Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ZF 45 IV Transmission

I cannot find my ZF 45 IV transmission manual anywhere and I was wondering if someone could tell me how to check the filter and drain the fluid on this type of transmission? Thanks for you help. Thumbup.gif

Don't have my manual handy (I don't have a Vdrive anyway) but it would be very odd that you need to do any servicing to the filter. To change fluid, run a suction pump (there are many styles) down the dipstick hole and just suck out as much as you can. You will probably get out about 1-1.5 quarts. You should have a sticker next to dip stick but almost certainly your tranny requires dexron III/mercon (red) ATF. That is becoming harder to find. It is my UNDERSTANDING that thats just because standards have gotten higher and that the modern "red" ATF is fine.

Good question MexTex. I have the same transmission. I also have the 'owners' manual, but it doesn't give a very good description on how to do it. I sent an email to Discount Inboard Marine to see if they have something. I'll keep you posted. In the mean time, if somebody else has drained the fluid and removed/replaced the filter, sure would like to hear how to do it and what to watch out for.

I've changed the fluids. Here's my approach:

Using a fluid extractor pump (I use a Moeller), suck the tranny fluid out of the main unit.

Once you're to the point that you can't get any more fluid out, decant the tranny fluid,

using a funnel, into a clean and dry 2L empty bottle of Coke. Once it settles, mark the

level with a Sharpie pen. Then, pour the old tranny fluid into a second 2L empty bottle.

Pour your new ATF into the first bottle until it comes up to the mark that you made with

the Sharpie pen. Then, pour the new ATF into the main unit. Your done.

The v-drive unit will be more difficult, or at least it has been for me, requiring re-

positioning of the extractor hose multiple times. It seems that each time, I cannot get

more than 50 ml or so out before I start sucking air and have to snake the hose into another

corner. The good news is that the v-drive has a much smaller volume of ATF to remove.

I repeat the procedure above, using the Coke bottles and the Sharpie pen, so I add back

to the v-drive unit the exact volume that I extract.

As far as checking the filter, I have no first-hand experience. I am under the impression

that this is one of those maintenance items that, like greasing the starter bendix, is always

listed but rarely, if ever, actually performed (I'm certain my dealership doesn't do it). I'm

almost certain I've read somewhere that those that actually have performed this step have

always found theirs to be clean-as-a-whistle, and each time it's done, they run the risk of not

getting an adequate seal on re-installation (?). FWIW, I just skip this step.

• 9 years later...

Hey guys,

I have few problems with my 24mxz wakesetter.

I poured new fluid but didn't change the filter.

Should I have to change the aswel or just blow it out with the airgun compressor.

Would really appreciate your help.

FWIW, I just finished the 13th season with my boat.

I tend towards being OCD, and I once worried about the manual's requirement (mine, at least) that "[t]he filter element must be checked whenever the fluid is changed (note: it doesn't say that the element must be changed)."

Back then, I also remember reading, on this site in fact, about the rare owner who actually did manage to do whatever needed to be done to check that filter.  The conclusion that I inferred at the time was:   a) the filter was clean as a whistle, and b) the process of checking that filter, loosening and then re-tightening the bolts, invariably induced a leak forevermore.

Bottom line:  I've never done it, and I've never had a problem not doing it.  YMMV.

Early on I would pull the filter, always clean.  Now I just do a fluid exchange every three or four years. Still overkill, fluid looks like new.