Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Another Winterization Topic

Just replaced my impeller and installed a Perko Flush Pro. Thanks to the crew for the impeller puller advise. That thing is like magic.

I just installed a Flush Pro on my 07 WS 23 LSV between the sea water intake and the Ski-vee. That was a pain in the a**, but not as much as connecting the garden hose to the Flush Pro in the bilge (I didn't want to install the through hull connection). Its so tight in the bilge, trying to screw the garden hose or suction hose (for antifreeze) on is a real pain. Whats worse, after connecting the suction hose w/ the little piece in place the raw water pump wouldn't siphon antifreeze from the container (any ideas why?). Thus, I inserted a funnel in the suction hose and poured 3 gals of blue marine/rv antifreeze in while the engine was running.

After all this, I remebered seeing some pics on cracked blocks already this year on TMC and I got paranoid. So I went ahead and drained the block and exhaust manifolds b/c I wasn't sure how much freeze protection I had. Now I'm worried about my heater. I didn't blow the water out of the heater lines. Do you guys think there is enough antifreeze in the heater for a Georgia winter or should I fire up the air compressor?

Thanks in advance.

it is pretty easy to check or add anti-freeze to the heater - just disconnect both heater lines and blow through the uppper line and see what comes out of the lower one. If it is water - continue to blow thru until it clears, and then pour in some new antif-freeze until you see if flowing out the lower line.

Shade, If you found blue AF when you drained the exhaust manifolds and the block, you should be good for the winter. I take it you were concerned that the antifreeze didn't get to all areas of the engine. If your block drained blue then the thermostat opened.

Whats worse, after connecting the suction hose w/ the little piece in place the raw water pump wouldn't siphon antifreeze from the container (any ideas why?).

Shade... Did you covered or block the fresh water intake on the bottom of the hull?... the reason the Flush Pro didn't sucked the anti-freeze is because it was sucking air from some where... did you install the "umbrella" small check valve bypass plastic piece with the umbrella end up?... also I found out that some garden hose ends don't work as good as other, the male garden hose fitting has to be installed properly and all the way in so it will open the small check valve all the way.

Check out these two links...

Perko Flush Pro

Flush Pro Tip

Hope this will help.

Edited by BarefootOz

Shade... Did you covered or block the fresh water intake on the bottom of the hull?... the reason the Flush Pro didn't sucked the anti-freeze is because it was sucking air from some where... did you install the "umbrella" small check valve bypass plastic piece with the umbrella end up?... also I found out that some garden hose ends don't work as good as other, the male garden hose fitting has to be installed properly and all the way in so it will open the small check valve all the way.

Perko Flush Pro

Flush Pro Tip

Hope this will help.

I'm pretty sure I installed the umbrella, as you call it, correctly. I didn't close the ball valve at the raw water intake so maybe that was the problem. I thought the Flush Pro would eliminate the need to close off the raw water intake.

Thanks

Edited by shade

Perko Flush Pro

Flush Pro Tip

Hope this will help.

On the Flush Pro, if this is hooked into the fresh water intake, it looks like this devise might clog easy and reduce water flow. Is this a problem? Dontknow.gif

We have a lot of grass up here on certain times of the year and I could see it causing problems. I run the Fake-a-Lake on mine to clean out the water passages but the Flush Pro looks to be a slick system.

I didn't blow the water out of the heater lines. Do you guys think there is enough antifreeze in the heater for a Georgia winter or should I fire up the air compressor?

Thanks in advance.

Pull the heater hoses off the block. Blow into one end until the water comes out. (I can do this and I smoke a pack a day so you don't need the compressor) then take a funnel and pour antifreeze in the end until it comes out the other end. Leave them off until next season. I take the hoses and block connections off and leave the clamps and parts in a zip lock bag and poke a hole in the top and leave it on the throttle lever. This as worked here for 13 seasons so far. last year we had a low of -27 F.