Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Customers Malibu Boat stolen and stripped

Bake's Marine

Does anyone else sense a circular effect with this? Especially since the theft looks fairly clean (no ripped stuff like they were yanking stuff out of the boat). Steal a boat and strip everything it has. Wait for insurance or owner to write off the boat and sell the remaining "boat". Purchase the "theft recovery" for minimal cost. Put all the crap you stole off the boat right back on. Seems like a total circular effect. Heck you could even do it with multiple boats if they are the same platform. If anyone out there is buying salvaged or used boats that were former theft recoveries you should ask to see receipts for the items installed. Even then the criminal could falsify the receipts but regardless I could see someone doing this very thing and making a lot of money. The only exposure is the initial theft, then its all gravy.

Nononono it's really bad, they saws-alled the dash, the broke the rear lean back in half, pried panels off with a crowbar, when they stole the fuel tank they must have pour the fuel out because all the carpet is lifting up now. It's really bad, there is nothing left and what ever is left is damaged

-Paul

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bake's Marine

• Bobby Light

• NorCaliBu

• MalibuTime

Nononono it's really bad, they saws-alled the dash, the broke the rear lean back in half, pried panels off with a crowbar, when they stole the fuel tank they must have pour the fuel out because all the carpet is lifting up now. It's really bad, there is nothing left and what ever is left is damaged

-Paul

Why not steal the whole boat and sell that? Nathan's friend from Craig's list will buy it for sure.

Wow, I have never heard of a boat getting stripped. The noise and effort to get all this stuff out including the engine makes me think it was inside somewhere. I just don't see the advantage of this much trouble for boat parts to make someone risk this amount of legal trouble? There are much easier targets and wider demand for other stuff so my thoughts is that someone needed boat parts or knows the boat business in order to get rid of these quickly and quietly.

My first thought was someone is in trouble at a boat repair place and needed the parts because they had already spent the customer's money to stay afloat. But that just seems too risky.

Was this stolen from this customer's home or from the dealer's lot? I assume you guys have the serial numbers for the motor.

Wow, I have never heard of a boat getting stripped. The noise and effort to get all this stuff out including the engine makes me think it was inside somewhere. I just don't see the advantage of this much trouble for boat parts to make someone risk this amount of legal trouble? There are much easier targets and wider demand for other stuff so my thoughts is that someone needed boat parts or knows the boat business in order to get rid of these quickly and quietly.

My first thought was someone is in trouble at a boat repair place and needed the parts because they had already spent the customer's money to stay afloat. But that just seems too risky.

Was this stolen from this customer's home or from the dealer's lot? I assume you guys have the serial numbers for the motor.

Good point, what is the serial number of the engine? Do any of the other parts that were stolen have serial numbers? perfect pass?

So..... are we all learning something from this?

If anybody, and I mean anybody, ever asks if we want to buy anything, and I mean anything.... real cheap. Our answer should be a very loud NO! If somebody is trying to sell stuff real cheap ("too good to be true" = probably is TOO good to be legal)....then we're contributing to the world of rip-off thefts.

Hits home because this story is about a gutted RLXi.... but the same story should hold for anything.

If you buy "hot stuff" at a deal, you're just creating the "marketplace" for hot stuff. No market = less opportunity for thieves to be incented to do the dirty deeds.

Whether its Malibu parts or cheap DVD's. Same thing.

I agree, I hope they catch the folks responsible.

Edited by doughickey

Just looking at that makes me sick to my stomach. I'm not sure how I'd react to that if it were mine. Hopefully the jerks are caught and punished. Mad.gif

I went and personally looked at this boat today. This boat is so messed up it's not even worth fixing IMO. They damaged everything on the boat and were not carefull at all.

everything that was stolen would have been ruined if the same boat had sank. check with the local marine patrol or salvage companies to see if a similar boat went down. i will bet the house thats what happened.

Joe

If anybody, and I mean anybody, ever asks if we want to buy anything, and I mean anything.... real cheap. Our answer should be a very loud NO! If somebody is trying to sell stuff real cheap ("too good to be true" = probably is TOO good to be legal)....then we're contributing to the world of rip-off thefts.

