Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

underwater led location

badluck

So Christmas came early. Bakes delivery showed up with my transom leds 2 of the (9 lights). Can anyone get me dimensions from the center of the rub rail to center of the led and center spacing between them? 07 vlx Thanks

So Christmas came early. Bakes delivery showed up with my transom leds 2 of the (9 lights). Can anyone get me dimensions from the center of the rub rail to center of the led and center spacing between them? 07 vlx Thanks

I wouldn't measure that way myself. I would put them in between the bolts for the swim platform 1" to the edge of the light outside the bracket. Scroll down to the pictures I took of mine. I would actually put them just a tad lower if I had the chance to do it over again. I would put them even with the lower bolt for the platform bracket.

I wouldn't measure that way myself. I would put them in between the bolts for the swim platform 1" to the edge of the light outside the bracket. Scroll down to the pictures I took of mine. I would actually put them just a tad lower if I had the chance to do it over again. I would put them even with the lower bolt for the platform bracket.

http://www.themalibu...erwater-lights/

Is there a reason you wanted them lower? I will be installing mine soon.

So what's a set of those going for these days?/

Is there a reason you wanted them lower? I will be installing mine soon.

Yes on my boat they are barely in the water unless the rear ballast is full or I have a couple people sitting in the back. Just personall preference you should put them just below the waterline without weight in the rear of the boat. The swim platform rests just ontop of the water unweighted on everyboat I've seen. I think putting them even with the bottom bolt bolt is about perfect. With one set of lights I meant purt them on the inside of the platform bracket towards the wedge. Just make sure they aren't behind the wedge.

Edit: You can always tell when I respond via blackberry LOL...

Edited by 06vlx

I installed my lights next to the upper bolts for the swim platform. They are very bright, and work great.

Remember if you go to low, you will have to open up the floor panels.

post-81-12580411508687_thumb.jpg

Edited by jeffmx

thanks guy's. I think I might be pulling the floor panel. I s it just screwed down? If so, How many ?

The floor panel will be screwed down on the engine side of the panel only, not towards the hull. You'll have to take the engine panels out and you should be able to see where it's screwed in.

The boat has interior leds and back by the transom on both sides there are sets of connectors. I turned on the lights and they had power.

I found the same thing when i did mine a few months ago. Was nice all I needed to do was run the wires to the connectors and crimp.

*****One point to note. Your brackets for your swim platform are NOT exactly vertical. At least mine are not (08 VTX). I had it all set up with a square and was about to start drilling and noticed it, with the drill in hand and about to start pushing. I ended up having to eyeball it as there was no good way to get a true level.

Also start the hole with a drill bit 2 sizes bigger then the screw and run it backwards till you have about a 1/8 - 1/4 inch hole. Enough to get through the gel coat. that way the stress of the screws will not cause spider cracks.

The boat has interior leds and back by the transom on both sides there are sets of connectors. I turned on the lights and they had power.

I noticed that on mine to but wasn't sure if they were hooked up. I ended up splicing into the LED wires back there :blush: .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The picture below is from an 06 247 lsv do you think these are for LED's? They are right next to the LED in the compartment. I would also like to know where you got your transom LED's.

How many LED's can you have on one circuit? the interior on the boat lights up pretty good when I hit the switch.

What is the best switch to have transom lights connected to? Docking lights, Nav lights, panel lights, or interior lights?

Thanks.

I noticed that on mine to but wasn't sure if they were hooked up. I ended up splicing into the LED wires back there :blush: .

post-7655-125997268663_thumb.jpg

On my 08 VTX I got them from the factory and they come on with the interior lights. The interior lights have a three stage dimmer and they dim as well.

Why would you want to dim your underwater LED's?