Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Draining tranny cooling lines?

I finished up winterizing the boat a while ago but while doing so began to wonder about the lines that circulate water around the transmission. I haven't drained them before during winterization and they don't look like they're meant to be disconnected, but wouldn't there be water still in the lines and around the transmission? I haven't seen any mention of draining them in any winterization checklist, but was wondering...

I finished up winterizing the boat a while ago but while doing so began to wonder about the lines that circulate water around the transmission. I haven't drained them before during winterization and they don't look like they're meant to be disconnected, but wouldn't there be water still in the lines and around the transmission? I haven't seen any mention of draining them in any winterization checklist, but was wondering...

:Doh: Step away from the toolbox. Yes.gif:lol:

There is no water that circulates "around the transmission". Those smaller hydraulic lines you're seeing on the side of the tranny cooler (heat exchanger) are full of tranny fluid. Tranny fluid is pumped into that tube looking thing that catches all of the impeller pieces. Cool water runs through "straws" inside the cooler and reduces the temp of the fluid. The cooled ATF is then routed back to the transmission.

Do not disconnect those lines. No.gif

Edited by NorCaliBu

The tranny cooler "heat exchanger" does have a 1/8" pipe plug that you can remove and drain the water from the exchanger/water hoses. Maybe this is what he wants to do. Also you can remove one of the 1 1/4" water hoses from this heat exchanger and do the same thing.

Oops, my mistake! Oops.gif Just in looking at it I thought those lines circulated water around the transmission to cool it, not that they circulated hydraulic fluid. Thought it was a little funny that there didn't seem to be an easy way to disconnect and drain them. Glad I didn't take them apart! :thankyou: Thanks.