When I still lived in So Cal every now and then two seedy looking characters would pull up next to you at a light or in a parking lot and try to sell you stereo equipment out of their mini-van. One time it happened and I said "no" and then I noticed in my side-view mirror that a cop had pulled up behind them. When the light turned green I didn't go, I waited for the cop to get up next to me, I got his attention and told him that the guys in the mini-van had just tried to sell me stolen stereo equipment. He smiled, said thanks, and took off after them. Pulled them over 2 blocks later and had them out of the vehicle. :lol:Thumbup.gif

When I still lived in So Cal every now and then two seedy looking characters would pull up next to you at a light or in a parking lot and try to sell you stereo equipment out of their mini-van. One time it happened and I said "no" and then I noticed in my side-view mirror that a cop had pulled up behind them. When the light turned green I didn't go, I waited for the cop to get up next to me, I got his attention and told him that the guys in the mini-van had just tried to sell me stolen stereo equipment. He smiled, said thanks, and took off after them. Pulled them over 2 blocks later and had them out of the vehicle. :lol:Thumbup.gif

Right on! Even better than just saying "no".

Be aware this is becoming a common problem with boats. I am a police officer in a large city in the Bay Area (CA) and we are getting more and more boats stolen every day. Keep everything that you can locked up and your boat stored inside. Motors are going like hot cakes and interior parts are not far behind. Protect yourselves and you BU!!

Good luck finding your stuff.

The customer had it stored In a underground garage at his place of business. We do have all the serial numbers, I notified Indmar and Malibu that the boat was stolen and stripped so if those serial numbers pop up anywhere they will know that is stolen equipment.

Good point, what is the serial number of the engine? Do any of the other parts that were stolen have serial numbers? perfect pass?

I'm not sure if posting serial numbers is a good idea to post up, Perfect pass would but the boat was not equipped. The stereo is serialized too but that would be in the owners original paperwork /owners packet if he still has it.

everything that was stolen would have been ruined if the same boat had sank. check with the local marine patrol or salvage companies to see if a similar boat went down. i will bet the house thats what happened.

Joe

It's really weird how this boat was stripped like that, I agree that they are possibly re-building another boat. Especially since they took stuff like, controls, wiring harness, fuel tank, seats, etc...

The Sheriff is "looking into that" so hopefully they get tracked down that way.

-Paul

So..... are we all learning something from this?

Hits home because this story is about a gutted RLXi.... but the same story should hold for anything.

If you buy "hot stuff" at a deal, you're just creating the "marketplace" for hot stuff. No market = less opportunity for thieves to be incented to do the dirty deeds.

Whether its Malibu parts or cheap DVD's. Same thing.

I agree, I hope they catch the folks responsible.

Couldn't agree with you more!

-Paul

thats nothing to what happens over here in australia at the moment, 2 wakeboard school malibus got stolen the first one was a vlx and was stolen late last year, hasnt turned up yet

http://www.wake.com.au/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=22412&highlight=

then another wakeboard school"board m" was stolen in january and they found it last month burnt to the ground,

this is what it looked like when it was

http://www.wake.com.au/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=25025&highlight=

and now

http://www.wake.com.au/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=27048&highlight=stolen

then a 09 vtx was stolen from someones driveway 2 months ago, hasnt turned up

http://www.wake.com.au/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=26975&highlight=stolen

a 08 lxi was stolen last month

http://www.wake.com.au/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=27069

• 3 months later...

Sorry to bring up such a old subject but if you really want to see how bad this boat was or you want to buy it check this out.

Well, it still has the pop up cleats and stainless malibu logo.

So I found the engine and running gear for this boat on Craigslist locally. I contacted Bakes who then contacted the Sheriff and insurance company, they wouldn't do anything about it. They didn't care at all Dontknow.gif .

So I found the engine and running gear for this boat on Craigslist locally. I contacted Bakes who then contacted the Sheriff and insurance company, they wouldn't do anything about it. They didn't care at all Dontknow.gif .

Seriously?? I can't believe they wouldn't do anything about it. Sheriff/Police probably too busy installing red light cameras. It's all about revenue these days rather than upholding the law (in my opinion)

We could get a group together and go take care of this ourselves. Except we would end up in more trouble than the perpetrators. Dontknow.gif

Todays laws suck!!

Edited by CRASH

I don't understand this at all. Why wouldn't the Sheriff pursue this theft?