Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking to buy a Hydrofoil

MexTex

Looking to purchase a used Sky Ski hydrofoil. I have never ridden a hydrofoil in my life, I been riding wakeboards for about 5 years now and I’m looking for something different to do behind the boat. Which hydrofoil would you recommend? I would like a setup that I can use for a few years without the need to upgrade anything for a while. I was looking at the SS Pro ST…. any help would be much appreciated Thumbup.gif

By the way, what's the learning curve on a hydrofoil...does it take a while before you start learning to get air? From the looks of the videos on YouTube it looks like you don't even use the boats wake much at all, is this true?

lookie here Whistling.gif and its close, might be able to meet in the middle to pick it up. save on shipping.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/23502-air-chair-for-sale/

As far as the learning curve, I was up riding in one day but it took several trys!!, i gave up and got back in the boat once and then tried again and got it. The key for me that no body was telling me was to keep my knees tight together when getting up. I could get the thing up and to plane then just wobble like crazy and crash. after a few time getting up i was riding. It is a lot of fun but you have to stick with it for a while. It will take you longer to get comfortable on this then on the wakeboard for sure but it is very fun. The guy that Im selling this board for has a new one,(the only reason for selling this one) and he has only been riding one year and is doing back flips. he also wakebaords and cant do backflips on his wakeboard if that helps tell you anything.

Edited by txwakejunkie

Not trying to bust the sale but an A.C. stealth and a S.S. Pro ST are two way different foils.

I think $1K for the stealth is a bit too much even though it's pretty new.

If Mex is looking at the Pro ST already, and can find a used one for ~$1K I'd highly recommend that. You won't grow out of that any time soon, the stealth, you will.

Then, the first thing you need to buy is Cinch Max foot stays if it didn't already come with them. Oh yeah, and a helmet too.

Watch Ebay & http://www.foilforum.com for any used equipment for sale. It's pretty dead now days but will usually wind up a little around Christmas & again in the spring.

I'd recommend a SkySki Pro. Not sure you'd need the Shock Tower for a while. Just depends on how aggressive you are, how fast you learn & how good or bad your back is. Took me 4 days to get up & ride more than a few feet. Really chapped me too because everyone else was up & riding for days by the time I finally figured it out. 16 yrs later I'm still riding & pushin it as far as my 44 yr old butt will allow. I rode with the Shock tower for 7 or 8 yrs. And have been riding the Evo the last two...... love that Evo seat. I rode a lot this past year, and while I wasn't doing a lot of new tricks, I felt like my old ones were bigger than ever. Broke my first board they were so big. And yet that Evo kept my back in great shape.

I've seen guys do inverts their first day. And then other guy who don't get it till their 2nd or 3rd year. There is a LOT of talent near where you live. So lots of guys to sponge some skills from. How fast you progress will depend on how well you take the coaching.

I was in the same boat a couple of summers ago...getting bored with wakeboarding and not really wanting to ski so I bought a SS Pro S/T with an LE board. I was up and riding with some direction in a couple of tries. For me the pain was not worth the pleasure. I have broken my leg, arm and separated a rib wakeboarding but none of that compared to the beating I took trying to get good on a Sky Ski. I've been going to the Fly In for years at Tin Top and have always admired the people that can really ride. They make it look easy. The air is ridiculous but I couldn't get used to the "pile driver" effect from the 40 pound ski driving me 5 feet under water everytime I wrecked. You can throw a wakeboard anywhere and they don't require maintenance. That Sky Ski is an upholstery accident waiting to happen and keeping the foil shined up is a serious commitment. If you are going to get one make sure you are ready to commit to it because it isn't going to be easy at first and you will wreck like you never thought possible. It is fun, but I will stick to boarding.

I'm with Bill... Get a used SS Pro, preferably with a welded 2 piece t-bar. The key to learning is to ride with people that will teach and push you. Once you get addicted, prepare to open your walletSmile.gif

The one's talking bad about this sport and how hard it is need to come to North Carolina and ride with us old fart's club,we do yard dart's all the time.

we learn from the world famous KO,Jake Bradley,BJ,Travis & Misty,and the Black Family. we range from 6 yrs old to 65 yrs.old.

it's easy the boat doe's 90% of the work for you.

