Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ZF Hurth Transmission Problem

A problem with my ZF Hurth this weeend almost lead to a bigger problem. On the last run of the day I noticed a delay when shifting into reverse. The throttle would rise before it would shift into reverse. I figured the linkage had slipped a little bit, as I've had to adjust the linage in the past. However when I was pulling into the dock at the boat launch I pulled the boat out of forward and then into reverse. The boat never shifted out of forward and when I gave it a little throttle in reverse I realised I was giving forward thrust. I quickly killed the engine and jumped over the windshield in time to stop the boat inches before the non skid cement boat ramp. I had a problem getting it into nuetral to start it in the driveway and ended up pulling apart the neutral safety switch and getting it to work again. I think maybe the ball was stuck. I disconnected the linkage and started the engine. I then attempted to shift the transmission directly from the lever on the port side of the engine. It will go into forward ok. It has a problem going into reverse, but when I move the lever back towards nuetral from reverse the transmission goes into forward. I changed the fluid and have made sure it's right at the top mark after shifting and then shutting down the engine. If anyone has any idea what this could be I'd really appreciate some advice. Thank you!

That was exactly it! I didn't even notice the clamp on the bottom and that they were 2 seperate pieces. I coat the engine in T-9 regularly so I think maybe that was helping it slip. Thanks for the help!