Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

wiring diagram/schematics for 04&05 LXi

bouyhead+

Hi guys newbie here. Can anyone help me out with a wiring schematic for a 04 & 05 LXi with the 340 monsoon? We run these two boats at our club and they both have intermittent starting issues.I tried to search but my PC at work is painfully slow. Thanks in advance.

I doubt there's a diagram out there for us. Here is the owner's manual on Indmar's site. It's a painful slow 2.2 Meg download. There are no diagrams in it.

Only other source is this book it's pretty close in years and does have basic wiring diagrams. Have your two buddies split the cost, it's your best bet.

AFAIK - There's no real wiring diagrams that have been distributed.

What's the behavior when the starting issues are present? Cold start, warm start?

Turn over, no gauges, no run? Check you safely lanyards - or bypass it.

No turn over, no click, gauges fire up OK? Check your neutral safety switch.

No turn over, click, gauges may not initialize - Check your battery, starter solenoid or starter.

Turn over, gauges initialize, no fire? Could me many things, mostly ignition, cap & rotor or fuel delivery.

There's a lot of knowledge out here - give us a little more to go on.

AFAIK - There's no real wiring diagrams that have been distributed.

What's the behavior when the starting issues are present? Cold start, warm start?

Turn over, no gauges, no run? Check you safely lanyards - or bypass it.

No turn over, no click, gauges fire up OK? Check your neutral safety switch.

No turn over, click, gauges may not initialize - Check your battery, starter solenoid or starter.

Turn over, gauges initialize, no fire? Could me many things, mostly ignition, cap & rotor or fuel delivery.

There's a lot of knowledge out here - give us a little more to go on.

The boat acts up either hot or cold, all gauges fire up, lanyards bypassed a while ago.The boats either start with the key or you have to jump the solenoid. I replaced one starter on the 04 but the condition still persisted.I guess I was looking for the procedure to test all components when it acts up. I'm assuming I start at the key and go from there? I also remember hearing about a starter relay. Keep in mind these two boats see heavy use. the 04 is approaching 2000hrs. The 05 about 1400. Thanks.

I'd start with basics, clean all the battery terminals and check the condition of all connectors.

Then I'd pull the batteries and have them load tested at a shop. You could also take the starters and have them tested at the same time. Ensuring these components are good and all the connections are solid is step 1.

-Chris

or you have to jump the solenoid.

Please explain this. What exactly are you doing to get the motor to crank?

Has either of these boats ever gotten so much water in the bilge at any time that the starter was under water? (poss. while moored overnight?)

Is there a click when you try to start the motor? Does it start up if you jump the solenoid? If these are the case I would look at the slave solenoid or relay. They will cause the same issue. Try cycling the key quickly and multiple times and see if they start. Maybe tap the starter also these are quick and easy dianogstic proceedures.

Next to the ECM and fuel pump relays. It is the only one with yellow wires going to it. In the 05 Lxi's case, they are hidden under a black metal plate on the back of the engine.

Edited by electricjohn

Next to the ECM and fuel pump relays. It is the only one with yellow wires going to it. In the 05 Lxi's case, they are hidden under a black metal plate on the back of the engine.

Thanks.

And this is a relay for just the starter solenoid signal wire?

The boat acts up either hot or cold, all gauges fire up, lanyards bypassed a while ago.The boats either start with the key or you have to jump the solenoid. I replaced one starter on the 04 but the condition still persisted.I guess I was looking for the procedure to test all components when it acts up. I'm assuming I start at the key and go from there? I also remember hearing about a starter relay. Keep in mind these two boats see heavy use. the 04 is approaching 2000hrs. The 05 about 1400. Thanks.

2000 hours? woohoo!! that's great. Can you describe your symptoms in more detail (no crank, crank but click, multiple click, extended crank before start) etc etc. i can try to help you out.

Thanks.

And this is a relay for just the starter solenoid signal wire?

Picture is worth a 1,000 words right? Relay: http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1415 Very very very rare that this is the issue, you have one for Fuel, Ignition and start. It's the relay for the yellow with red stripe coming from the key switch which then runs to the start solenoid. Along with those relays there are also 3 mini fuses right next to those relays. If there is a water or moisture issues, most of the time the start fuse can get blown.

I'm pretty positive In 2004 you had a slave solenoid http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1420 mounted on the backside of the ECM plate. Which would be worth checking for if power is not making it to the starter.

Hope this helps

-Paul

2000 hours? woohoo!! that's great. Can you describe your symptoms in more detail (no crank, crank but click, multiple click, extended crank before start) etc etc. i can try to help you out.

Picture is worth a 1,000 words right? Relay: http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1415 Very very very rare that this is the issue, you have one for Fuel, Ignition and start. It's the relay for the yellow with red stripe coming from the key switch which then runs to the start solenoid. Along with those relays there are also 3 mini fuses right next to those relays. If there is a water or moisture issues, most of the time the start fuse can get blown.

I'm pretty positive In 2004 you had a slave solenoid http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1420 mounted on the backside of the ECM plate. Which would be worth checking for if power is not making it to the starter.

Hope this helps

-Paul

Thanks for all the help guys. Turn key to ON position all gauges fire up, turn key to START position nothing. Leave key in ON position jump the solenoid at the starter and were off to the races. Somtimes I get in the boat and it will start with the key...??? And yes, there is quite a bit of water/moisture in the bilge do to the infamous HDS box. When the boat acts up is there a procedure to test each component and in what order? Thanks again. Mike