Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Heaters

aaudii5150

Great when the RPMs are over about 2000. Not as good at idle speeds.

On my last boat I installed this Y adapter& heat at idle speeds was improved quite a bit. I've also heard you can drill out the hole a bit & improve it even more.

What did you do with it and how does it work?

What did you do with it and how does it work?

You move your water return hose from up on the engine water pump, to down on the raw water pump, just after the raw water intake. This pump pumps more water faster, and doesn't change with the engine RPMs.

It's something I'm thinking about doing this winter on the Vride.

My new 4 outlet rocks with the Y-adapter installed properly.

-Chris

What is the "proper" installation? Just wanna do the job once and get it right!

This is one of those things that just don't make sense. I too had the Y adapter moved to the proper location before the raw water pump in order to get heat at idle. Why does the factory ship the adapter the other way? Makes no sense to me. It's not a difficult fix, but still...

• 3 weeks later...

Please look at the attached picture and let me know if this is the correct location for the y adapter. This is the way it came from Malibu in my 247 LSV. the right side of the picture it the back of the boat.

Thanks, Dave

My heater works great. Yes.gif Definitely add the "Y" pipe. And be sure to put it inline before the raw water pump.

post-7655-125996179468_thumb.jpg

Please look at the attached picture and let me know if this is the correct location for the y adapter. This is the way it came from Malibu in my 247 LSV. the right side of the picture it the back of the boat.

Thanks, Dave

Looks like you might have it flipped the wrong way, the smaller line from the heater should be slanting towards the impeller.

Is the impeller by the alternator? The y is slanted toward the alternator and away from the v-drive Transmission. Is that correct?

Dave

Looks like you might have it flipped the wrong way, the smaller line from the heater should be slanting towards the impeller.

Is the impeller by the alternator? The y is slanted toward the alternator and away from the v-drive Transmission. Is that correct?

Dave

I'd flip it. (improve venturi effect?)

Dave

You can see the hoses entering and exiting the impeller housing in the red circle. The "y" looks like it needs to be flipped so that the smaller branch is pointing towards the impeller.

post-8316-126029649307_thumb.jpg

That looks like the Y pipe is installed in the hose between the raw water pump and the transmission cooler [EDIT: after looking at it again, I really can't tell.] That set up would work better than just using the engine circulation pump but not as well as have the Y pipe in front of the raw water pump. Climb in there with a flashlight and find the hose that goes from the thru-hull fitting up to the raw water pump...that's the hose that you want the Y pipe installed in. I could take a pic of mine but being that I have a direct drive it won't look the same as a V-drive. You want the angle of the Y pipe to allow for the smooth in-flow of water into the suction flow of the pump.

Edited by NorCaliBu

That looks like the Y pipe is installed in the hose between the raw water pump and the transmission cooler [EDIT: after looking at it again, I really can't tell.] That set up would work better than just using the engine circulation pump but not as well as have the Y pipe in front of the raw water pump. Climb in there with a flashlight and find the hose that goes from the thru-hull fitting up to the raw water pump...that's the hose that you want the Y pipe installed in. I could take a pic of mine but being that I have a direct drive it won't look the same as a V-drive. You want the angle of the Y pipe to allow for the smooth in-flow of water into the suction flow of the pump.

Below is a picture I just took of the raw water inlet, tranny, and then thoe outlet water towards the back of the boat. The previous picture I posted is teh continuation of the hose on the right going towards the back of the boat.

The best place for the Y would be on the inlet on the left hand side of the tranny? Is that correct?

Thanks. Dave

post-7655-126047608097_thumb.jpg

Below is a picture I just took of the raw water inlet, tranny, and then thoe outlet water towards the back of the boat. The previous picture I posted is teh continuation of the hose on the right going towards the back of the boat.

The best place for the Y would be on the inlet on the left hand side of the tranny? Is that correct?

Thanks. Dave

Norcalibu is a direct drive guy so disregard anything he says, he's backwards Tease2.gif You've got it in the correct location, it just needs flipped. I love a good reason to exercise my crazy MS Paint skills, this shows your flow.

post-8316-126047994917_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ndawg12