Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

black residue on fiberglass platform

I have a fiberglass platform with a black rubber mat on the top. I'm getting a black residue on the platform which tracks into the boat. I'm assuming the residue is from the exhaust. Is this normal? Has anyone else had this problem? Would this still be a problem with a teak platform? Thanks

Dontknow.gif

hmm, I would think it is from the black mat on the platform. Have you rubbed the black mat on the platform with your hand to see if it is giving off the residue.

As far as exhaust goes. I get a little bit of exhaust residue on my transom area over time, but nothing significant, and nothing that is tracked into the boat. I would bet it is the black mat.

We had this problem when we first got our boat. It is coming from the mat. We bought our boat in eastern oregon so my theory was uv rays were breaking it down.....when we got it over to the west side of the mountain (less intense sun) the problem only lasted for a little while then went away completely.

Common problem. I've heard some guys have cleaned the mat & the residue went away. But the guys I know who had it just replaced the mat with Gator Grip. But this product is going away so it won't be an option for long.

Yep, common problem as others have stated. Clean it good with hot soapy water and a scrub brush, rinse and let it dry completely.

Spray 303 protectant on it, let it soak in for a bit and buff it off with a clean dry towel.

It will be slipery for the first time out but is fine thereafter. I do it once a year and haven't had any black residue issues since doing this for the last 3 years, no need to replace since this is so easy and cheap!

Yep, common problem as others have stated. Clean it good with hot soapy water and a scrub brush, rinse and let it dry completely.

Spray 303 protectant on it, let it soak in for a bit and buff it off with a clean dry towel.

It will be slipery for the first time out but is fine thereafter. I do it once a year and haven't had any black residue issues since doing this for the last 3 years, no need to replace since this is so easy and cheap!

Agreed, had the same problem. 303 it and you will be fine.