this boat. Anyhow, any help at all would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Woah, i rkn we got worse luck, we have had two boats in our boating history, and we have used a donut / ski tube twice, both times we have used it something has gone wrong.

The first time we ever used the tubes was on our old seadoo jetboat, and suprise suprise, in the first 30 minutes the rope got sucked up into the engine.

The second time we took a tube out was about a month ago, first rider to use one, we were cruising along since they wanted to go slow to start with, at about 17 knots, and our prop directly hit a rock under the water, it was insured but if it wasnt it was going to cost 4500.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, slowly getting this baby back together. Couple of questions. Replaced the prop strut, and shaft. With the new strut in place, the new shaft doesn't seem to spin freely. Is it supposed to or is there supposed to be some kind of drag? Second question. Power wedge. I added a picture of the sensor that goes on the bolt. How does this thing stay attached to the bolt and how come the bolt doesn't seat all the way against the arm of the wedge? Can anybody look at this and tell me where it is off. Also, I took a picture of the engine. In the middle of the pic is a spout that looks like it has something to do with the cooling. What hose goes on this fitting if any?

Boatpics003.jpg

Boatpics004.jpg

The shaft shouldn't spin loosely, dry bind is normal. Can't help you with the wedge cause I don't have one. Do you have a heater core, looks like the hose may run to it but I can't tell the orientation from that photo.

The shaft won't spin free, if you have a prop on there and you spray the strut down with some wd-40 you can turn it. If it still won't turn your engine alignment is way off.

1st picture

Your missing a plastic piece that goes on the bolt in-between the wedge sensor and the bracket. Two screws hold the sensor tight to that.

2nd picture

Is that a 8.1L?

It sure looks like somebody made a homemade fitting for the heater, all they had to do is thread the brass piece into the block.

-Paul

The prop still won't spin freely. There is a bushing inside the strut that is typically water lubricated. Without water or soap or wd40 the prop will be pretty tough to move. With those, it will turn relatively easily, but won't spin too much after you stop pushing it.

Hey, keep us updated on your project with pics! I love seeing one come back from the dead. Is she going to be ready for next season? Thumbup.gif

Edited by ruffdawg

Wondering if someone could look at there boat and tell me where the heater core hoses route to? Also, anybody know where the cooloing system hoses route to for the raw water pump. My guess, correct me if I am wrong. Intake from botom of boat, to the tranny cooler, then to the raw water pump, from there up to the waterpump housing??? Any clue where it is supposed to tap into the V drive?

Nope, bottom of boat to vdrive to waterpump to tranny cooler

• 10 months later...

This boat was listed for sale about 2 months ago in some local classifieds. Guy told me that there was some mild fiberglass repair on the bottom. I called the dealership and found out the boat has been extensively repaired...to say the least. Major accident. Hate to see this sort of thing. Dishonesty to say the least.

There is a classified ad on this site as well that has now been locked.

This boat was listed for sale about 2 months ago in some local classifieds. Guy told me that there was some mild fiberglass repair on the bottom. I called the dealership and found out the boat has been extensively repaired...to say the least. Major accident. Hate to see this sort of thing. Dishonesty to say the least.

There is a classified ad on this site as well that has now been locked.

The guy that started this thread (Reedus) is also the guy that was trying to sell the boat when he put it all back together. He tried to sell it as an un-salvaged boat, even after he started this thread. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer.