Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

05 VLX Heater?

vlx weazy

I have a 05 VLX with the factory heater that doesn't get vary warm evan though the motor is running normal temp. I was wondering if I could upgrade the heater hose to a bigger hose or change whare they tapped into the motor to get warmer water. I thougth I had read about this on a forum before but have not been able to find anything. Or can I upgrade the heater core to a larger one to get more warm air from it?

Is it just when you're idling that it doesn't get warm or all the time?

Its does warm up when you are running more rpm but it is still not that warm considering the motor runs around 160 deg. I think it runs around that temp. I am thinking of unhooking the return line and see how much water flow I am getting coming out of the heater!

Its does warm up when you are running more rpm but it is still not that warm considering the motor runs around 160 deg. I think it runs around that temp. I am thinking of unhooking the return line and see how much water flow I am getting coming out of the heater!

Check out this thread

It discusses the location of the "Y" fitting and what works best for the heater. You may want to check that it's not clogged as well. I know showers have a tendency to clog, don't know about heaters.

• 2 weeks later...

Pull the hose to the transmission cooler filter and check the screen for weeds. I get milfoil in about every two weeks. It never starves the engine, but as soon as the heater starts to cool, I know it is time to pull the milfoil out of the filter. Only takes about 30 seconds.

i don't think that is going to work because the 'return' line is the suction side.

it pulls the hot water from the block.

I have a 05 VLX with the factory heater that doesn't get vary warm evan though the motor is running normal temp. I was wondering if I could upgrade the heater hose to a bigger hose or change whare they tapped into the motor to get warmer water. I thougth I had read about this on a forum before but have not been able to find anything. Or can I upgrade the heater core to a larger one to get more warm air from it?

If your '05 is like mine, Malibu put the heater "Y" adapter on the wrong side of the pump. I troubleshot my heater problem for years until I figured out that Malibu put the Y on the oultet side of the raw water pump and it was buried in the right rear part of the engine compartment under 3 other hoses and I could never see it under there.

Long story short... I relocated the Y to the inlet side of the pump and it works great at all RPMs.

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you on this. I called Heater Craft and asked them about changing the Y tube location and they recommended installing a in line circulation pump. I finished installing it yesterday and wired in a relay to the heater fan switch so the pump comes on when you turn on the fan. It did come with a separate switch but I didn’t want to have another switch to worry about turning off. I ran the boat in the drive way last night and I had warm air at idle and is seemed to make a big difference and cant wait to get it out and try it on the lake! The customer service at Heater Craft was great!!! In the mean time I built a new Sub box and made a 1.5” X 10” long slot on the bottom for the heat to come out for the driver and I think it is going to work great for keeping your feet warm.