Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesetter VLX X5

newguy

HI all, thanks for all the input. While I feel the X5 would be sufficient to pull the boat to the ramp (1/2 mile away) I decided to go with a larger vehicle in case we decide to take a longer trip plus the extra interior room will be valuable.

No I do understand what I am saying is it doesn't have anything to do with towing because when you start talking about towing there are other factors that come into play. If you max your GVWR and max your towing capacity then you are over your CGVWR many times. If you add your max GVWR and your max towing capacity it is usually over the CGVWR for truck and trailer. For example 7000 lb GVWR truck with a stated 8000 lb towing capacity could have a max CGVWR of only 13000 lbs instead of the 15000 lbs the two numbers add up to. This is where the balanced load become really important.

I agree with everything you're saying, I'm simply clarifying that in an independent rear suspension vehicle, the GVWR can easily be exceeded WITHOUT the GCVWR being exceeded. In other words, a full X5may only be able to safely handle 100 pounds of tongue weight thus making the GCVWR irrelevant. That scenario would not occur in a rear-axled vehicle.

HI all, thanks for all the input. While I feel the X5 would be sufficient to pull the boat to the ramp (1/2 mile away) I decided to go with a larger vehicle in case we decide to take a longer trip plus the extra interior room will be valuable.

Good call. Let us know what you end up with & how it works for you.

Good call. Let us know what you end up with & how it works for you.

wakegirl, i've narrowed it down to the GL450 (mercedes) and the Sequoia (toyota). i like the overall look of the mercedes better but the sequoia has a couple more options and is probably the better towing vehicle. not sure if the bigger sequoia is a plus or minus - plus on long trips, minus on every day driving.

wakegirl, i've narrowed it down to the GL450 (mercedes) and the Sequoia (toyota). i like the overall look of the mercedes better but the sequoia has a couple more options and is probably the better towing vehicle. not sure if the bigger sequoia is a plus or minus - plus on long trips, minus on every day driving.

What's the tow rating on the Mercedes? Just curious to see how it compares with the other Euro SUVs.

What's the tow rating on the Mercedes? Just curious to see how it compares with the other Euro SUVs.

Hauling Sequoia GL-Class

Max. Cargo Capacity 120 cu. ft. 83 cu. ft.

Max. Payload Capacity 1235 lbs. 1598 lbs.

Max. Towing Capacity 8800 lbs. 7500 lbs.

Pretty decent. When we test drove the Touareg, our salesman (we've known for a long time) let us take the rig & hook up the boat to drive it around to see how it would actually perform. Not sure if that will be an option with the person that you'll be working with, but you might ask.