Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Upgrading Perfect Pass to Stargazer

Mino

My '05 Response still has the original Perfect Pass installed. It is the version before they went to the multiple line display. I am thinking about upgrading to Stargazer, but to do it, not only do I need to upgrade the Perfect Pass modual, but the display as well. So it is going to run between $600-$700 for the upgrade. I only use the boat on a small ski lake, with a very short set-up. Looking to get opinions on whether the upgrade is worth it, and how well the system works for short set-ups.

Thanks for the help.

if you are tournament rated and interested in chasing gold, go for it.

if it's just a tool to aid in the reduction of divorce then i would stick w pp.

i can have a pretty good time behind either but if you unleash stargazer then the pull is definitely different.

those times that i've had tugs behind stargazer -

half the crew - good pp skiers ~32 off at 34mph used the setting that emulates pp.

the other half (tourney bound big kids) ran the big kids settings.

if you swap between boats with and without stargazer i'm betting you will set the stargazer to feel like pp.

Edited by tvano

I have the latest stargazer in my Promo boat. LATEST VERSION.

If you are happy with your classic perfect pass, i'd keep it. Actually, i'd upgrade to the newest display/software w/o going to stargazer if they will let you do that.

The star gazer works well, but not sure i'd pay that to upgrade. Also, slower speed and quick setup = problems on that system in my experience. I am also a tournament driver. Its notorious for giving hot 1-3 ball times, and often overshoots pretty bad on slower speeds.

Only other advantage is the ability to only run one magnet at each entrance gate, no mid course magnets needed. And virtual timing for jump with only one start magnet. If you don't have magnet issues at your lake, stick with your classic unless the $ is burning a hole in your pocket.

You won't be disappointed with SG, but probably not worth the money.

Edited by dhcomp

I've had StarGazer for 2 years now and have found the system to work very well and worth the upgrade cost. You do need to spend some time fine turning all of the settings,but oned its dialed in the pull is great. Big pluses r\for me where the Practice Mode and how easy it is to change settings between skiers.

The upgrade will cost you closer to $800 with shipping.

The upgrade directly from PP is listed as $470-490 plus $200 for the multiline display gauge, total cost of $670-690+ shipping. If you are in/near a club, I would ask around to see if you can find any deals. Not sure if they do it on the upgrade package, but I got a nice discount some years ago when I installed the original PP.

Oh, also found skier to skier has it for about 10% off.

http://www.skiertoskier.com/index.html?page=/pphome.htm

Edited by Addictedto6

Are you talking about Zero Off or PP Stargazer?

mmmmm, now that you question it; i think it was sg.

could have been pp but i've had just a few too many brews to convince me that i'm correct.

i will try to remember to check and get back when i'm in better shape.

if you trailer to many courses sg has the ability to learn and archive multiple courses, too.

What? That is zero off. Stargazer does not memorize courses, it just starts on a single magnet at the start gates......

I have the latest stargazer in my Promo boat. LATEST VERSION.

If you are happy with your classic perfect pass, i'd keep it. Actually, i'd upgrade to the newest display/software w/o going to stargazer if they will let you do that.

The star gazer works well, but not sure i'd pay that to upgrade. Also, slower speed and quick setup = problems on that system in my experience. I am also a tournament driver. Its notorious for giving hot 1-3 ball times, and often overshoots pretty bad on slower speeds.

Only other advantage is the ability to only run one magnet at each entrance gate, no mid course magnets needed. And virtual timing for jump with only one start magnet. If you don't have magnet issues at your lake, stick with your classic unless the $ is burning a hole in your pocket.

You won't be disappointed with SG, but probably not worth the money.

I'm really surprised to see this much negative smack being talked about StarGazer. I've been running it for a year now and IMO it's pretty much the same feel pull as the old PP, PLUS it's way easier to use, definitely a hands-down better system than Classic PP both from the drivers seat (no more constant tweaking) AND from the end of the rope. Well worth the money IMO. You do have to invest some time in getting it tweaked out but once you do the times are always near perfect (within .02 at every segment consistantly) and the pull is user friendly soft. I thought the necessary fixes were common knowledge, apparently not. So...

Fix your hot times on 1 and 3 by lowering the pregate setting to around 20 (manual says 70 I think) then tweak your 3 ball times once you get the one ball right. Also to get it to settle in quickly on pull up and get good one ball times DO NOT OVERSHOOT THE BASELINE on pull up, especially at the slower speeds and especially with shorter setups. If you overshoot the baseline RPM on pullup it does take a bit to settle in properly. The GPS doesn't take over until 5 seconds after you begin to throttle up, if you mess with the throttle after 5 seconds it confuses the system causing it to take awhile to settle. If you overshoot the baseline it takes longer to settle back down. If you don't overshoot it settles right in. Same on turnarounds, don't screw with the throttle just let the system work. IF you do drop throttle on turnaround, again do not overshoot your baseline when you throttle back up and it settles right in.

Tweak your pregate setting down, then tweak 1 & 3, don't overshoot on pullup and you'll love your StarGazer.

Ed

Edited by ed obermeier