Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Power Wedge

A buddy of mine(who is a MC owner) implied there had been some problems or recalls in the past with the Malibu wedge system. I told him I was not aware of any and I haven't had any problems with the power wedge on my Malibu but it is a 2009 so I've only had it for one season. Any truth to this, or is he just desparate for a dig against Malibu?

Since no one has answered this yet I will say that I have only seen a few posts. If I remember right I have seen posts about water intrusion or problems associated with boats that spend a great deal of time in the water (mooring). I have not heard of any recalls. Certainly can't be that big of an issue or we would all know about it.

Try a search BTW....might turn up more.

The problems your buddy heard about were probably concerning the manual wedge. There was no recall, but there was definitely a problem with bolts shearing off. I had that problem with my 2004. My 2008 power wedge has gone 225 hours without any issues.

The power wedge on my older 06 Vride and now my 08 VLX had/have no major issues. I did have an occurrence on the 06 model where the display would beep "wedge moving up" even though the wedge was up. Only happened in rougher water conditions or double ups. BU dealer tried a few software upgrades but it didn't fix the problem..

The power wedge has been awesome, no recalls, no major issues.

I biggest issue I see is people turning off or disconnecting their batteries. Then forgetting to calibrate the wedge and having the wedge gauge operate funny because you need to re-teach it where up and down is (takes 10 seconds to do)

-Paul

A buddy of mine(who is a MC owner) implied there had been some problems or recalls in the past with the Malibu wedge system. I told him I was not aware of any and I haven't had any problems with the power wedge on my Malibu but it is a 2009 so I've only had it for one season. Any truth to this, or is he just desparate for a dig against Malibu?

the only problem i have ever had on three different malibus we have owned over the years, all with power wedge, is smacking something under the water while surfing. ouch! but this is my fault and not the power wedge.

pro surfers love the wedge as well as pro wakeboarders. i have pulled many over the years. they all agree. the wedge rocks!

your friend is from the dark-side. consider the source.

Edited by Rhino

No recalls have ever been issued. As others have said in the past the manual wedge had some incidents where the bolts did shear off, but the numbers pail in comparison to the numbers of wedges that functioned w/o any issues. The PW while no major issues have come up the company Lenco Marine whom manufactures the pistons did do a minor update to them in '08-'09 but nothing that is noticeable.

Thanks for all the great feedback. This confirms my assumption that there probably wasn't much fact behind his statement and it was probably a weak attempt at a shot on Malibu, since MC don't offer a similar technology (or as my MC buddy would say, "MC doesn't need a wedge"). I'll continue to enjoy my wedge and IMO offers more flexibility on wake size/shape.

The power wedge has been awesome, no recalls, no major issues.

I biggest issue I see is people turning off or disconnecting their batteries. Then forgetting to calibrate the wedge and having the wedge gauge operate funny because you need to re-teach it where up and down is (takes 10 seconds to do)

-Paul

Paul,

How do you calibrate the power wedge gauge?

TIA

Paul,

TIA

Search and you should find specifics. The cliff notes version is: On the menu (maybe setup?) you find a calibrate wedge or power wedge selection. Choose down and deploy the wedge, then press done, choose raise, then raise the wedge then press done. That calibrates it to know the top and bottom stops.

Paul,

TIA

On a 2007 all you have to do is put the wedge up and down once and it will re-calibrate the gauge.

Search and you should find specifics. The cliff notes version is: On the menu (maybe setup?) you find a calibrate wedge or power wedge selection. Choose down and deploy the wedge, then press done, choose raise, then raise the wedge then press done. That calibrates it to know the top and bottom stops.

On 2008+ Malibutime is right, i have the .pdf at work that i will try to post next week.

Main LCD

Setup

Service

Power Wedge

Scroll Down and Select Calibrate Down

Manually hit down button and put the wedge all the way down

click E button on LCD to confirm and calibrate down

Scroll down and Select Calibrate Up

Manually hit up button and put the wedge all the way up

click E button on LCD to confirm and calibrate up

Done Calibrating.

Once your familiar with the screens it takes seconds to do, If you turn your battery switch off it's a good idea to calibrate the wedge since when you kill the power the computer will lose that memory.

-Paul

• 5 months later...

The problems your buddy heard about were probably concerning the manual wedge. There was no recall, but there was definitely a problem with bolts shearing off. I had that problem with my 2004. My 2008 power wedge has gone 225 hours without any issues.

I have a 2004 23 LSV and I am already on my third manual wedge because the screws keep shearing off. This occurs in less than a years time. There must be a manufacturer defect here.

I have a 2004 23 LSV and I am already on my third manual wedge because the screws keep shearing off. This occurs in less than a years time. There must be a manufacturer defect here.

^

|

|

Ignored because of likely troll.Lame.gif

• 4 weeks later...

can the power wedge be installed on a older vlx 03'?

my manual wedge just broke on mine sheared the bolts off the left side and bent it over to the right

• 2 years later...

On a 2007 all you have to do is put the wedge up and down once and it will re-calibrate the gauge.

On 2008+ Malibutime is right, i have the .pdf at work that i will try to post next week.

Main LCD

Setup

Service

Power Wedge

Scroll Down and Select Calibrate Down

Manually hit down button and put the wedge all the way down

click E button on LCD to confirm and calibrate down

Scroll down and Select Calibrate Up

Manually hit up button and put the wedge all the way up

click E button on LCD to confirm and calibrate up

Done Calibrating.

Once your familiar with the screens it takes seconds to do, If you turn your battery switch off it's a good idea to calibrate the wedge since when you kill the power the computer will lose that memory.

-Paul

How do you calibrate on a 2010? We don't have the option in the setup to calibrate. Do you just move the wedge all the way down then all the way up? I think we need to calibrate because we were having some weird issues with it today... Thanks

• 4 weeks later...