Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

No Driver, No Spotter, No Problem!

areamike

Cool. How do you steer it?

If he wanted the Sea-Doo to go right, he would ski out to the left basically pulling the back end of the Sea-Doo to the left, thus making it steer right, and vice-versa

Way cool but no way. To many things can go wrong. Did you notice what the woman on the dock was wearing? It must have been rather cold out there and worse in the water.

Yeah it was cold. Air was about 50. Water was about the same. And yes, something did go wrong. The next time he used it, the kill switch broke and he fell, while the sea-doo went barreling down the lake unmanned at 40+mph. It eventually stopped when it rammed into the back of a pontoon sitting on it's lift. 4000 dollars damage to the pontoon. Needless to say, that was the last run for that thing. The police that showed up to take a report of the incident thought it was really cool too, but said "we have to give you a ticket for something". They came back 2 days later and cited him with a ticket for "no observer". Luckily it was a time of year when there was no one else on the lake.

Yeah it was cold. Air was about 50. Water was about the same. And yes, something did go wrong. The next time he used it, the kill switch broke and he fell, while the sea-doo went barreling down the lake unmanned at 40+mph. It eventually stopped when it rammed into the back of a pontoon sitting on it's lift. 4000 dollars damage to the pontoon. Needless to say, that was the last run for that thing. The police that showed up to take a report of the incident thought it was really cool too, but said "we have to give you a ticket for something". They came back 2 days later and cited him with a ticket for "no observer". Luckily it was a time of year when there was no one else on the lake.

I was going to say something about how pissed I would be if I had my boat docked anywhere around there and I saw someone doing that!!

Some people have too much time on their hands. That is crazy. Funny end to the story - just glad no one got hurt.

this concept has been tested,,,,i'm not bright enough to attach the link,,,but "the ledger" winter haven florida

did an article for a karen scarpa in lakeland florida in 2004,,,search in the ledger ,,scarpa,lakeland,skiing

and you should find it,,,i know ive seen pics of it also,,,i'll try to find,,it has a 40' handle/leash control and

was just essentially the base of a seadoo, no seat, bars etc.,, was very sleek from what i remember

this concept has been tested,,,,i'm not bright enough to attach the link,,,but "the ledger" winter haven florida

did an article for a karen scarpa in lakeland florida in 2004,,,search in the ledger ,,scarpa,lakeland,skiing

and you should find it,,,i know ive seen pics of it also,,,i'll try to find,,it has a 40' handle/leash control and

was just essentially the base of a seadoo, no seat, bars etc.,, was very sleek from what i remember

Here's the LINK

LINK 2

Edited by RedOwl

The project to get the Solo out has ended at least 3 times that I know of. The guy was a crook & shanghaied funds from various investors, only to leave them out in the cold. Mike Murphy & Gerry Nunn were involved with the project. They had big problems with the wires in the rope / handle breaking after only a few rides. And the various disasters that happened.

A bunch of us went to a "release party" that they did at the Sammamish boat ramp in Issaquah one year. The owner of the MC dealer (at the time, there have been several) decided he wanted to do it. Doug's a pretty big guy, who liked to slalom on a single fat kid ski. He got up, accidentally held the thing in a hard right turn, and watched it turn right around & head straight up the ramp, flip over on it's top & over-rev it's engine till it died...... then deployed the skier down flag. Doug was still floating just off the boat ramp, watching in disbelief.

The companies' production supervisor is a guy who has worked with numerous Seattle boat dealers, including Bakes & Cope & McPhetres. We were at some event one time talking about what a major cluster*#^&$ it was working on it, and some guy happened to walk by & overhear enough to know what we were talking about. He asked if we knew the man in charge, or where he could find the guy. Come to find out he was one of the investors Robin had screwed & he wanted his money back or the guy's hyde.

You know, when he pointed out the kill switch at the start, I wondered if he had it set up in a fail-safe mode. (fails, and engine is killed). Guess not on that one. Not much of a kill switch at that point.

• 1 year later...