Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

draining ski locker

greenworks

Our ski locker is terrible for not draining, we have a 400 lb ballast bag with pumps in there and it always has 1" of water in there. I was thinking of putting in a drain pplug like the one in the engine area so I can easily dump water in the shop at home. I was also thinking of maybe a 2nd bilde pump might work as well? thoughts

Tired of funky water....

Our ski locker is terrible for not draining, we have a 400 lb ballast bag with pumps in there and it always has 1" of water in there. I was thinking of putting in a drain pplug like the one in the engine area so I can easily dump water in the shop at home. I was also thinking of maybe a 2nd bilde pump might work as well? thoughts

Tired of funky water....

It doesn't have a drain there? for sure install one, I thought that was standard, apparently not in '98. That has to be a less than 1 hour job.

I have the same problem with mine. When the boat is on the trailer, the low point is in the ski locker. I have been thinking about adding a drain plug also. Right now I drive the boat up a steep hill before I get home to get all of the water out. Keep us posted on the project.

I have an 08 Response LXI, and there is a drain plug in the very back of the ski locker that drains through the hull.

Are you POSITIVE you don't have one? Like, in mine, if the liner slips back over the square drive plug, you'd never know its there.

Anyways, I needed mine to drain while on moored on the water, so I added another bilge pump. Pretty easy to do, 3 wires, a new dump out the side of the hull, and a hole into the ski locker under the dash. Make sure to get one with a built in float switch....using one that requires an external one is a pain. AND, not all auto bilge pumps have float switches, get one with a float switch.

This pump alone has kept my RLXI from sinking multiple times.

This pump alone has kept my RLXI from sinking multiple times.

If you have that much water entering your ski locker over night, you've got too large of a water leak in your boat.

If you have that much water entering your ski locker over night, you've got too large of a water leak in your boat.

If you call an open bow boat moored on a rough lake a leak, yes i have a huge leak.

A couple good rollers over the bow, and the ski locker fills up. If it gets pumped out fast, no big deal. If not, it makes the boat ride nose down on the bouy, and keeps taking them over the front.

Cover helps a little, but not enough on a rough day. I need to fab a hard cover for the bow for days like this. But that pump saves the day now.

If you call an open bow boat moored on a rough lake a leak, yes i have a huge leak.

10-4

Sorry to hear your boat takes on that much water from rollers.

I figured it was just from the shaft packing.

I have no drain for sure, I only have a small hole that drains back to the vdrive compartment. I have drilled over 20 holes in my hull so the job itself is not hard I just wondered if guys like them there. My biggest concern is the ballst bag sliding back and ripping or puncturing on the drain valve handle.

I have no drain for sure, I only have a small hole that drains back to the vdrive compartment. I have drilled over 20 holes in my hull so the job itself is not hard I just wondered if guys like them there. My biggest concern is the ballst bag sliding back and ripping or puncturing on the drain valve handle.

Don't put a T handle plug in there. Put a square drive plug, like on the back of your boat.

Like this one, without the pin.

http://images.atafa.com/full/LJ/LJ-2827142.jpg

WOW, you do realize that can affect buoyancy, right????

I'm not sure what your eluding to? they don't leak, and a average stock newer malibu proable has the same or more. Ballast inlets,outlets,water drains,tower holes wiring holes etc. Maybe your drill jobs effect bouyancy but mine don they are water tight and sealed properly ;)

I'm not sure what your eluding to? they don't leak, and a average stock newer malibu proable has the same or more. Ballast inlets,outlets,water drains,tower holes wiring holes etc. Maybe your drill jobs effect bouyancy but mine don they are water tight and sealed properly ;)

Sorry, i didn't realize you were plugging the holes with something after you drilled them.

Edited by Cervelo