Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Water In Fuel Tank

Stanley Wheelhouse

Has water entered your fuel tank via the fuel fill cap or the over flow vent line?

are the caps completely waterproof

can water enter the fuel line

will a racor act as a check valve to prevent water from entering the fuel vent

we surf and had a rough running motor the other day. almost like water entered the fuel system. has anyone else experienced this?

I believe the fuel caps are water tight. There's a decent rubber ring inside there.

Water can certainly enter through the vent line if the line runs "down hill" to the tank, nothing to stop it. Even the Racor won't stop water coming in that direction.

I think ive seen in one of the posts that someone else had that same problem. They turned the vent counter clockwise so the vent was facing the transom. Im not sure if it totally fixed the problem, maybe someone can chime in that has done this with more info on results. I planned on doing this mod, but my laziness prohibited me from doing it before the season came to a close. Guess Ill add it to the winter to-do list.

this was the subject of quite a long thread a while back. personally, i tape over the vent when surfing. It actually got to the point where i would forget to take it off and now it is on pretty much taped over all the time. I do however, crack the fill cap once or twice between fills.

We've simply moved the vent to the other side of the boat for quite a few customers, left the old vent installed but sealed off the back side so it looks normal but won't let any water in. If you surf regular all the time you should think about moving your vent over to the goofy side.

Surfing tends to foul spark plugs, i would take a look at your plugs or get a good wide open throttle run (you should do this as much as possible to get the motor hot to help clean the build up out)

Fuel is over 89 octane?

Hope the issue clears up!

-Paul

We've simply moved the vent to the other side of the boat for quite a few customers, left the old vent installed but sealed off the back side so it looks normal but won't let any water in. If you surf regular all the time you should think about moving your vent over to the goofy side.

Surfing tends to foul spark plugs, i would take a look at your plugs or get a good wide open throttle run (you should do this as much as possible to get the motor hot to help clean the build up out)

Fuel is over 89 octane?

Hope the issue clears up!

-Paul

is it the load or angle of the motor that causes plug fouling?

I found that my vent runs straight down hill to the tank also. I want to fix this before I start my first season of surfing next year Thumbup.gif Can't you just run it up and attach it to the bottom side of the gunnel and then let it run down to the tank? Water wouldn't enter the tank unless that side was totally submerged (about 6 inches or so over the rubrail on my boat), right?

is it the load or angle of the motor that causes plug fouling?

It's the load, Just make sure your getting a WOT pass before and after to keep things cleaned out. I've also noticed that customers with Hammerheads that tend to baby them have more issues. That motor wants to run, so give it some legs as often as you can.

I found that my vent runs straight down hill to the tank also. I want to fix this before I start my first season of surfing next year Thumbup.gif Can't you just run it up and attach it to the bottom side of the gunnel and then let it run down to the tank? Water wouldn't enter the tank unless that side was totally submerged (about 6 inches or so over the rub rail on my boat), right?

I would extend your vent line, just make sure not to make a loop or a low point where fuel could collect in the line, then it won't vent properly. Going up the gunnel a little ways would work then right angle right down to the vent fitting. Make sure you use fuel rated hose when you do it.

-Paul