Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bow Ballast-One last time!!

Ndawg12

So I've talked about this several times, but now I actually bought the sacs. I cheaped out a little bit on them but I'm hoping the crew can come through and give me some suggestions to integrate these. This is what I bought:

post-8316-1257801528373_thumb.jpg

Aerial 3.5 Ballast Bag

Aerial 3.5 Ballast Bags are an easy way to greatly enhance the size of your wake for wakeboarding or wakesurfing. A single bag adds 350 pounds of ballast. Two bags adds 700 pounds.

Aerial Ballast Bags are mildew and bleed resistant bladders made of heavy duty, 30 gauge PVC to withstand the rigors of boating.

The bag features spring-loaded valves so that the pump’s nozzle opens up during both filling and draining, but left alone, it keeps an air and water tight seal. No more water shooting into the boat -- just unlock the hose and you’re ready to ride. Comes standard with two valves for fast filling and draining.

For maximum wake, position the two ballast bags to evenly distribute the load capacity around the boat.

Product Features

• Heavy duty 30 gauge PVC bladder

• Cylindrical shape for weight maximization, 54" long x 16" in diameter

• Vinyl straps for repositioning bags

• Two valves for cleaner filling and draining

• Includes (2) single bag's (350 pounds each when filled)

• List Price: $199.00

Some how I will manifold them together and they will have their own fill and drain pump. What do I need to be concerned with??

Wow, the crickets are chirping, I understand, I've asked these questions plenty of times in the past and you all are probably sick of them, but I've got bags on my doorstep right now so I promise I'm doing it this time!! Thumbup.gif

My main concern is where the ports are located on these bags. If I face the ports down will they still fill and drain properly without a vent. I realize I may have to burp them from time to time. But while filling, once they are full do you think they will push past the drain pump and out the overfill/drain vent? I'm concerned about this since both ports will be under the bag when it's full.

Wow, the crickets are chirping, I understand, I've asked these questions plenty of times in the past and you all are probably sick of them, but I've got bags on my doorstep right now so I promise I'm doing it this time!! Thumbup.gif

My main concern is where the ports are located on these bags. If I face the ports down will they still fill and drain properly without a vent. I realize I may have to burp them from time to time. But while filling, once they are full do you think they will push past the drain pump and out the overfill/drain vent? I'm concerned about this since both ports will be under the bag when it's full.

Putting the ports under the bag will work but they will take a long time to fill. also you will need to loop your lines higher than the bag or the will auto fill/ drain.

Putting the ports under the bag will work but they will take a long time to fill. also you will need to loop your lines higher than the bag or the will auto fill/ drain.

Thanks LJ, that's what I wanted to hear, I'll have to wait for the 750's to fill so that's no big deal. I've got the loops in my diagram, so I guess I'm good to go!! Thumbup.gif

• 2 weeks later...

If you're using aerator pumps put the fitting facing down (as John mentioned). The other issue you'll have is making your connection to the bags, since they use the older style perfect union connector. what size hose are you using?

If you're using aerator pumps put the fitting facing down (as John mentioned). The other issue you'll have is making your connection to the bags, since they use the older style perfect union connector. what size hose are you using?

I am officially done posting about bow ballast. I swore to everyone that I was going to do it and stop bothering you all with questions, I had a parts list all ready to go to be ordered before xmas, and then my career got turned upside down, so I will be manually filling the bow this year. But I will need connections to the 750's that I'm putting in the rear since I removed my hard tanks. I'm just not sure what bags I'll end up with, I need something used and it appears everything is the older fly high stuff with the waterbed valves. Does anyone know when fly-high came out with with the rectangular 750's (20x20x50). People have offered me the older 20" round by 50" bags with the 2 waterbed valves on them. My calculations suggest those are actually only 560lbs or so...???

Sorry to hear about the unexpected changes, hopefully things get sorted out in the near future.

The 50x20x20 has always been a Pro X Series bag with the new fittings. Any 20" Diameter x 50" Long bag is an old one with Perfect Unions. We've got some blem stuff that may be closer to your price range once you factor in your 'Crew discount. Let me know if that interests you at all.