Now don't get those panties in a wad just having some fun!!!lol

It is very hard for most of us!!! but fun

Not trying to bust the sale but an A.C. stealth and a S.S. Pro ST are two way different foils.

I think $1K for the stealth is a bit too much even though it's pretty new.

If Mex is looking at the Pro ST already, and can find a used one for ~$1K I'd highly recommend that. You won't grow out of that any time soon, the stealth, you will.

Then, the first thing you need to buy is Cinch Max foot stays if it didn't already come with them. Oh yeah, and a helmet too.

I disagree about the Stealth. I have had one for about 10 years and still like it. I also recently bought a Sky Sky Launch with the 39 inch foil. I love my new Sky Ski but I think its harder to do tricks on then the Stealth. One other thing the Stealth will hold up to everyday abuse much better. I was riding the Sky Ski this past weekend and hit something under the water and it bent the leading edge of the wing. I have had this happen many times on my air chair and it has never bent the wing.

Wow, a foil rider gone back to wakeboard? Thats a first for me. Most of us came from other disciplines. I was a boarder for about 5 yrs. Usually guys turn to foils after their knees go & they can't board or ski as much. And it's very common for guys to get into foils, then want a new boat & spend way more time on the water.

I don't do many of the pile drivers any more. At some point we figured out how to land.... and more importantly, how NOT to land. Like DON'T push on your feet. Faceplants suck, no matter what you ride. And that if you get the foil under you, then you won't take such a beating. Since those revelations, things really got easier for us. Now days we have 10 yr old little girls who ride, men in their 60s, our wives, handicapped guys, etc. The sport is fun for a wide range of riders & can be as extreme as you want to take it. How many 40+ yr old guys have 5 or 6 different inverts on a wakeboard? Thats not really uncommon in the foil world.

Since the invention of the foil rack, and the foil cover, we have a lot less problems with foils cutting up the interior. My own circle of friends have a lot of newer boats, many of them Malibus. And I can only think of one that has any cuts in the upholstery..... and it's a 1995 MC! It's just a matter of establishing a routine to take care of your boat & gear.

Good luck in your search. Let us know if you need a hand hooking up with other riders in your area. This will really help your riding skills & help you find a source for used equipment.

I've got an extra SSProST that I don't ride very much. It has the red anodized tower, CinchMax Foot Stays, cast foil, shock pump and I think that one has the stock belt. (I can check) Ride it here at the house if you want to test it out.

PM if interested.

Ronnie

post-5-12581372226068_thumb.jpg

e-mail this guy he has lot't of used stuff [email protected]

Good to see the 07-vride crew on here! See you guys at Belew's this weekend.

you can also get in touch with Jake here:

http://www.velocitywatersports.net/contact/contact.htm

Lonnie from Cinchmax is selling two Pro SS skis also:

http://www.foilforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2866

Snowpux-

the second link is not working for me. Dontknow.gif

hmm.....it seems as if foil forum is having some issues right now. It worked earlier Dontknow.gif

It works now! Must have been some temp issues going on. Thumbup.gif

Edited by snowpunx08

yep, I got in...thanks. Thumbup.gif

My wife and I tried the foil (SkySki) a little while ago. Although we couldn't get up we really had a blast trying. I'm on the lookout for a used one (hopefully locally...I can't imagine the shipping cost on one of those things).

Thanks for the links.

yep, I got in...thanks. Thumbup.gif

My wife and I tried the foil (SkySki) a little while ago. Although we couldn't get up we really had a blast trying. I'm on the lookout for a used one (hopefully locally...I can't imagine the shipping cost on one of those things).

Thanks for the links.

Most (legal) fun I've had on the water in a long time. I gave up wakeboarding completely and removed the racks from my boat.

Most (legal) fun I've had on the water in a long time. I gave up wakeboarding completely and removed the racks from my boat.

Almost same here.

I hardly wake board anymore.

• 2 weeks later...