Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Voltage--Perplexed

River Rat

Need some guideance...all of my dash gauges (PP, Lowrance, and analog) show my voltage between 11.5 and 12 during all RPM ranges. Concerned that the alternator was giving up the ghost, I measured the voltage coming off it and it reads 14.2. Solid. Taking a reading off the battery also gives a 14+ reading. Why would the gauges show a much lower voltage reading? Oh well, guess I don't need that alternator after all, but it would be nice to know what is causing the voltage drop at the helm.

Need some guideance...all of my dash gauges (PP, Lowrance, and analog) show my voltage between 11.5 and 12 during all RPM ranges. Concerned that the alternator was giving up the ghost, I measured the voltage coming off it and it reads 14.2. Solid. Taking a reading off the battery also gives a 14+ reading. Why would the gauges show a much lower voltage reading? Oh well, guess I don't need that alternator after all, but it would be nice to know what is causing the voltage drop at the helm.

It's common for there to be some voltage drop between the batt/alternator and the dash. Yours sounds a bit excessive though. I'd check the connections at the starter solenoid and all grounds on your engine block. Also check the connections on your ignition switch and all grounds to the dash. Reseating the canon plug is not a bad idea either.

I'd check the voltage with a multimeter at the back of gauge. Your gauge may just be inaccurate. Heaven knows the fuel gauges aren't accurate.

Edited by NorCaliBu

Each of the dash gauges show the reduced voltage so I am thinking it is in the dash wiring somewhere. I bet all the gauges pull off the same source...

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't had time to troubleshoot. I took the voltmeter out to the lake but I was having too much fun riding. Batteries show 14.3 volts when engine is running, all gauges show 10-12 volts. Everything is working normally so I'll troubleshoot next weekend. I'll start with cleaning all grounds on the engine and starter. I have a big tube of di-electric grease that I'll use too.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having too much fun boarding so I havent really dug into it. Here's something though, the new wires to my amps under the observers seat reads normal high voltage. The help reads normal when there is no load. As soon as I turn on the blower or anything else the voltage drops. I'll keep digging. I'm thinking a bad ground bus bar. I'll try a temporary new ground wire and see.

Tested voltage at the neg and pos distribution blocks. Gauges are reading accurately. Ran a new 4 gauge ground to distribution block and this helped a lot. Voltage reads 12.8-13.4 now (depending on load) instead of 10-12.5 volts. I will add a new positive cable to see if that helps. I think it's the 50 amp breaker or the wire coming from it.