Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

383 hammerhead or 340 monsoon

pablo

I am looking at buying an 07 vlx. Would a hammerhead make sense or is the 340 fine. Looking at two boats equal other than the difference in engine size.What are some of the pros and cons of both engines. Thanks.

Here we go again!!! I'll be the first to add my 2 pennies. The Monsoon has all the power I would ever need and I could reprop if for some reason I needed more low-end. What are you planning on doing with the boat, wakeboarding, surfing, cruising, etc...?

Edited by Ndawg12

That was quick. I would be using the boat for surfing and wakeboarding. I will be weighting the boat with additional ballast on top of stock. Is there anywhere that shows the specs on the engines. I dont care so much about top end speed or power. I just want more low end power and torque.

That was quick. I would be using the boat for surfing and wakeboarding. I will be weighting the boat with additional ballast on top of stock. Is there anywhere that shows the specs on the engines. I dont care so much about top end speed or power. I just want more low end power and torque.

The Monsoon is 340 hp and 398 lb torque. The HH is 400 hp and 420 lb torque. I've had both and the monsoon is more than adequate in the vlx repropped. I now have the HH in my 23 and it definitely pulls harder and runs lower rpm's. I loaded the boat up with 4K ballast the last time we went out this summer. I was running 11.8-12mph and turning 2600 rpm with the ACME 537. I ran the ACME 1235 on the Monsoon and it had plenty of torque but was running up over 3000 rpm at 10.5 mph with way less weight (about 2000 lbs).

In short the HH doesn't have to work as hard and I didn't have to reprop the boat for surfing. Both are great motors and you can't go wrong either way. While some have had issues with the HH (mine has been perfect)the Monsoon is a bullet proof motor.

Edited by 06vlx

Thanks 06 vlx and ndawg. That was crazy fast. What problems have people experienced with the hammerhead? It doesnt look like the hammerhead gives that much more torque.

Thanks 06 vlx and ndawg. That was crazy fast. What problems have people experienced with the hammerhead? It doesnt look like the hammerhead gives that much more torque.

Some motors have burned oil or had low oil pressure. If the motor hasn't had any issues it probably won't. Most problems occured very early in the HH. You're right it doesn't seem to produce alot more torque but it is noticeable especially when weighted. One major difference I noticed in the two motors is that the HH never quits pulling where as the Monsoon seemed to have it's limits.

Like I said earlier both are great engines and you really can't go wrong either way. If you were talking about a 23 I'd say for sure to get the HH.

Edited by 06vlx

I am sure this has probably been beat to death on this board but being a newbie I am glad people replied. Like the original poster I am looking at buying my first Malibu and one of the VLX's I am looking at that I really like has a hammerhead and I almost considered it a negative because I know so little about them, even though I like everything else about the boat. Very interested in the opinions on this thread, thanks,

I am sure this has probably been beat to death on this board but being a newbie I am glad people replied. Like the original poster I am looking at buying my first Malibu and one of the VLX's I am looking at that I really like has a hammerhead and I almost considered it a negative because I know so little about them, even though I like everything else about the boat. Very interested in the opinions on this thread, thanks,

I would not shy away from that motor. Get service records and if it doesn't have any issues it probably never will.

I would not shy away from that motor. Get service records and if it doesn't have any issues it probably never will.

Spoke with his dealer/mechanic evidently they switched to running 40w oil in it and it has no problems. with standard oil I think it had oil pressure issues. Is that the standard fix with a hammerhead?

Spoke with his dealer/mechanic evidently they switched to running 40w oil in it and it has no problems. with standard oil I think it had oil pressure issues. Is that the standard fix with a hammerhead?

A lot of dealers did that. If all else is good I'd say it will be fine. Make sure it has the new dipstick from indmar which allows for an additional quart of oil in the engine.

First read this post. Secondly if you like to run open lakes, with long drives to your ride spot the HH maybe a better option. I've got the 340 but I've driven the HH in the same boat, properly propped really not a big difference imho. In the end it's not necessary, but the stock prop (Acme 537) imho needs to be changed to a Acme 1235 or OJ 475 or the best OJ 468, but it'll suck some gas but the whole shot is sweet loaded up. The stock prop will work and give you top end but the out of the hole it takes a bit, but won't hurt a rider getting up. Drive them both loaded up and see if the extra $$ is worth it to you.

First read this post. Secondly if you like to run open lakes, with long drives to your ride spot the HH maybe a better option. I've got the 340 but I've driven the HH in the same boat, properly propped really not a big difference imho. In the end it's not necessary, but the stock prop (Acme 537) imho needs to be changed to a Acme 1235 or OJ 475 or the best OJ 468, but it'll suck some gas but the whole shot is sweet loaded up. The stock prop will work and give you top end but the out of the hole it takes a bit, but won't hurt a rider getting up. Drive them both loaded up and see if the extra $$ is worth it to you.

I have test driven 5 or 6 340's but have not driven the hammerhead. I probably mis spoke, I am looking at used boats, the hammerhead boat will not cost me more, it is priced the same and actually has lower hours. I just havent driven it and I dont know the engine at all. I plan to drive it soon. I dont need for the HH to be better, I just want it to be equal all things considered. I have a lake house and the run to my spot isnt all that long, I wouldnt mind going fast every once in a while but my kids arent that old, I have been 55 in a bass boat, I would never do that with my kids in the boat. Thanks for all the help, I definately will drive it now before I make a decision.

As long as it's an '05 or newer. Older than that, the HH is a completely different motor with a completely different set of problems. Not sure what year Taylor is talking about since it isn't specified anywhere in his posts.

One other thing....the 383s that had problems, they usually showed up early as 06 stated, but the thing that hasn't been mentioned is that many of them were never able to cure those problems. The "fix" was to run straight 40 or 50w oil, & to use a shorter dipstick (more oil in the block). That didn't do a thing for the motors that burn oil though, & I personally know of a few with the low oil pressure problems that it never cured. Myself, I never had any problems & it was a great motor, but you should be aware that it could be an issue.

I have test driven 5 or 6 340's but have not driven the hammerhead. I probably mis spoke, I am looking at used boats, the hammerhead boat will not cost me more, it is priced the same and actually has lower hours. I just havent driven it and I dont know the engine at all. I plan to drive it soon. I dont need for the HH to be better, I just want it to be equal all things considered. I have a lake house and the run to my spot isnt all that long, I wouldnt mind going fast every once in a while but my kids arent that old, I have been 55 in a bass boat, I would never do that with my kids in the boat. Thanks for all the help, I definately will drive it now before I make a decision.

You won't set any speed records with either engine, they're stump pullers.

As long as it's an '05 or newer. Older than that, the HH is a completely different motor with a completely different set of problems. Not sure what year Taylor is talking about since it isn't specified anywhere in his posts.

One other thing....the 383s that had problems, they usually showed up early as 06 stated, but the thing that hasn't been mentioned is that many of them were never able to cure those problems. The "fix" was to run straight 40 or 50w oil, & to use a shorter dipstick (more oil in the block). That didn't do a thing for the motors that burn oil though, & I personally know of a few with the low oil pressure problems that it never cured. Myself, I never had any problems & it was a great motor, but you should be aware that it could be an issue.

Should have mentioned, it is an 05. I have only looked at 05's and 06's

No problem, it's just that most people don't realize that there is a difference since the name is the same. '04 & earlier the HH was a hopped up 350ci, with a totally different powerband. As I mentioned, it had its own set of problems that were much different than the 383 stroker that came out in '05.

Anyway, it's unlikely that you'll feel a huge difference between the motors without ballast. The difference comes as you load it down, the HH just doesn't work nearly as hard.